uniqs

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to Grover8

MVM,

to Grover8

Re: Verizon just sent me a letter for 'excessive usage' (pic)

Do you have a rough idea of how much data you use? Anecdotal evidence supports a "cap" of roughly 2-4TB/month. Somebody using that much data should probably know they're using that much. If you don't think your usage is close to 1TB/month, you may have other issues (malware/viruses/etc).

If you call Verizon, they should be able to tell you how much you've used.

As for the business class service, it's $1000s/month in most cases, so... probably not an option.
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

serge87

said by Thinkdiff:

Do you have a rough idea of how much data you use? Anecdotal evidence supports a "cap" of roughly 2-4TB/month.

said by Smith6612:

In Houkouonchi's thread, it was mentioned that there's apparently a ballpark usage limit of 2-3TB now on FiOS, although none of that is officially confirmed.

Since the original letter this past May that I received, I've cut my usage down from 90TB/month to 10-12TB/month and I have not seen a letter yet knock on wood so the cap might be somewhere around there(roughly 40Mbps sustained).
said by Smith6612:

If you're using around 2TB a month on a 150M package, then this is probably going to start becoming a problem.

Never thought I'd see the day that something like that was said about FIOS!

germ
join:2006-09-30
Long Beach, CA

germ

According to this Verizon's cap is 10TB a month. I have no idea why a residential user would be using more than that.
quote:
Elek tells me the company is in the process of notifying around 45 of the company's 5.8 million residential FiOS users that their usage is excessive. By Verizon's standard, this is in excess of around ten terabytes per month.
»Verizon Cracks Down on 'Excessive' FiOS Users [187] comments
serge87
New York

serge87

said by germ:

According to this Verizon's cap is 10TB a month. I have no idea why a residential user would be using more than that.

quote:
Elek tells me the company is in the process of notifying around 45 of the company's 5.8 million residential FiOS users that their usage is excessive. By Verizon's standard, this is in excess of around ten terabytes per month.
»Verizon Cracks Down on 'Excessive' FiOS Users [187] comments

The funny(or sad) thing is that 10TB/month is around 40Mbps sustained 24/7 per user, per 32-node splitter, which is NOTHING for GPON technology...

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Thats about the limit of the upload slot for GPON 32*40 = 1.2gps ( 1.244gps is the maximum for GPON upstream on Verizon )
serge87
New York

serge87

said by guppy_fish:

Thats about the limit of the upload slot for GPON 32*40 = 1.2gps ( 1.244gps is the maximum for GPON upstream on Verizon )

I would think that download bandwidth is used much more disproportionately higher than upload bandwidth? Except for a few like houkouonchi.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Where would one store 90TB, got quantity 25 4TB drives laying around every month?. All posters are file servers, VPN or TOR relay, making the traffic all upload or both in the case of VPN/TOR
serge87
New York

serge87

said by guppy_fish:

Where would one store 90TB, got quantity 25 4TB drives laying around every month?. All posters are file servers, VPN or TOR relay, making the traffic all upload or both in the case of VPN/TOR

I only need a single 128GB SSD to do 90TB, it's not that difficult. On the upload side, it's roughly 1-5% of total download, so about 4TB worth of upload.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to germ

MVM

to germ
That reads to me as an average of how far the top 45 users have gone over Verizon's "data limit" rather than what could be the cap. Although, if serge87 is still using 10-12TB/m and hasn't gotten a letter *knocks on wood* yet then perhaps that's what it is.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to serge87

Premium Member

to serge87
said by serge87:

I only need a single 128GB SSD to do 90TB, it's not that difficult. On the upload side, it's roughly 1-5% of total download, so about 4TB worth of upload.

That makes no sense, if its mostly download, do you just download all that data to throw it away?
serge87
New York

1 edit

serge87

said by guppy_fish:

said by serge87:

That makes no sense, if its mostly download, do you just download all that data to throw it away?

Pretty much it, it's all GET requests so after it's done being analyzed and indexed it's deleted.

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese to germ

Premium Member

to germ
10TB seems a bit excessive for a home user

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to guppy_fish

Premium Member

to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

I've got over 150TB of storage at home. Between my three unRAId setups, WHS, NAS devices and dekstops PCs and laptops. Plus even more if you want to count the 14+ Terabytes of storage in my TiVos and in other media devices.

Now I'm not using all of this capacity but I am using around two thirds of the total capacity right now.
Mostly 2TB drives with some 1.5TB drives and a dozen 3TB drives. No 4TB drives in use yet.
46436203 (banned)
join:2013-01-03

46436203 (banned)

said by aaronwt:

said by guppy_fish:

I've got over 150TB of storage at home. Between my three unRAId setups, WHS, NAS devices and dekstops PCs and laptops. Plus even more if you want to count the 14+ Terabytes of storage in my TiVos and in other media devices.

And if you want to backup that data offsite to a provider that offers unlimited storage space like CrashPlan, you can easily do 10TB a month.

As for me, I have 50TB of storage at home, and I know I'm sure as hell not comfortable with it not being backed up to offsite storage.

One fire, flood, tornado or robbery and that's a lot of data to lose and never be able to get back.

So backing up a large quantity of data to the cloud is another legitimate way to use a lot of data on a home connection. A lot of these so-called "bandwidth hogs" are probably just smart users protecting their data while everyone else who isn't taking advantage of their speeds will be crying when they have a hard drive failure.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

Hmm good point. I've lived with pathetic sub-megabit upstream for so long that I'd written off online backup entirely. Now that I have 20 Mbit up, maybe I should look into it!

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to 46436203

Premium Member

to 46436203
said by 46436203:

So backing up a large quantity of data to the cloud is another legitimate way to use a lot of data on a home connection. A lot of these so-called "bandwidth hogs" are probably just smart users protecting their data while everyone else who isn't taking advantage of their speeds will be crying when they have a hard drive failure.

Are you generating 50 TB of data every month? Once the initial backup is done only new and changed data needs to be uploaded, and for changed data most backup systems are smart enough to only need to upload the changed parts of files and not whole files.

/M