uniqs

kdwycha
join:2003-01-30
Ruskin, FL

kdwycha to JeffMD

to JeffMD

Re: [CFL] Xbox App?

said by JeffMD:

Heckler, the thing is.. there is no market for it. In a cable household, %99 of the time the tv an xbox is hooked to also has cable. Using an xbox app to view an inferior version of a cable box would be silly and thus never used.

I have to disagree. I would surely use the app because it has a lot of cool features that the cable boxes do not have.

JeffMD
join:2002-08-16
Edgewater, FL

JeffMD

Were talking for the xbox though. Although I will entertain any console port atm. The number of users who would be willing to use and put up with controller support for trying to edit and add DVR shows is super super small. And you have got to admit, how many houses do you think have a room with a TV hooked to an xbox, and NOT cable too? We're talking a super tiny fraction of users. The only people I know who don't have a cable box on all their TVs.. are people who do not have cable at all.

It is not that the whole BH app is useless, but it serves a bigger purpose being on portable devices like handhelds and laptops, as well as PC's who may not be in a room with a TV. Having streamable BHTV to portable devices is a given, a lot of people wanted that. The web browser app may get less appeal, but it still offers a way to get TV on laptops and PCs that may be in rooms that do not have a TV. Laptops could also be considered a portable device too. Xbox on the other hand is not portable, and hooked up to a TV. If the TV actually got some use then the family is probably springing the extra couple of bucks for a cable box for it too.

Now in the future, it could be possible to expect that people could or would turn in boxes and opt for streamed TV vs boxed TV on guest room TVs as an alternative, especially with the xbox one trying to be everything except a game system, but that would be creating an app in the hopes of bringing around a situation rather than creating an app that would be an answer for an ongoing situation.

weaseled386
join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL

weaseled386

It work work well in my home as well. I used my Xbox360 as a Uverse set top box for over a year, and it worked great! The market for people using Xbox's isn't quite as small as you think.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by weaseled386:

It work work well in my home as well. I used my Xbox360 as a Uverse set top box for over a year, and it worked great! The market for people using Xbox's isn't quite as small as you think.

Nor is it as large as you think. To balance the scales a bit.

JeffMD
join:2002-08-16
Edgewater, FL

JeffMD to weaseled386

to weaseled386
I didn't even know uverse had an xbox download that would turn an xbox into a full fledge set top box. Pretty cool idea, especially when you consider uverse really needs as many perks like this to pry people away from cable and fight with telephone wires. ^^

Sadly current BH policies (and afaik, current tech in use by BH) doesn't allow passing of the cable video streams over wifi allowing the use of 3rd party "clients" to act as satellite cable boxes.

weaseled386
join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL

weaseled386 to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

said by weaseled386:

Nor is it as large as you think. To balance the scales a bit.

I'd argue the crowd would be larger if people knew what they were missing. As a Uverse STB the Xbox360 was not crippled in any form or fashion. There was an app installed on it, and once you opened that app it 100% appeared like you were on a standard set top box. Only it was faster, and there was less clutter in my living room and bedroom. When I had it no subscription to Live was needed. I've heard that much has changed. Oh, and I think it only worked wired to the RG.

I know they work with a different set of rules. It would be great to be able to use it though