Premium Member
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

DC DSL to Snowy

Premium Member

to Snowy

Re: The Skype/Microsoft Scam

I take it this is actually an issue with Skype and not some clown pretending to be Skype to steal your account/personal info to rip you off. If that's the case, this is not a scam. Screw up, yes; scam, no.

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy

Premium Member

Yup, that was my first thought but the email headers proved the emails were legit.
The difference I'm making between a screwup vs a scam is how Skype responded to my initial reply to them
*If* they had initially responded responsibly/truthfully it would have given credence to the screwup scenario.
But since they mindfully chose to reply with word game playing it took the possibility of being a screwup off the table, IMO.
short story: screwups are easy to accept if ownership is taken.

The main purpose of this thread is to hopefully help prevent others from wasting their time as I did sorting out what Skype is doing by publicly calling them out on this issue.
Skype is well aware of this thread & your reply is appreciated.
Snowy

Snowy

Premium Member

I just received this unexpected reply from Skype.
As I see this, they would have been better off not sending this one -
It makes the possibility of being chalked up to a "screwup" even more remote.

"Thank you for your reply.
We understand that you are having issues with the expiring credit card on your account. Please don't worry, we would be here to explain this to you.
Please note that as per the notice you received, when the credit card expires the subscription's recurring payment shall be cancelled. However, even though the recurring payment was been cancelled, you can still use your subscription until the end of the contract.

The email their referring to is posted in the first post.
Does anyone get the message that:
"when the credit card expires the subscription's recurring payment shall be cancelled. However, even though the recurring payment was been cancelled, you can still use your subscription until the end of the contract."???

I sure don't & that's what makes it a scam rather than a screwup, IMO.

"So, there's no need for you to worry about the subscription on your account as you already paid in full. But, just in case that you wish to enable the subscription's recurring function, you may change your credit card details on your account.

So at least now they are acknowledging that I don't even have "Auto Recharge" enabled on the account - sheesh.