uniqs
share rss forum feed

MJB

join:2012-01-29
Reviews:
·VMedia
·ACN DSL
reply to rik3452

Re: Which companies can do FTTH in Sountern Ontario ?

the bell/rogers/cogeco/telus/shaw/videotron monopoly won't let you... just like the crtc write's a rule that tpia can't lay their own infrastrucuture... the bigger picture is that the banks fund the telecoms and the plan is to upgrade to ftth when the nsa/spy grid is complete..

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
said by MJB:

the bell/rogers/cogeco/telus/shaw/videotron monopoly won't let you... just like the crtc write's a rule that tpia can't lay their own infrastrucuture... the bigger picture is that the banks fund the telecoms and the plan is to upgrade to ftth when the nsa/spy grid is complete..

Where'd you buy your tin foil hat?

The CRTC has no say in whether someone lays their own fiber or not. Any company can do it, but no one has for the simple fact that it's cost prohibitive for anyone to do so. Only the companies that already have infrastructure in place are likely to ever put FTTH in place as they're eventually forced to replace their current systems due to age.

It can be DECADES before we see a majority of households in Canada set up for FTTH.
--
Tom

MJB

join:2012-01-29
look up utah data center.... anyway ftth won't come anyway companies care only about profit...

mikee

join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON
kudos:1
ofcourse they do why would they care about anything other than profit? welcome to north america!

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to TLS2000
said by TLS2000:

It can be DECADES before we see a majority of households in Canada Southern Ontario set up for FTTH.

Fixed it for you.

There's already lots of FTTH in Canada - just not in Southern Ontario. Whether or not it is because we're the only location where the majority of telephone wiring is underground - even in rural areas - is beyond me. Needless to say, even today you'll find a lot of it in Atlantic Canada, Quebec and the Prairies with a whole bunch going into Northern Ontario right now too as I type this.

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
Hence my statement of "majority of Canada" and not "Canada" in general.
--
Tom

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

There's already lots of FTTH in Canada

Your definition and everyone elses definition of lots are not the same thing.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by 34764170:

Your definition and everyone elses definition of lots are not the same thing.

When one's initial definition of "Canada" extends beyond just Toronto and Southern Ontario, it tends to.

Etobicoke, ON
said by Gone:

When one's initial definition of "Canada" extends beyond just Toronto and Southern Ontario, it tends to.

That's the whole point. What has been rolled out is in a small few cities and the rest has a little sprinkling here and there. In the bigger picture it is very little.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Halifax, Regina, Saskatoon and Quebec City aren't small cities - that is, at least not to people who live outside the Centre of the Universe, anyway. Sault Ste Marie, Sudbury, Moncton, Fredericton, Charlottetown and Saint John are also regional centres regardless of their population and would typically not be regarded as "small"

What were you saying about the "big picture" again?

Etobicoke, ON
Doesn't change what I said.
Expand your moderator at work

Startuser

@start.ca
reply to 34764170

Re: Which companies can do FTTH in Sountern Ontario ?

said by 34764170:

How about the fact that Bell Aliant has penetration to over 650,000 households for FTTH in the Maritimes and is truly uncapped and provides free speed upgrades on existing ftth packages.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
said by Startuser :

said by 34764170:

How about the fact that Bell Aliant has penetration to over 650,000 households for FTTH in the Maritimes and is truly uncapped and provides free speed upgrades on existing ftth packages.

Is that 650,000 homes passed, or homes serviced?
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON
reply to MJB
said by MJB:

just like the crtc write's a rule that tpia can't lay their own infrastrucuture...

I was just reading back through the posts and saw this. I HAVE to respond. This is absolute rubbish, and completely false. Any Canadian Carrier can lay their own infrastructure - competitive or incumbent.

The CRTC has written no such rule, and I challenge you to show it to me.
--

stephen d8
An Important Message From
Premium
join:2005-11-25
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
·TekSavvy DSL
Well it is partially true. I don't know for other provinces, but here in Quebec, as far as cable goes, only one company is allowed to put a cable infrastructure in a given area. In other words it is why Videotron/Cogeco have exclusivity on cable networks and no other companies offer cable unless they are piggybacking on their network. As for fiber goes, I couldn't tell your the law.
--
Long time reader, small time poster

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

1 edit
that's right, but because of that TPIAs are allowed to operate on cable. you don't get that freedom in the US and other countries, however in some areas in the US there are multiple cable providers servicing a single address.

stephen d8
An Important Message From
Premium
join:2005-11-25
Montreal, QC
But that is comething I always wondered, How does cogeco get away with the fact they don't have or hardly have TPIAs on there network?
--
Long time reader, small time poster

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to stephen d8
said by stephen d8:

Well it is partially true. I don't know for other provinces, but here in Quebec, as far as cable goes, only one company is allowed to put a cable infrastructure in a given area. In other words it is why Videotron/Cogeco have exclusivity on cable networks and no other companies offer cable unless they are piggybacking on their network. As for fiber goes, I couldn't tell your the law.

If someone had the money and was willing, the CRTC would happily grant another company a license to build their own cable plant in an area already served by an existing cable incumbent. Rogers was granted a license in Halton Region. So far they've done nothing with it. The cost to do so simply makes it economically prohibitive.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
reply to stephen d8
said by stephen d8:

But that is comething I always wondered, How does cogeco get away with the fact they don't have or hardly have TPIAs on there network?

right now I assume Cogeco's costs to TPIAs is the biggest reason. I don't think TPIAs can really make money off Cogeco when competing against Cogeco's packages.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON
reply to stephen d8
said by stephen d8:

I don't know for other provinces, but here in Quebec, as far as cable goes, only one company is allowed to put a cable infrastructure in a given area.

Then how do you explain Cable VDN's operations in Montreal? They were a competitive Cable Television provider that was eventually bought by Bell and shut down. Cable, fibre, it makes no matter the technology. It is all federally regulated.

Cogeco & Videotron have exclusivity for coaxial cable based networks simply because no company would install coaxial cable in a new build today - the same reason Bell has exclusivity on their legacy copper technology.
--