julienvf

join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Acanac

1 edit

VOIP and EDGE 2g roaming

This post is for the record.. Have to write it somewhere because I was kinda surprised it worked! So the title says it all: I was in Haiti with an unlocked iphone 5 64gb and a prepaid sim (50 HTG for 500mb/day which is about 1,25$ CAD) from Digicel and they have 3g in Port au Prince while in the country, it's 2G EDGE only. I had acrobis VOIP software for IOS and my freephoneline.ca VOIP line. Even in remote places like Grand Boucan (google that up hehe), I was able to make/receive phonecalls without paying huge roaming fees! Only downside was latency, a good half second but it worked. Everyone in my gf's family used my phone to make phonecalls.. Problem there wasn't the phone itself but electricity: you can recharge your phone once every 2-3 days! Just gotta be careful too when you own a phone worth one person's living for a full year...

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
This is where the battery packs can be really handy. I have a few that can recharge a smartphone multiple times, so it would definitely be enough to make it the two or three days until the power was available again.
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.2 released!