Search similar:

uniqs
ron474
join:2013-08-30
Saudi Arbia

ron474

[HELP] Cisco router 7206 not booting

Hello;

I have Cisco router 7206vxr w\NPE-G1 (NPE-G2 V03) its not booting only SYST Start led blinking amber light?! what is that mean?

Can anyone help me please?
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE

MVM

Have you tried plugging in a console cable and laptop and seeing if any output is generated?

Likely culprits without this information is a) dead hardware, b) missing IOS or c) booting into ROMMON.
In all cases, hope you have spare hardware or a SMARTNET contract on this device.

Regards
ron474
Saudi Arbia

ron474

Thank you for your HELP

Unfortunately the warranty is expired and i don`t have contract. i use console cable nothing show in Hyper Terminal (all setup is correct) also i checked PSU + Fans is ok
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to ron474

MVM

to ron474
Doesn`t show ANYTHING in the console on boot? Try power cycling again with the computer and console port plugged in,
or if it's already powered and the console cable plugged in, hit ENTER a few times.

If nothing displays, then you're SOL.

Regards

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to ron474

to ron474
If you get absolutely nothing what-so-ever I think you need to verify you cabling with another known working Cisco box to make sure that's not your problem.

Is there anything in the I/O slot on the front of the router? It's been a while since I've had my hands on a 7200 that had both a G1/G2 and an I/O 2FE in it. When you have an I/O card AND a G1 or G2 only one console/aux works. For some reason I think the I/O is the one to use when both are present.
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to ron474

MVM

to ron474
Along those lines that battleop See Profile mentioned, what cards do you have in the chassis. One thing that's got
my brain going around is your mention of an NPE-G1 (NPE-G2 V03). IIRC -- and like battleop See Profile my time in
setting up 7200VXRs is limited, but far as I know you can only have one NPE in at a time, and one TYPE of NPE
at that.

Secondly, another way to troubleshoot is to yank EVERYTHING from the chassis EXCEPT the NPE, power up and see
what happens. Power down, add another card, power up. Repeat till one card causes your problem.

Regards
ron474
Saudi Arbia

ron474 to battleop

to battleop
Thank you

What written in chassis is (Cisco 7206vxr w\NPE-G1) but installed machine is NPE-G2 (w/1GB Ram, 265MB Flash memory)

For both console & aux i tried all port setting (110 to 115200 BitsPS) parity, flow control. i used Putty & Tera Term + Com serial port monitor program.. i buy new cisco console cable... CPU reset putton

There is third port named''FE 0/2 For management use only'' it show ÿ at (baud rate 38400 & 115200) i don`t know what`s for but i use xmodem commands (-c,-y,-e..etc) and not working.

There is no I/O cards expect Compact Flash(w\o flash memory tested), only thing left is RAM i will buy new one.. that all i can do
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to ron474

MVM

to ron474
"Written on the chassis" as in a written label on the 7206 chassis itself?

Console settings should be 9600-8-n-1, with the terminal software. The config (register) COULD be doing something else,
but without even console access to the device you can't tell.

The "FE 0/2 For Management Only" IIRC DOES NOT need or take a baud rate, it is an internal layer 3 interface that you
put an IP address on and manage via telnet / SSH / SNMP.

Dumb question, where is this 7206 from? Ebay? Company scrap pile? Could be the chassis itself is good and the NPE's
borked, or vice versa... if you have a spare chassis or NPE, that'd be another option at this point.

Regards
ron474
Saudi Arbia

ron474

Yes it`s label on chassis as it on link (sorry for picture quality)

»i44.tinypic.com/346uviu.jpg

»i43.tinypic.com/m7wg8l.jpg

»i42.tinypic.com/34e2639.jpg

I connected THOMSON dsl modem with "FE 0/2 For Management Only" (straight cable) its not showing in DSL router . FE 0/2 is it enable by default?.. how i will get the IP??

The router for our company (it was). i can practise on it ..this is first time to deal with Cisco machine & by troubleshooting only now i know many things now

I changed the DDR ram same problem.. not working

hellohello5
join:2013-06-28
Detroit, MI

hellohello5

ron474,

After you're able get into Cisco IOS - which at this point you're not

You could issue a couple commands to enable your fastethernet 0/2 with the following commands:

enable
configure terminal
interface fastethernet 0/2
no shutdown

I learned these commands from the book:

CCNA Routing and Switching Portable Command Guide..

I found it on Amazon.com for $23.. And it is full of useful Cisco Commands that will allow you to install, configure, and operate your Cisco router and switches.

Also, I had a simliar issue to what you're describing with a Cisco switch I purchased from eBay. As soon as I loaded a Cisco IOS with Xmodem:

»www.cisco.com/en/US/prod ··· ac.shtml

The issue was resolved.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet to ron474

MVM

to ron474
if you give up (and are in the lower 48) -- you can ship to me (i'll pay shipping) if it get to keep it when i fix it.

;-P

q.
aryoba
MVM
join:2002-08-22

aryoba to hellohello5

MVM

to hellohello5
said by hellohello5:

ron474,

After you're able get into Cisco IOS - which at this point you're not

You could issue a couple commands to enable your fastethernet 0/2 with the following commands:

enable
configure terminal
interface fastethernet 0/2
no shutdown

If you don't see the IOS command prompt, then I wonder how you are able to enter those IOS commands
aryoba

aryoba to ron474

MVM

to ron474
As others have mentioned, you have to somehow figure out how to get some console output. HELLFIRE See Profile already suggested to power cycle the router while the console cable is in place to make sure whether you are able to see some console output from boot up starting point. battleop See Profile suggested to verify the console cable you are using including any serial-usb adapter (if used) to make sure that those match Cisco console specification.

Assuming you have done all that and still no luck, then the router is probably dead and need hardware replacement though usually amber LED does not mean dead hardware.

hellohello5
join:2013-06-28
Detroit, MI

hellohello5 to aryoba

to aryoba
aryoba,
ron474 did write, ‘FE 0/2 is it enable by default?’
Entering the Cisco IOS commands would of course be contingent on getting to the IOS prompt.
markysharkey
Premium Member
join:2012-12-20
united kingd

markysharkey

Premium Member

I think I'd plug a PC into the port, run Wireshark and see if anything is coming out of it.
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to ron474

MVM

to ron474
said by ron474:

I connected THOMSON dsl modem with "FE 0/2 For Management Only" (straight cable) its not showing in DSL

router . FE 0/2 is it enable by default?.. how i will get the IP??

if the interface is in shutdown state, or is noshut'd but no IP address, it's not going to do much but sit
there and look pretty. Question, when it was yanked from the company, anyone happen to know whether it
was still in a functional state?

Regards
ron474
Saudi Arbia

ron474

Thank you all for your help

I always use pc serial port for Dream Box DVB and cisco console cable is verified, i used com port monitor software nothing output from console & aux ports.

Inside NPE-G2 i find there two ports looks like (on-board serial jack)?! one next NVRAM ?!

tubbynet thank you for offer.. only give me any access NPE rom i`m ready to pay you

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

You are using the wrong cable. One requires a straight cable and the other a null. You need to verify you cable by connecting to another known working cisco bix.
ron474
Saudi Arbia

ron474

I buy new cisco console cable :

»cdn.ttgtmedia.com/ITKE/u ··· able.jpg

I verify the cable by avometer pinout goes like this:-

DB9 RJ45
1 null
2 3
3 6
4 7
5 4-5
6 2
7 8
8 1
9 null

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

Da Geek Kid to ron474

to ron474
said by ron474:

Hello;

I have Cisco router 7206vxr w\NPE-G1 (NPE-G2 V03) its not booting only SYST Start led blinking amber light?! what is that mean?

Can anyone help me please?

Blinking amber means it's in ROMMON mode. you may not have the right IOS file.
ron474
Saudi Arbia

ron474

Thank you Da Geek Kid

I think it`s hardware failure, because it hangup in (rommon mode) and console & aux not responding
aryoba
MVM
join:2002-08-22

aryoba to ron474

MVM

to ron474
If you are using a computer that has no DB-9 port, then most likely you need to use USB-DB9 adapter. As I mentioned previously, make sure you are using the correct adapter, install proper adapter software, and test the console connectivity to known-working gears before using it on non-working gears.

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

Da Geek Kid to ron474

to ron474
As Aryoba and others stated if you have the PuTTY set up prior to turning on the Router, you should at least see things coming on to the screen when turning the device on...