join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
None. There is no such law.

directive

@verizon.net
reply to Hall
said by Hall:

Illegal ? What law would be violated ?

Illegal? Maybe not. Ethical? Absolutely not!

James_C

join:2007-08-03
Florence, KY
There's nothing unethical about wanting residential class speed, features, and support level for a business if it reduces cost. It's only unethical if the business lies that it isn't a business to get service not offered to non-residential entities, but then a lot of people have a home based business and rather than lie, merely fail to mention they have a home based business. If the setup and support cost to an ISP are no higher at a commercial building then they have no justification for a higher rate except a policy that promotes their profits.

Bababooh

@107.14.223.x
What if I want senior discount at movie theatre and supermarket even tho I'm 26 years old is that ethical. Should I lie about my income on tax returns cause I want to pay less?

How is lying about ones status ethical? We all want to pay less but whatever reason that they charge commercial rates vs residential is their business and if u don't like it, tough

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
i'm guessing original poster won't be getting time warner cable then since that is a lot of money for non-profits that rely on donations (like churches).

kimdo

@verizon.net
reply to James_C
said by James_C:

If the setup and support cost to an ISP are no higher at a commercial building then they have no justification for a higher rate except a policy that promotes their profits.

commercial office buildings charge providers rent for access to telecom closets, space in basement for nodes, amplifiers and such so yeah that is a higher cost and is well justified.

James_C

Florence, KY
False, in the sense that you are generalizing some cases and not any one in particular and in fact, not most cases where a business would settle for a residential account.

James_C

Florence, KY
reply to Bababooh
Do you not understand the distinction I made, which was that it wasn't lying?

I won't even continue because you lacked the reading comprehension skills to understand what I wrote... which wasn't all that complex, lol.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4
I would say yes they have go business class as I helped a church that is in a retrofitted house get internet from charter and they made them get Business class services but at least they got the internet services tax free instead having to pay the monthly fees for USF etc.
said by James_C:

Do you not understand the distinction I made, which was that it wasn't lying?

I won't even continue because you lacked the reading comprehension skills to understand what I wrote... which wasn't all that complex, lol.