uniqs
share rss forum feed

paintref
Look, I see stars

join:2003-02-21
Houston, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

[Scam] Is this a new scam or has it been around a while?

I received a phone call from a NY number (Don't recall the number itself, as I have deleted it from caller ID and I know it was more than likely a spoofed number) and a heavily accented indian gentleman answered.

I could barely understand him, but he was mentioning something about home improvement.

I hung up on him right away (Although I really wanted to have fun with him...but was expecting a call from my instructor for an EKG Tech class I am taking).

I have heard of the fake virus scam, but not this home improvement scam. Does this operate similar to the fake virus scam? Has anyone come across this scam and can point me to any information about it?

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
Probably not new.

It is in an old familiar class of scams.

I regularly get 'phone calls for:
installing a burglar alarm system;
giving me a free medical alert device;
cutting my credit card interest rate.

There are others that I don't recall at the moment. My number is on the DO-NOT-CALL list, so I know right away that the callers are law breakers. And yes, the caller-id is often spoofed with these kinds of calls.
--
AT&T Uverse; Buffalo WHR-300HP router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.3; firefox 23.0

paintref
Look, I see stars

join:2003-02-21
Houston, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
said by nwrickert:

Probably not new.

It is in an old familiar class of scams.

I regularly get 'phone calls for:
installing a burglar alarm system;
giving me a free medical alert device;
cutting my credit card interest rate.

There are others that I don't recall at the moment. My number is on the DO-NOT-CALL list, so I know right away that the callers are law breakers. And yes, the caller-id is often spoofed with these kinds of calls.

I figured as much, but thought I'd put this out there so others do not fall for it if they have not heard of this scam