spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

M I Furst

@rr.com

Whoa... My 9-1-1 Returned

Although I do not intend to follow the instructions in Dan's "This is not a bill" email of August 22nd, my 9-1-1 bar which disappeared on 8/22 has suddenly been restored.

Some agency must have compelled MJ to restore 9-1-1 to all customers.

UPDATE: I just received a new email (unsigned this time) that leaves me hanging as to whether I will be forced to pay for 9-1-1 service.

It reads, in full:

"Dear customer:

Last week, magicJack began sending customers bills and/or notices covering the fees that certain emergency communications districts charge for your being able to dial 911. These emergency communications districts have required magicJack to send these bills, but these are not magicJack's charges. magicJack does not profit at all for providing access to 911 services, and the funds we collect are turned over to the government authority pursuant to their requirements.

magicJack continues to provide 911 calling capability for all of its customers who provided a valid local address in the United States for 911 purposes. "

Any guesses as to what happened

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1
We'll have to keep an eye on the FCC daily digests.

cmthru

join:2005-03-19
Rockville, MD
reply to M I Furst
I just got the email as well. But my 911 is still missing.

Frodo

join:2006-05-05
reply to M I Furst
I got the email. But, when I log onto »my.magicjack.com/ under call features tab, there is a 911 selection. When I look at that, it says I'm not enrolled under my magicjack plus because a different device with the same number has the 911. Then, under the other device, the original magicjack, it shows no 911 because it has expired, being that it was replaced by the new magicjack plus.

So, since I don't have 911 on either device, I'm not expecting a bill.

pensioner
Premium
join:2005-02-20
Clarksville, TN
reply to M I Furst
now I'm even more confused. Just used Frodo example/suggestion of logging into my.magicjack.com and low and behold, I'm showing I've got my never used but registered to my address 911 enabled. Having a landline and two cell phones in the house, all of which pay the 911 charge, I've got no need for MJ 911 nor do I intend paying an annualized MJ 911 bill. Now what ?

Frodo

According to the faq "You must pay to receive 911 services. If you decide to continue to receive certain limited 911 calling priviliges as described in our TOS, you will need to click "Enable" on the 911 page in your my.magicJack account."

"1. REQUIRES prior activation on your part. You must register your current service address and update your registered address if you use your magicJack from another location."

What I would do is tell their tech support that it was activated prior to the email indicating there would be charges, and you want it deactivated.

pensioner
Premium
join:2005-02-20
Clarksville, TN
Click for full size
Frondo, the way I'm seeing my MJ status is, at least for now, I have 911. Don't need it and don't necessarily want it, and if MJ takes it away that's fine, but for right now I apparently have it.

greenman

join:2002-06-18
Athens, GA
Similarly, I'm seeing my status reinstated. I'm not sure if this is a grandfathered thing, or if it will change later. I'm curious too whether this was FCC-required or if they simply paid attention to customer feedback.

--
MJCheck - »mjcheck.low.li
Tips and Info on MagicJack plus.

Frodo

reply to M I Furst
No go here on the 911

I've never put an address on the new MJ, or even plugged it into a computer, and the old one expired. There is no dropdown on the account page to enable 911 or enter address info on the MJ plus. So, I think I'm pretty much out of the 911 business.

greenman

Athens, GA
said by Frodo:

No go here on the 911 ...
I've never put an address on the new MJ, or even plugged it into a computer, and the old one expired. There is no dropdown on the account page to enable 911 or enter address info on the MJ plus. So, I think I'm pretty much out of the 911 business.

Wow, so you don't even get a chance to add it. That's unfortunate. I wonder if this is going to be like call-forwarding: If you had it enabled, you'll be allowed to keep it. If you don't have it enabled, you'll have to wait until some unsubstantiated future date when it will again become available.
--

thataboi

join:2004-03-09
Springfield, OR
reply to M I Furst
This magic jack works good if and when it works. That's a big IF. There is a lot of shoddy issues though. Like for instance you call a friend that has their android phone setup with google voice. For some odd reason he cannot hear me at all, but I can hear him. Some connections like this are fubar either don't work at all or just one way. A lot of calls are just fine, but I do sometimes get asked why they cannot get through and get magic jacks answering service and they cannot place a message because I have messaging turned off so my answering machine on the phone works. So if magic jack works part of the time no guarantee you can even get a message. So you are forced to use their web answering service.

Another issue the dumb asses at vtech phones made a phone that syncs time with the voip server. So you have a phone that has a different time zone and cannot be changed on the phone or by magic jack. Nice feature guys . Most of the blame is on vtech for even building a phone that sync's with voip server time. After talking to vtech engineers all they do is confirm that yes it's a issue and that I have to go to magic jack with that problem. They refuse to admit that it's a design flaw. VOIP servers can be routed anywhere in any location so their idea was broken from the start. (idiots) Trying to get magic jack support on this is virtually impossible as their support is garbage.

Let's not forget the letter from magic jack stating you must pay for 911 but they don't know what the price is for sure but still want you to buy it. I am like ok i'll buy it. No reply confirmation letter or receipt that my card was actually charged. going to 911 says in yellow pending confirmation of address. this yellow pending status has gone on for two weeks and finally after this two weeks it has gone to green, but still not sure if I was charged or not charged. What about the half month credit I was not receiving 911 at all? I mean seriously this place is ran by a bunch of monkeys.

thataboi

Springfield, OR
reply to M I Furst
This magic jack works good if and when it works. That's a big IF. There is a lot of shoddy issues though. Like for instance you call a friend that has their android phone setup with google voice. For some odd reason he cannot hear me at all, but I can hear him. Some connections like this are fubar either don't work at all or just one way. A lot of calls are just fine, but I do sometimes get asked why they cannot get through and get magic jacks answering service and they cannot place a message because I have messaging turned off so my answering machine on the phone works. So if magic jack works part of the time no guarantee you can even get a message. So you are forced to use their web answering service.

Another issue the dumb asses at vtech phones made a phone that syncs time with the voip server. So you have a phone that has a different time zone and cannot be changed on the phone or by magic jack. Nice feature guys . Most of the blame is on vtech for even building a phone that sync's with voip server time. After talking to vtech engineers all they do is confirm that yes it's a issue and that I have to go to magic jack with that problem. They refuse to admit that it's a design flaw. VOIP servers can be routed anywhere be in any location so their idea was broken from the start (idiots). Also, trying to get magic jack support on this is impossible as their support is garbage.

Let's not forget the letter from Magic Jack stating you must pay for 911, but they don't know what the price is for sure, but still want you to buy it. lol I am like ok i'll buy it. No reply confirmation letter or receipt that my card was actually charged. going to 911 says in yellow pending confirmation of address. This yellow pending status has gone on for two weeks and finally after this two weeks it has gone to green, still not sure if I was charged or not charged. What about the half month credit I was not receiving 911 at all? I mean seriously this place is ran by a bunch of monkeys.

thataboi

Springfield, OR
reply to M I Furst
ehh double post.

MJStinks

@clearwire-wmx.net
I never signed up for 911. I got the bill email today. So I went in to disable it. There's no way to disable the feature. So I thought I'd see what it costs. They collect credit card # and will not tell you what it costs until you give them your #. By then, you're billed. So then I thought I'd do the chat and tell them to remove 911. The chat goes to a non-website and won't load.

Next, consider you may want to just never use magic jack or cancel. There's no way to do that. So they're going to "report" you to the local authorities even if you trash the device until your service expires. If you bought 5 extra years of service and just got MJ, you'll apparently be on the hook for 6 years of 911, under threat from MJ that they're reporting you, even if you never use the thing or it breaks.

This is screaming for a class action lawsuit.

Frodo

reply to M I Furst
Found this FCC regulation:
»www.fcc.gov/guides/voip-and-911-service

quote:
"Interconnected VoIP service allows you to make and receive calls ..."

This was always the loophole in the past. Magicjack was structured so that different companies were involved, one for making calls, and a different one for receiving calls. Maybe this needs to be enhanced with a divestiture that would entail registering the device with one company to make calls, and a separate registration to receive calls. They need to get rid of "make AND receive".

quote:
"Before an interconnected VoIP provider can activate a new customer’s service, the provider must obtain from the customer the physical location at which the service will first be used, so that emergency services personnel will be able to locate any customer dialing 911."

I didn't do any of that when I activated the Magic Jack plus. So, there isn't a designated jurisdiction for my Magicjack plus to bill 911. I plugged it into the router like they advertised, never in a computer, so there has been no software with the device presented to enter 911 information either.

Haven't gotten a 911 bill yet.

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to M I Furst
Click for full size
I got the E-Mail and ignored it.

Here is my status.

Blob
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

greenman

Athens, GA
reply to Frodo
said by Frodo:

Found this FCC regulation:
»www.fcc.gov/guides/voip-and-911-service

Thanks for this. Your argument makes sense. The FCC probably told them to clean up their act. I just got this in my email:

said by no_reply@magicjack.com :

------------ Original Message ------------
Sent: Saturday, September 21, 2013 7:47 AM
To: me
Subject: Bill for Government-Imposed Charges for 911 Services
---------------------------------------

This is a bill.

Certain emergency communications districts have required that we attempt to bill you via email the charges they impose for your being able to dial 911 services. If you wish to continue to be able to dial 911, it is important that you pay this charge. If you have access to 911 services but do not pay this government-imposed charge, the emergency communications district in your jurisdiction may seek to collect any amounts from you directly.

MagicJack does not profit at all for this service and the funds we collect are turned over to the government authority pursuant to their requirements.

Please click here to find out the specific charges in your area and you will be directed on how to pay for them.

--

wahoospa

join:2006-03-23
Charleston, SC
I got my email today. I went to the link in the email and it came up with the old magicjack that I no longer use, and no amount. I have not received a notice for my magicjack plus. Maybe the 911 fee will show up on renewal in november.

ameridian

join:2013-06-23
Paterson, NJ
Got the recent email....saw that I was enrolled against my will since the last email....saw that they wanted to charge me .90/month for 7 months but simply didn't agree to pay the charge.

Being a victim of forced enrollment, I'll wait until the Government forces me to pay this charge. Hopefully, the ability to un-enroll comes about by then. Instructed everyone here to use their cellphone to call 911 if ever the need arises.