I would not recommend a backup connection from the same place that's down

nuggie
Premium Member
join:2010-08-04
Scarborough, ON

nuggie to James Digriz

Premium Member

to James Digriz
Ah ok. I was wondering because I was receiving the same error message in my modem log and also had no internet connectivity. However in my case my modem reported:

Cable signal: Ready
Tuning: Complete
Ranging: Complete
Data Service: Connecting...
Connecting: In progress.... (Step 3 of 5)
Configuring:
Registering:

Current State: IPv4 in progress
Highest State Obtained: Connected (DHCP)

So probably a different issue.

After about a day offline my connection just "magically" came back, not sure if anything was fixed on TSI's end. Although they are still looking into some poor signal issues...
James Digriz
join:2013-08-31

James Digriz to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

Dude. I feel like shit man. I'm working every angle possible in the background. But the net result is that between you and me there's a great big road block. We have been given zero details. Officially, its the weather.

Thank you for this honesty. Up until now it felt like Teksavvy was turning into a large corporation that didn't want to admit problems. Up until now it didn't seem like any attempts were being made to fix the problem but from your frustration in your post that is obviously wrong.

Can I make a suggestion and add to your outage reports a brief description of what Teksavvy is doing to fix the problem? ie "Rogers has been notified multiple times but thus far has not responded".

Just an idea anyways.

Please also consider that the DHCP issues are occurring on more than just the two POIs listed.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

Teddy Boom to nuggie

Premium Member

to nuggie
nuggie, your online light is probably blinking? I think your problem is related to a different type of DHCP issue called HFC IP Exhaustion.

Here's what I've written before about that problem:
quote:
The third type is when you get online light blinking, or on DCM425 three lights blinking. This seems to be caused by HFC IP exhaustion. Rogers has inexplicably set a limit on the number of TPIA modems that can come online on any given CMTS (or in any neighbourhood anyway, the back end architecture isn't that clear). The tell tale symptom is a modem that syncs fine until it is provisioned, and then suddenly can't go online. This one is almost impossible to explain to any tech support at Teksavvy or Rogers. At this point I simply swap the modem, and that seems to fix the problem (or else a few days later the problem gets fixed anyway, and meanwhile swapping the modem makes the customer and I feel like something is happening, I honestly don't know which).
»Re: [Cable] Why DHCP issue happen so often and take so long to r

This comment talks about Internet IP DHCP problems that everybody else is having:
»Re: understanding my issue

nuggie
Premium Member
join:2010-08-04
Scarborough, ON

nuggie

Premium Member

said by Teddy Boom:

nuggie, your online light is probably blinking? I think your problem is related to a different type of DHCP issue called HFC IP Exhaustion.

Thanks Teddy Boom. Yes, my online light was blinking constantly when this problem occurred. After a couple minutes the modem would appear to reboot itself and start the process again, only to get stuck in the same place.

I guess either Rogers adjusted the limit on my CMTS, or I was lucky enough to come in under the limit during a brief window and some other poor soul has inherited the problem I was experiencing.

Good to know in case the problem comes back! Thx again.

Zspeed
join:2013-08-30

Zspeed to BTC Kevin

to BTC Kevin
said by BTC Kevin:

The main problem Zspeed, is that the BASE cost of the line from Bell etc. is the same for a 640/640 FTTN vs a 7168/800 or 10240/800 FTTN. if they offered a slow link. It would have to be for 24.99 don't think it's possible to go any lower in price, with how much the tariff for the line costs.

I am well aware that all TPIAs are subject to baseline tariffs approved by the CRTC (»crtc.gc.ca/8740/eng/2013 ··· 0_13.htm). However, the option of an offer with already bundled redundancy package could be a neat thing that 'common mortals' may not have thought of. I'm not saying it going to be a huge success, but for those who complain about how critical their internet connection is, it might help. The advantage is that the big carrier do not tend to soak in both DSL and cable technologies. Hell, I was never able to saturate my 6Mb adsl link (that is, to use it at max for 24/7), when I had it. People overestimate their use and simply go for the highest 'affordable' speed option, but maybe, just maybe, what they want is not speed but reliability.

Moreover, it has been extensively studied by many groups and well known by marketeers that customers does not really know how to define what they really want and in what priority. A real nice summary of that phenomenon can be seen at

»youtu.be/iIiAAhUeR6Y

Lastly the idea of pooling neighboring users has some very interesting and quirky potential, though would only be workable in high density population area such as metropolis' (Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, etc.) and wherever there is an agglomeration of condominium and apartment buildings. By using router based wireless bridging, through a segregated virtual lan over vpn, it might be possible. Managing such a layout could be a pain. But one could distribute /30 or /29 static subnets to be assigned to those distinct vlans and still be able to account who is using what amount of bandwidth. Anyways, I still need to think this thoroughly as there is a lot of holes and potential for different kind of abuse I need to iron out. But, overall, there are no technological barrier as to making this feasible.

I would certainly appreciate input from others on potential problems if they see any.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to nuggie

Premium Member

to nuggie
said by nuggie:

I guess either Rogers adjusted the limit on my CMTS, or I was lucky enough to come in under the limit during a brief window and some other poor soul has inherited the problem I was experiencing.

It could also be that the equipment was just completely offline for everybody for a certain time... Anyway, no sweat, at least your online now
Expand your moderator at work
xdrag
join:2005-02-18
North York, ON

xdrag to TSI Outages

to TSI Outages

Re: [Outages] Outage Report 08/30/2013- morning update

Could Bell and Rogers be both targeting TSI?

I'm wondering just the coincidence of both dsl and cable going down. It is so rare that both bell and rogers are both having issues.

cable4me
@teksavvy.com

cable4me to BTC Kevin

Anon

to BTC Kevin
>Only thing I could see TSI being affordably able to do as a backup connection is free dial-up account.

You could pay $2.50/month for dial up from 295.ca if you want. That is assuming that you paid for a voice line and not a dry DSL.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to xdrag

Premium Member

to xdrag
said by xdrag:

Could Bell and Rogers be both targeting TSI?

I'm wondering just the coincidence of both dsl and cable going down. It is so rare that both bell and rogers are both having issues.

They've colluded before
»fairforcanada.ca/

Looks like they collectively scared Verizon off
»www.cbc.ca/news/business ··· try.html
monsoon66
join:2007-01-13
Toronto, ON

monsoon66 to TSI Outages

to TSI Outages
Now that the long weekend is over lets hope Rogers gets off their backsides and fix these issues.
James Digriz
join:2013-08-31

James Digriz

the whole back to school timing just seems a little too perfect
GateGuardian
join:2013-09-02
m1v

GateGuardian to TSI Outages

to TSI Outages
Is there anything Teksavvy is doing to escalate this issue?

Lawyers? CRTC? Media?

cable4me
@teksavvy.com

cable4me to MaynardKrebs

Anon

to MaynardKrebs
Buying out their own wireless division from their partner is a sure thing whereas setting up shop in Canada is a risk & long term thing.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to GateGuardian

Mod

to GateGuardian
They have said that they are even in these forums but as ever due to the requirement for corporate confidentiality, they can't say anything publically without putting things further at risk.

Dee from L5M to TSI Marc

Anon

to TSI Marc
I should receive a medal for waiting this long through the Wolfedale POI outage.
I however can't wait it out much longer. Been offline at home since August 21st.
Coincidentally enough, my bill cycle ends on the 21st so I was charged up till that date. I expect not to be automatically billed from that point on until I get back online and if I do, credits should be in order.

MeRay
@rogers.com

MeRay to TSI Outages

Anon

to TSI Outages
Still issues in Kitchener. Any word?

TSI Jonathan
Premium Member
join:2011-08-24
Chatham, ON

TSI Jonathan

Premium Member

Hi MeRay,

Just took a look at our internal report for known outages and Kitchener is not listed in there. Can you post in the direct forum -> »/fo ··· avdirect so that we can troubleshoot the issue with you?

Cheers,

TSI Jonathan

MeRay
@rogers.com

MeRay

Anon

It won't let me post there.

fourboxers
Mod
join:2003-05-04
Toronto

fourboxers

Mod

You have to sign up for an account to post in the direct forum
»/join
no cost, no spam.

TSI Jonathan
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Jonathan to MeRay

Premium Member

to MeRay
Can you PM me your account information and I will set a callback to have someone call you and troubleshoot with you. Please give me your preferred contact number and best time to call you and I'll get that setup for you.

Cheers,

TSI Jonathan See Profile
monsoon66
join:2007-01-13
Toronto, ON

monsoon66 to TSI Outages

to TSI Outages
Looks like wolfdale is back up. Let's hope Comstock follows soon.

TSI Jonathan
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Jonathan

Premium Member

Fingers crossed too, I keep checking for an update from the master ticket we have open with our Vendor on that one. Will update as soon as we have something.
Dee from L5M
join:2013-09-03
Mississauga, ON

Dee from L5M

Just power cycled the modem in Wolfedale. Still no internet connection.

jm123
@steelcar.com

jm123 to TSI Jonathan

Anon

to TSI Jonathan
why is wolfdale not a master ticket anymore? the internet had been out since the 21st. It should be priority.

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS

TLS2000

Premium Member

Rogers has declared it fixed.

If you're still having issues, unplug your modem for 30 minutes and then plug it in again. See what happens.

*I'm not saying that it's actually fixed..
Dee from L5M
Mississauga, ON

Dee from L5M

30 min seems like a long time.

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS

TLS2000

Premium Member

It's what you have to do for Rogers servers to "forget" the MAC address associated with your router/computer. Once it does that, you may be able to receive an IP.
Dee from L5M
Mississauga, ON

Dee from L5M

Been offline since Aug21. 30 mins is nothing. I'll get my sister to drop by my place right now and unplug my modem.
I'll give anything a shot at this point. Thanks.