spc
Search similar:

uniqs
dslissues
join:2006-01-28
Maryville, TN

dslissues

Asus RT-N66u Guest account

Hello, What is the surest way to set up the Guest Network with encryption?

I must be doing something wrong but I don't see my mistake.

I can make the connection without encryption. But not with any of the encryptions turned on.

I can make a connection on the regular 2.4 with the same device using encryption.

Thank you

SoonerAl
MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

1 edit

SoonerAl

MVM

Click for full size
Create Guest step 1
Click for full size
Create Guest step 2
Click for full size
Create Guest step 3
Click for full size
Create Guest step 4
said by dslissues:

Hello, What is the surest way to set up the Guest Network with encryption?

I must be doing something wrong but I don't see my mistake.

I can make the connection without encryption. But not with any of the encryptions turned on.

I can make a connection on the regular 2.4 with the same device using encryption.

Thank you

Are you clicking on the configurables in Step 2 in order to change the SSID, encryption type, key, etc?

The screen shots are from an example I created on my RT-N66R device running the 3.0.0.4.270 firmware that was installed in the device from the factory.

If you can't create a guest network you might try a factory reset to get back to square one. Note you will need to recreate ALL settings you had before...
dslissues
Maryville, TN

dslissues

Thank you for your time in the screenshots.
One clarification. I can create the "open system" Guest network and it works fine. It is just when I try to encrypt it, I get a message on the tablet ""The settings on this computer do not match the requirements of the network."

When I check the key and encryption method "I think they match." But I must be wrong.

How ever when I set the regular 2.4 radio up, it works with the same key and encryption method.

I have what I believe to be up to date firmware.

SoonerAl
MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

SoonerAl

MVM

Click for full size
said by dslissues:

Thank you for your time in the screenshots.
One clarification. I can create the "open system" Guest network and it works fine. It is just when I try to encrypt it, I get a message on the tablet ""The settings on this computer do not match the requirements of the network."

When I check the key and encryption method "I think they match." But I must be wrong.

How ever when I set the regular 2.4 radio up, it works with the same key and encryption method.

I have what I believe to be up to date firmware.

Well thinking they match and them actually matching are two different things...

What tablet are you trying to connect with?

Have you tried WPA-Personal and TKIP versus WPA2-Personal and AES?

Have you verified your encryption key/password/pass phrase is the same on the tablet as what the router is configured for? If the encryption key/password/pass phrase is the same try simplifying it as a test, ie. no special characters for example.

Meaning instead of this...

@3V7VpbJRQ#$P)TT020$r3#bgS.?

...use something like this...

kvvMg7FBxIdPmA577ZvbOFeFmD7Q
dslissues
Maryville, TN

dslissues

Back again, I am connecting an Acer Iconia W3. It has WIN 8
I havd tried WEP, WPA-Personal /TKIP and WPA2-Personal/AES
All the same results.

I had verified the methods and the keys.

Your idea of keeping the key simple started me on a new path and I got it to work.

I used just 123456789 for a key and it still did not work. Then it came to me to try a different ?? channel. You know the three different enable boxes.
So when I set the different channel up and gave it the simple 123... key it worked.

What I have found is an issue with changing an existing network. It is probably in the tablet. Between the tablet environment and WIN8, I am facing a lot of new boxes to fill out.

I can now make a Guest AP any way I want as long as it is a new SSID.

I now have to do some work with WIN8. And I can definitely say a major part of WIN8 is to separate the USER from the SYSTEM. It took me several hours to find a thread that described how to get WIN8 on a traditional workgroup. You won't find the workgroup page with your finger.

Okay-I just tried search for workgroup in WIN8 and it found the workgroup/ machine name page. I had pretty much given up on Windows search.

Thank you for your advice.