how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

shibbiness

join:2012-10-28
Mississauga, ON

switching to the rogers

Canceled my teksavvy internet. Can I avoid the 50 dollar install fee and pick up the modem myself? If so what is process?

MJB

join:2012-01-29

1 recommendation

enjoy robellus....!!!

shibbiness

Mississauga, ON
ok? anyhow I got it up and running now.

Peter 2

@psionteklogix.com
Are you on Rogers network now? Could you give us an update on network status? I'm also thinking of switching today.

MJB

enjoy being tricked by robellus.... aka the hook..

RLBL

join:2012-11-26
Gloucester, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
said by MJB:

enjoy being tricked by robellus.... aka the hook..

Some people just need service... better the devil that can provide it than the angel that can't.

MJB

gotta love it when robellus rapes tpia.... rogers/bell offering amazing super cool deals on extra 250GB... of bandwidth... wtf.....

bell is using memes now... got 250 GB paid for 20GB... the baby win meme

shibbiness

Mississauga, ON
What are you, 12?

Anyhow, to the other poster above, yes it's up and running. I got rid of technician fee by going to Rogers Plus and picking up modem. The first Rogers CSR told me it wasnt possible (lol). So I called Billing again and confirmed I had a hot connection, he then cancelled my appointment and left an note on my account saying I will pick up the modem. Hour later I was up and running.

Just a heads up, Rogers Modems are complete TRASH. And they won't provision Thomson and/or any other modems that they don't provide.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
Regulatory Capture at work.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to shibbiness
How are the rogers modems trash? If you just put them in bridge mode, they're as good as any other. And 4 Gbe switch ports are pretty straight forward.

The only the thing that generally sucks on combo gateways is the WAP portion of the device.

And you can actually get bridge modems like Motorolas provisioned if you try hard enough. I image you cold do the same with a Thompson, it would just take a dozen or so calls and some patience.

Hooter

join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON
said by TypeS:

How are the rogers modems trash? If you just put them in bridge mode, they're as good as any other. And 4 Gbe switch ports are pretty straight forward.

I think the point is that you should not have to put them into bridge mode. When Rogers advertises that their modems "deliver consistent speeds and signal strength throughout the home" and the gateways do not provide this, Rogers is not living up to their promises. The average customer expects that the all-in-one device will work and that they will get decent wireless signals throughout their homes. When the device fails to live up to promises, many customers simply do not know what to do. Why provide an all-in-one device when only half of it works properly?

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

1 recommendation

said by Hooter:

I think the point is that you should not have to put them into bridge mode....Why provide an all-in-one device when only half of it works properly?

Yea, 10 thumbs up Hooter. At least SOME of us know wtf is going on. I think a lot of people today are so blinded by their need for tech at ANY price that common sense goes out the window.

Just laughable. Paying $249 for a new Rogers gateway and then running home and DISABLING half of it.

vincom

join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON
Reviews:
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to shibbiness
rogers never states what size of home their router will work or how many walls it can go through. lol.
as for switching to rogers id have to agree with op, how long must you wait for internet access, for me that's our everything in our house, im on tsi but i have no issues at the moment but if i did then i would consider rogers again or maybe try start if they seem to have no issues

Hooter

join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON
said by vincom:

rogers never states what size of home their router will work or how many walls it can go through. lol.

I have read where people cannot even get decent reception in the same room as a Rogers gateway - less than 10 feet away. Meanwhile, I have our 3rd party router located at one end of the basement and get good reception on the third floor at the opposite end of the house. You could not get any further away unless you walked up the street! So much for a Rogers gateway!

shibbiness

Mississauga, ON

3 edits
reply to vincom
said by vincom:

No they don't but they charge something like $199 to buy it outright so you'd expect it not to be crap.

said by TypeS:

The only the thing that generally sucks on combo gateways is the WAP portion of the device.

As mentioned above, you should not have to put it in bridged mode. I honestly hoped (silly me) I could use the built in Wifi so I can decrease the number of devices I have and maybe even take my router to school. LOLNOPE.

And since switching to Rogers and putting their modem next to my router, the signal on my 2.4ghz wireless has gotten significantly worse even though I'm in bridged mode. It could be something else causing the problems but AFAIK I haven't changed anything else. Still playing around with switching to different channels and other settings but no luck so far. My 5ghz connection seems fine.

said by TypeS:

And you can actually get bridge modems like Motorolas provisioned if you try hard enough. I image you cold do the same with a Thompson, it would just take a dozen or so calls and some patience.

Point is it shouldn't need a dozen calls to get a modem provisioned. I'm sure if you call 100 times and threaten to cancel, odds are someone in retentions will give you some crazy 85% discount. Not every one has the time to deal with that bs.