Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jrdh

join:2013-08-30
South Hamilton, MA

2 edits

Using a second Actiontec router as an access point

Existing Thread: Can I use my wireless or an extra router along with the Verizon provided router?

One of the last points in this thread is Actiontec routers do not support wireless connectivity so here is my question - i want to use an Actiontec N located in the basement office as the primary router and a Actiontec 'G' router as a secondary router in a different location to improve the wireless service on the second floor. I have a coax cable on the second floor that I can split and attach the second router along with the existing STB - does this make since? I am assuming that I would set up the second router following the instructions in the existing thread and then move it to the second floor location. Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Morris0

join:2011-05-14
kudos:1
you want to connect them via Cat 5 and use a LAN port on both. The second should have it's DHCP server disabled.

Have fun

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
OP says he has coax, not cat5.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
reply to jrdh

jrdh

join:2013-08-30
South Hamilton, MA
the primary router is already up and running. The directions say to configure the second router before attaching it to the coax. I am assuming this is done attaching the secondary router to the primary router using a lan port then assigning a permanent ip address to the second router, unplugging it then attaching it to the coax cable vis the splitter . Please confirm and thanks for your help

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
said by jrdh:

I am assuming this is done attaching the secondary router to the primary router using a lan port

No. That is not what the FAQ says.
Connect a PC to the secondary router to make the specified configuration changes to the secondary router.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.