how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DeViLzzz

join:2004-07-29
Sarnia, ON

[INTERNET] Am I being throttled ?

I think I saw mention of it being fact that when users go over their total usage for the month with Start their internet gets throttled. Now with that said ever since I went over my usage for the month when I try to download during off peak hours (cuz I don't want to pay too much in overages) I am getting awful download epeeds even to the point where it stop downloading altogether for short periods of time. Before hitting the usage cap I was getting an average of 3.4 MB / sec download rate on Steam from what I could tell and I had the rate actually go over 4.0 MB / sec a few times. Now it is just awful. What is the deal ?

GreenEnvy22

join:2011-08-04
St Catharines, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

Starts says once you go over your monthly or daily usage, they don't throttle, they just make your traffic lower priority then others. So you won't necessarily slow down at all (like you do with throttling), but if there is congestion at Start's facilities, then your packets might just have to wait a bit.

Rocca doesn't expect this would cause the type of issue you were seeing, so I'd assume it's something else. It could be local node congestion where you live, or maybe if it was just last night it was due to all the Rogers outages.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
reply to DeViLzzz

No, we haven't implemented the speed reduction on the maximum overage policy yet - nor does it apply to Cogeco areas at this time. If you're getting poor connections give us a call, or if it's just Steam, then it may just be Steam for a short period of time.

DeViLzzz

join:2004-07-29
Sarnia, ON

Steam did some updates recently so maybe they fudged things up for me on their end. Whatever it is well it is a noticeable speed drop in terms of downloading as that .4 all the way up to 1.4 MB/sec missing can be huge in terms of how much you get downloaded in that 2 am to 8 am hour window.

Last night I didn't get much done as I didn't set up enough downloads. :Z

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

I show you flat-lining for most of the night last night, there were a couple short dips but otherwise pretty constant 25Mbps from 2:05am to 5:30am.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

it's a bit scary you have all the graphs altho it would be really cool if you could go to the Start usage page and see a 24 hour or more graph of your usage.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

It'll be in our new portal for customers to see.

FTTHTechie

@pathcom.com

said by rocca:

It'll be in our new portal for customers to see.

When can we expect this new portal ?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

It's well on its way but not close enough to give a time yet.