John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to lutful

Re: IT consultant pissing match?

Well, after you've spent $12K for a high-performance managed AP system, it hardly makes sense to not spend the additional 10% to have the controller tie it all together. I'm a tinkerer as much as the next guy, but in a production environment, not so much. Besides, while you're fiddling with settings and such, other things are not getting done.

At any rate...I would, in the words of Ron Popiel, just as soon set it and forget it.

On the other end of the spectrum, so to speak, how about using many micro APs (in the OPs case with 20 additional) that only service the immediate room? Who makes the smallest, lowest powered full function AP? How low can one go? Is there a USB dongle AP available? Just thinking out loud here...
--
Many believe, but few will question...I decline to be blind.

petecarlson

join:2004-11-06
Baltimore, MD

1 recommendation

I build lots of wireless networks in MDUs and use Ruckus (with Zone Directors) almost exclusively. That being said, I have found we get better performance and lower subscriber churn by wiring each unit and then installing a dedicated wireless router for each customer. We use UBNT AirRouters with a custom self-provisioning firmware which does 802.1x auth.

raytaylor

join:2009-07-28
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to John Galt
said by John Galt:

On the other end of the spectrum, so to speak, how about using many micro APs (in the OPs case with 20 additional) that only service the immediate room? Who makes the smallest, lowest powered full function AP? How low can one go? Is there a USB dongle AP available? Just thinking out loud here...

Ubiquiti's new router - its a miniature box that clips on to their poe injectors. 17dbi maximum transmit power, but of course can be turned down. $30 each.
»www.ubnt.com/airmax#airgateway