spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rik3452

join:2013-08-22
Windsor, ON

Which companies can do FTTH in Sountern Ontario ?

... specifically South Windsor area ?
-(it's an older area, but I would just like to know if they can first, cost will be decided later...)

Thanks.

MJB

join:2012-01-29
Reviews:
·VMedia
the bell/rogers/cogeco/telus/shaw/videotron monopoly won't let you... just like the crtc write's a rule that tpia can't lay their own infrastrucuture... the bigger picture is that the banks fund the telecoms and the plan is to upgrade to ftth when the nsa/spy grid is complete..

markf

join:2008-01-24
Burlington, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Electronic Box
reply to rik3452
Existing infrastructure is sufficient for the needs of most people for now. Bell is still squeezing more and more from copper and will continue to do so for a while yet.

Cable has room to grow too.

I can remember 14.4k modems, when the 1 meg modem came out, it was crazy. Who would have thought at the time we'd have 100 Mbps from old copper on the horizon?

I'm sure in time fibre will be strung and I would guess places with areal plant will see it first. I'm sure it's no conspiracy, just economics. Why string fibre when existing infrastructure does the job (profit) and when the parts needed for a fibre network will be cheaper in the future. If you're selling gig lines, you need to be able to manage those speeds on the backend, that equipment will be much cheaper by the time people are paying for those speeds.

There are small pockets around. I know a London area company is stringing up Norwich down there somewhere.

To get back to the OP's question, I'm sure it can be done if money is no issue. Otherwise, I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

bitchtorn

join:2006-10-11
Peterborough, ON
reply to rik3452
We have had fiber installed at some pretty odd ball places in Ontario. Bell / Rogers / Local utilities - generally can provide access.

We have had construction costs of 1-2k in some spots while others are 10-20-30k.

It really depends on location/access and who's lines.

Also, getting 10/50/100 meg dedicated from such lines... is not cheap. like $300/$500/$1000 per month.

Hope this helps!

zong
Premium
join:2005-07-21
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to rik3452
You can get fibre laid into your premises anywhere, you just have to realize it will cost you.

Our office building got fibre (four floors, us and one other tenant on the ground floor), but Bell had already put feibre into the demarc. Cost: Engineering and deployment was about $2000.00, 10 meg symetrical, no cap, offnet Cogent is $1000.00 a month or so.

If there isn't fibre close by, that number as stated above will go up into the five digit range.

So, factor in at least a couple grand engineering / install and at least 1000.00 a month if you don't want 95% percentile or whatever, for 10 meg. Give or take. Again, it's all about how close you are to an existing fibre plant.

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to MJB
said by MJB:

the bell/rogers/cogeco/telus/shaw/videotron monopoly won't let you... just like the crtc write's a rule that tpia can't lay their own infrastrucuture... the bigger picture is that the banks fund the telecoms and the plan is to upgrade to ftth when the nsa/spy grid is complete..

Where'd you buy your tin foil hat?

The CRTC has no say in whether someone lays their own fiber or not. Any company can do it, but no one has for the simple fact that it's cost prohibitive for anyone to do so. Only the companies that already have infrastructure in place are likely to ever put FTTH in place as they're eventually forced to replace their current systems due to age.

It can be DECADES before we see a majority of households in Canada set up for FTTH.
--
Tom

MJB

join:2012-01-29
look up utah data center.... anyway ftth won't come anyway companies care only about profit...

mikee

join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON
kudos:1
ofcourse they do why would they care about anything other than profit? welcome to north america!

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:6
reply to rik3452
said by rik3452:

-(it's an older area, but I would just like to know if they can first, cost will be decided later...)

Thanks.

Nothing in South Windsor, but if you want to build a house in Legacy Grove in LaSalle just off Matchette, we can talk
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to TLS2000
said by TLS2000:

It can be DECADES before we see a majority of households in Canada Southern Ontario set up for FTTH.

Fixed it for you.

There's already lots of FTTH in Canada - just not in Southern Ontario. Whether or not it is because we're the only location where the majority of telephone wiring is underground - even in rural areas - is beyond me. Needless to say, even today you'll find a lot of it in Atlantic Canada, Quebec and the Prairies with a whole bunch going into Northern Ontario right now too as I type this.

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
Hence my statement of "majority of Canada" and not "Canada" in general.
--
Tom

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

There's already lots of FTTH in Canada

Your definition and everyone elses definition of lots are not the same thing.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by 34764170:

Your definition and everyone elses definition of lots are not the same thing.

When one's initial definition of "Canada" extends beyond just Toronto and Southern Ontario, it tends to.

zed173

join:2010-07-17
Mississauga, ON
reply to HeadSpinning
Interesting. If I ever find myself moving back there we'll definitely talk

Etobicoke, ON
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

When one's initial definition of "Canada" extends beyond just Toronto and Southern Ontario, it tends to.

That's the whole point. What has been rolled out is in a small few cities and the rest has a little sprinkling here and there. In the bigger picture it is very little.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Halifax, Regina, Saskatoon and Quebec City aren't small cities - that is, at least not to people who live outside the Centre of the Universe, anyway. Sault Ste Marie, Sudbury, Moncton, Fredericton, Charlottetown and Saint John are also regional centres regardless of their population and would typically not be regarded as "small"

What were you saying about the "big picture" again?

Etobicoke, ON
Doesn't change what I said.
Expand your moderator at work

Startuser

@start.ca
reply to 34764170

Re: Which companies can do FTTH in Sountern Ontario ?

said by 34764170:

How about the fact that Bell Aliant has penetration to over 650,000 households for FTTH in the Maritimes and is truly uncapped and provides free speed upgrades on existing ftth packages.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON
said by Startuser :

said by 34764170:

How about the fact that Bell Aliant has penetration to over 650,000 households for FTTH in the Maritimes and is truly uncapped and provides free speed upgrades on existing ftth packages.

Is that 650,000 homes passed, or homes serviced?
--

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON
reply to MJB
said by MJB:

just like the crtc write's a rule that tpia can't lay their own infrastrucuture...

I was just reading back through the posts and saw this. I HAVE to respond. This is absolute rubbish, and completely false. Any Canadian Carrier can lay their own infrastructure - competitive or incumbent.

The CRTC has written no such rule, and I challenge you to show it to me.
--

rik3452

Windsor, ON

2 edits
reply to HeadSpinning
said by HeadSpinning:

said by rik3452:

Thanks.

Nothing in South Windsor, but if you want to build a house in Legacy Grove in LaSalle just off Matchette, we can talk

Talk ?, hey I'm all ears, just fill in the blankx, and of course I'll listen, and lets see what we can both do ?
1st off, it sounds like you're saying if I build a home in "in Legacy Grove in LaSalle just off Matchette, we can talk "
ok, so now what, I get to share your Fibre, mmm, is it FTTH, so ... uhmmm?
Go ahead, talk all you want, pleeez.
No, seriously, what are you talking about. ?

Ok fine, but as far as Fibre goes (FTTH, or otherwise), in anything basically south of Toronto, it's basically NON-existent. ?!
Soooo, NO, nuthin' "is FIXED", unlike Mr. @Gone, who pretends to believe, and wrongfully says he "...Fixed it for you..." geezus.

So why don't I just move to Halifax. ? -that should solve this problem.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Well, Mr. Gone knows a bit about this because any new development with services laid after 2010 is FTTH. There's a bunch of new neighbourhoods in London that are all FTTH. Windsor, being... well... Windsor... probably doesn't have a lot of new residential development that would have had services laid as recently as 2010. This is why there's only one neighbourhood that's FTTH.

In my own neck of the woods South of Toronto - Fort Erie - there's three neighbourhoods that are FTTH with at least two more about to be lit up in the next 6-12 months. There's an additional one that is FTTH for Cogeco only but not Bell. Thorold and Niagara Falls - also south of Toronto - have shitloads of FTTH due to recent residential development, including two massive developments in either city that are all fibre. In Kitchener-Waterloo it would be even more prolific due to residential growth.

This, of course, is just Southern Ontario. There's plenty of FTTH elsewhere, but it seems that Mr. Gone is one of the few people in this discussion who has the understanding that "Canada" means more than just Southern Ontario.

rik3452

Windsor, ON

2 edits
You're right, lets ALL move to the "new" neighbourhoods, I mean, not that the technology isn't already there to throw in FTTH, poles are there, under-street sewrs piping is there, oh but wait, it's a new development,...., so ya, I must be "Gone".
-Lol.
Listen carefully, if Bell Aliant can FTTH 1 Million homes, and counting, in the Atlantic regions, which is even older than your ToronToe, than whats the problem for Southern Ontario. ?
really.
And NO, I did NOT ask you, or anyone else, specifically, if there is "FTTH elswhere in Canada", as you obviously keep reminding everyone.

I want it here, in Southern Ontario, specifically Windsor, I guess it defintely sounds like it still ain't here.
oh well.

EDIT : ya, you're "Gone" alright.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
I will assume you know nothing of the difference between aerial and underground infrastructure. We'll just leave it at that.

And seriously, you live in Windsor. Be happy your street lights work.

rik3452

Windsor, ON

2 edits
Yes, and thanks for your local Enwin Utilities lucky charms' advice?,
Oh GoneDi

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON
reply to rik3452
said by rik3452:

1st off, it sounds like you're saying if I build a home in "in Legacy Grove in LaSalle just off Matchette, we can talk "

We're doing an FTTH trial in the Legacy Grove subdivision. It's only 26 homes, but we want to get some experience there, and in possibly a couple of other locations. The construction/sales office on site will have our service soon.
--

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

And seriously, you live in Windsor. Be happy your street lights work.

And I'm assuming you know nothing about Enwin. They're on of the best LDCs around. Their infrastructure is kept up to date. They're on an active program of system upgrades, and we have very few outages, and the ones we do have are very quickly isolated through their remote switching capability.
--

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Meh. It's Windsor.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON