spc
uniqs

comcastcust
@comcast.net

comcastcust to joejoejeo

Anon

to joejoejeo

Re: [STB] New set top box - stuck on initial screen

yes I have tried unplugging the box both from the back of the box and also from the wall directly for 60+ seconds. when plugged back in the box turns on and for about 15 seconds the TV screen is black with "xifinity" written in large red letters. Then it appears that the cable box cycles off (power buton shuts off) and turns back on and then the 3 lights begin flashing left to right and then the "xfinity" word on the screen goes away and a box pops up that says "NO SIGNAL" please check your connections, etc
joejoejeo
join:2006-04-02
Bloomington, IN

1 edit

joejoejeo

call them and have then check the qualify of the lines and the signal quality

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U to comcastcust

Premium Member

to comcastcust
said by comcastcust :

yes I have tried unplugging the box both from the back of the box and also from the wall directly for 60+ seconds. when plugged back in the box turns on and for about 15 seconds the TV screen is black with "xifinity" written in large red letters. Then it appears that the cable box cycles off (power buton shuts off) and turns back on and then the 3 lights begin flashing left to right and then the "xfinity" word on the screen goes away and a box pops up that says "NO SIGNAL" please check your connections, etc

Are you connected HDMI or other?

That is exacty what my self install box did when I set it up. I connected it to the tv via HDMI and got that exact behavior. I would let it go with the flashing lights and it seemed like nothing happened.

I changed to component for kicks and giggles & power cycled - I then had an info screen while the lights were flahing. It was a blue BIOS type interface on the screen stating the box was downloading and installing new software. It took at least an hour, if not longer.

I assumed that the HDMI driver does not load while this loader screen runs, so that was why I had "no signal" on the tv

When I let it go long enough connected on component, it eventually finished its download and rebooted and worked
joejoejeo
Bloomington, IN

joejoejeo

also check to see if the box's serial number is in your account and not in the tech notes

comcastcust
@comcast.net

comcastcust

Anon

its connected via HMDI cable. i never experienced the blue screen to speak of, but probably because a technician came out and did the install for us, so no self install. i dont have any component cables to try out. any other ideas how to fix this? the lights have been flashing for about 2 hrs with no change at all.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U

Premium Member

do you have any other tv connection cables? coax for rf channel 3, composite cables, etc?
ILpt4U

ILpt4U to comcastcust

Premium Member

to comcastcust
On HDMI I never made it to the blue loader screen - it simply stuck on the lights flashing left to right. My guess was the hdmi driver not loading when the box is in that mode. IDK if it actually was downloading or not when the TV said no signal - I never let it go that long

For kicks and giggles, take it to the DVR location and try it there. And if possible, connect to tv with something other than hdmi until you are passed the left-to-right flashing lights

comcastcust
@comcast.net

comcastcust to ILpt4U

Anon

to ILpt4U
ok sorry for not using the correct names for these things im not very tech savvy with this stuff..but i had a cord (multiple colors) going from same TV to a DVD player. I unplugged the red/white/yellow cords from the DVD player and plugged those into the cable box (other end plugged into the TV component IN slot) and tuned the TV to AV something (instead of HDMI1) and unplugged the HDMI cable all together. Now i have a blue screen that says
the ASTB needs to download new software. this could take a few mins, please be patient.

DOCSIS COMMON DOWNLOAD
DOCSIS channel:locked
Two way mode: signed on
waiting for SMMP TRIGGER

Good/?

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

That is where it starts - eventually it will start the download, and give you a progress indicator in some units - blocks maybe?

The actual download can take awhile - hour+ probably

After mine finished the download, it rebooted into iGuide, and initially only "basic" channels worked. Tech Support chat had to push something to the box to get all my channels to actually come thru - Guessing that the download put the box into a full factory default & it needed something pushed to it to allow all the channels
comcastcust4
join:2013-08-29

comcastcust4

Ok once the download completes will I be able to unplug the component cable and go back to using the HDMI? Also any idea why this would happen after we had been using the box nearly 2
Months with no issues?
joejoejeo
Bloomington, IN

joejoejeo

maybe they updated the software and your box did not install it properly or your box did not update to the newer software and the software the box has is now not being used by comcast

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U to comcastcust4

Premium Member

to comcastcust4
said by comcastcust4:

Ok once the download completes will I be able to unplug the component cable and go back to using the HDMI? Also any idea why this would happen after we had been using the box nearly 2
Months with no issues?

A guess, but Comcast pushed a signal to update the box's software/firmware, but when it tried to load with the HDMI connection, the loader fails

But yes, once the new software/firmware is loaded in, HDMI should work again
comcastcust4

comcastcust4

Thank you for all your help. Hopefully this works!
comcastcust4

comcastcust4

Ok 45 minutes later the screen looks exactly the same. No progress bar anywhere/ at all?

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U

Premium Member

I don't even remember how long it took until it began the actual download -- you don't get a progress bar, more of a counter of total units to download vs total units already downloaded
comcastcust4

comcastcust4

Yeah no counter at all as of yet.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U

Premium Member

So did it end up working after letting it try last night?