All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to BACONATOR26

to BACONATOR26

Re: [INTERNET] "Rogers" Ontario Outages Affect Start?

said by BACONATOR26:

I still hesitate in being assured about 'resilient path' when talking about Rogers knowing they have no such thing on their own core network.

Really? I realize what I was taught in school is not always practiced in the working environment (hell the campus itself didn't follow what the programs taught in regards to networking) but shouldn't any enterprise core network be resilient, high availability and redundancy?

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

said by TypeS:

said by BACONATOR26:

I still hesitate in being assured about 'resilient path' when talking about Rogers knowing they have no such thing on their own core network.

Really? I realize what I was taught in school is not always practiced in the working environment (hell the campus itself didn't follow what the programs taught in regards to networking) but shouldn't any enterprise core network be resilient, high availability and redundancy?

I think all of us involved in networking at some level know that, however, Rogers has typically gained their large profit margin by cutting corners and gambling the fate of their customers.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to TypeS

Mod

to TypeS
said by TypeS:

but shouldn't any enterprise core network be resilient, high availability and redundancy?

Gotta remember that Rogers is first and foremost a CABLE company. Cable companies have a mentality that TV is nowhere near a critical service. That mentality has spread to internet. It improved with digital phone, but not enough to build in redundancy.

Bell's core networks have a better sense of the critical nature of their services. Sadly though, last mile wireline services have lost a lot of their critical nature in recent years.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

Not that I disagree but Rogers provides several different business services over that cable and wireless network which should be considered 'critical'.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

I'm not saying that they don't provide services that should be considered critical ... but they certainly don't treat any aspect of their residential services as critical.