spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Grover8
join:2012-01-06
Fresh Meadows, NY

3 recommendations

Grover8

Verizon just sent me a letter for 'excessive usage' (pic)

Click for full size
Just received a certified letter today, and I'm not happy about this at all. Apparently Verizon thought it was worth spending $6.11 on postage to mail me a single sheet of paper.

I am not running a business or servers, and they don't specify what is 'excessive' usage so I don't even know how much bandwidth I am allowed to be using. What I want to know is why Verizon selling 150 Mbps fiber optic Internet connections if they don't support 'very high usage levels'? I pay for this expensive package under the impression that I am supposed to be getting a lot of bandwidth.

Suggestions where I should go on this? I am not a "business" so I don't see why I should be on a business class tier when I am using this connection for residential purposes. I don't even know how much data I use every month as Verizon doesn't provide any tools for tracking usage.

I already pay $160 a month for service so I wonder how much more does this company want?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Do you have a rough idea of how much data you use? Anecdotal evidence supports a "cap" of roughly 2-4TB/month. Somebody using that much data should probably know they're using that much. If you don't think your usage is close to 1TB/month, you may have other issues (malware/viruses/etc).

If you call Verizon, they should be able to tell you how much you've used.

As for the business class service, it's $1000s/month in most cases, so... probably not an option.
MrFix3
join:2007-05-02
Eastchester, NY

MrFix3 to Grover8

to Grover8
I received the same letter. I believe running Tor as a non-exit relay is what caused me to hit their "excessive use" threshold.

Are you running Tor, Bittorrent, Subsonic, or some other server type application that potentially eats up bandwidth?
Grover8
join:2012-01-06
Fresh Meadows, NY

Grover8

I don't use Tor much and I'm certainly not running a relay.

I torrent some but I do know I typically do less than 1 TB of traffic in torrents a month. My torrent client does track that usage.

I do keep private backups of my data in cloud storage and I do have a lot of data to keep backed up.

But no, I have not been tracking the usage of all the stuff I do combined into one statistic (Netflix, games, cloud backup, etc)

I've been waiting on the phone with Verizon for the last 30 minutes so they can tell me more... good thing I'm doing something else.
MrFix3
Eastchester, NY

MrFix3

Tech support probably won't be able to help. I did a support chat and they gave me a phone number to call during business hours.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to Grover8

MVM

to Grover8
In Houkouonchi's thread, it was mentioned that there's apparently a ballpark usage limit of 2-3TB now on FiOS, although none of that is officially confirmed.

If you're using around 2TB a month on a 150M package, then this is probably going to start becoming a problem.
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

serge87 to Thinkdiff

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

Do you have a rough idea of how much data you use? Anecdotal evidence supports a "cap" of roughly 2-4TB/month.

said by Smith6612:

In Houkouonchi's thread, it was mentioned that there's apparently a ballpark usage limit of 2-3TB now on FiOS, although none of that is officially confirmed.

Since the original letter this past May that I received, I've cut my usage down from 90TB/month to 10-12TB/month and I have not seen a letter yet knock on wood so the cap might be somewhere around there(roughly 40Mbps sustained).
said by Smith6612:

If you're using around 2TB a month on a 150M package, then this is probably going to start becoming a problem.

Never thought I'd see the day that something like that was said about FIOS!
nyrrule27
join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ

nyrrule27 to MrFix3

to MrFix3
Tech support is not gonna be able to help. We have been directed to direct you to the telephone number on the letter.

germ
join:2006-09-30
Long Beach, CA

germ to serge87

to serge87
According to this Verizon's cap is 10TB a month. I have no idea why a residential user would be using more than that.
quote:
Elek tells me the company is in the process of notifying around 45 of the company's 5.8 million residential FiOS users that their usage is excessive. By Verizon's standard, this is in excess of around ten terabytes per month.
»Verizon Cracks Down on 'Excessive' FiOS Users [187] comments
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k to Grover8

to Grover8
this is crazy I never hit 1TB in many years lol.
serge87
New York

serge87 to germ

to germ
said by germ:

According to this Verizon's cap is 10TB a month. I have no idea why a residential user would be using more than that.

quote:
Elek tells me the company is in the process of notifying around 45 of the company's 5.8 million residential FiOS users that their usage is excessive. By Verizon's standard, this is in excess of around ten terabytes per month.
»Verizon Cracks Down on 'Excessive' FiOS Users [187] comments

The funny(or sad) thing is that 10TB/month is around 40Mbps sustained 24/7 per user, per 32-node splitter, which is NOTHING for GPON technology...

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Thats about the limit of the upload slot for GPON 32*40 = 1.2gps ( 1.244gps is the maximum for GPON upstream on Verizon )
serge87
New York

serge87

said by guppy_fish:

Thats about the limit of the upload slot for GPON 32*40 = 1.2gps ( 1.244gps is the maximum for GPON upstream on Verizon )

I would think that download bandwidth is used much more disproportionately higher than upload bandwidth? Except for a few like houkouonchi.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Where would one store 90TB, got quantity 25 4TB drives laying around every month?. All posters are file servers, VPN or TOR relay, making the traffic all upload or both in the case of VPN/TOR
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k to Grover8

to Grover8
said by Grover8:

Just received a certified letter today, and I'm not happy about this at all. Apparently Verizon thought it was worth spending $6.11 on postage to mail me a single sheet of paper.

I am not running a business or servers, and they don't specify what is 'excessive' usage so I don't even know how much bandwidth I am allowed to be using. What I want to know is why Verizon selling 150 Mbps fiber optic Internet connections if they don't support 'very high usage levels'? I pay for this expensive package under the impression that I am supposed to be getting a lot of bandwidth.

Suggestions where I should go on this? I am not a "business" so I don't see why I should be on a business class tier when I am using this connection for residential purposes. I don't even know how much data I use every month as Verizon doesn't provide any tools for tracking usage.

I already pay $160 a month for service so I wonder how much more does this company want?

Exactly.. I have like 5TB in total in all my drives and it took me 6 months to fill 300GB of files.. you guys are super crazy lolz.
serge87
New York

serge87 to guppy_fish

to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

Where would one store 90TB, got quantity 25 4TB drives laying around every month?. All posters are file servers, VPN or TOR relay, making the traffic all upload or both in the case of VPN/TOR

I only need a single 128GB SSD to do 90TB, it's not that difficult. On the upload side, it's roughly 1-5% of total download, so about 4TB worth of upload.
Expand your moderator at work

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

4 edits

1 recommendation

bohratom to Grover8

to Grover8

Re: Verizon just sent me a letter for 'excessive usage' (pic)

Im glad to see Verizon is clamping down on users using 5TB+/mo (keep in mind Comcast had a 250GB limit, or roughly 20x less) if not, guess who ends up paying for the increased bandwidth augmentations, Yep, you me and the rest of FIOS users...

fatal
join:2000-12-29
Brooklyn, NY

fatal to Grover8

to Grover8
This is becoming very disturbing has the 10tb cap been confirmed? I been dying to get fios but seeing this gives me second thoughts however I could probably live with a 10tb cap if Verizon was to confirm that 10tb is in fact the magic number this reminds me of the old Comcast days

houkouonchi
join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA

houkouonchi to bohratom

to bohratom
said by bohratom:

Im glad to see Verizon is clamping down on users using 5TB+/mo (keep in mind Comcast had a 250GB limit, or roughly 20x less) if not, guess who ends up paying for the increased bandwidth augmentations, Yep, you me and the rest of FIOS users...

Why are you glad to see it? most of these users are not the ones raping youtube/netflix that causes issues for other customers and vz still makes money off of them. If vz still makes money off them why are you paying the increased bandwidth augmentations.

I wouldn't have an issue with this if had a more expensive FIOS option and allowed you to use the bandwidth but unfortunately that is not the case. The only option is metro ethernet which will run you $1000 minimum for lower speeds than FIOS gives you.
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

iknow_t to Grover8

to Grover8
this is like a car dealer advertising an unlimited warranty, you go buy the car, then 50,000 miles later, you take it back to the dealer for needed service, but they tell you that it states in the contract that you cannot put excessive miles on the car!!.. even though it has an unlimited warranty!!. is this FRAUD or what??

houkouonchi
Ontario, CA

houkouonchi to fatal

to fatal
said by fatal:

This is becoming very disturbing has the 10tb cap been confirmed? I been dying to get fios but seeing this gives me second thoughts however I could probably live with a 10tb cap if Verizon was to confirm that 10tb is in fact the magic number this reminds me of the old Comcast days

They may not be going after people under 10TB right now but I know 10TB is not acceptable to VZ. I specifically asked if it would be ok if I cut down my usage by around half which would be about 10 TB per connection and they flat out said no way, That is when I finally got quoted that 90% reduction number as they refused to give me a number at first.

I have feeling 10TB is just where they are doing it now (to start out) and once they have reduced all the users under that amount then they will go after the next heaviest users after they have taken care of all the >10 TB ones.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to germ

MVM

to germ
That reads to me as an average of how far the top 45 users have gone over Verizon's "data limit" rather than what could be the cap. Although, if serge87 is still using 10-12TB/m and hasn't gotten a letter *knocks on wood* yet then perhaps that's what it is.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to serge87

Premium Member

to serge87
said by serge87:

I only need a single 128GB SSD to do 90TB, it's not that difficult. On the upload side, it's roughly 1-5% of total download, so about 4TB worth of upload.

That makes no sense, if its mostly download, do you just download all that data to throw it away?

CGMason14
Nj Roaddog
Mountainside, NJ

6 recommendations

CGMason14 to Grover8

to Grover8
Gotta love the games they are playing.

Verizon: It's unlimited! Sign up today!
(Subscriber uses connection)
Verizon: You will be disconnected for excessive use!
Subscriber: But you said it was unlimited?
Verizon: It's not
Subscriber: What is the limit?
Verizon: Umm.. we can't tell you.

If they are going to cap the fastest tiers, what is the point in offering them?

guppy_fish
Premium Member
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

said by CGMason14:

If they are going to cap the fastest tiers, what is the point in offering them?

Time savings and productivity.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

Productivity is reduced if you're going to be limiting data. So Time Savings...
MrFix3
Eastchester, NY

1 recommendation

MrFix3 to Grover8

to Grover8
Note that rather than directing you to call a customer service or technical rep to assist you in fixing the issue they direct you to call a "Sales Executive, Medium Business" to try to sell you a higher cost service.

IMHO there are several reasons for Verizon clamping down:

1: Upgrade these users to a higher cost business-level service (which still has a cap)

2: Eliminate traffic from Bittorrent and Subsonic which compete with services Verizon offers (VoD, premium HD packages)

3: Protect premium content providers and government agencies/partners by eliminating Tor traffic

Interesting that these notifications are coming out while the Snowden/NSA controversy continues. Probably not related at all.
nyrrule27
join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ

nyrrule27

Tech support is not gonna be able to help you correct the problem and customer service is the sales and billing office. They can't help you either. The person they are referring you to is prob a large business sales rep.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to MrFix3

Premium Member

to MrFix3
Tor traffic helps the government/TLAs.