Premium Member
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

DC DSL to Snowy

Premium Member

to Snowy

Re: The Skype/Microsoft Scam

More and more large companies don't "apologize" for mistakes, especially if their CS is based in India. It's not an evil plot. Speak with your wallet, or get off your duff and pester politicians to change the rules so businesses have to return to treating customers with courtesy and respect. Simply ranting here won't do a thing.

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy

Premium Member

said by DC DSL:

...get off your duff and pester politicians to change the rules so businesses have to return to treating customers with courtesy and respect.

I truly didn't see that coming.
I'll do my best to respond off the cuff.
What the hell are you talking about?

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium Member
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

DC DSL

Premium Member

You left out "Speak with your wallet, or..."

Companies get away with crap like this because consumers simply take it. They take it a step further by working behind the scenes to eradicate consumer protections against deceptive advertising/business practices, complaint resolution, accountability by businesses. Check out ALEC and the litany of anti-consumer legislation they have already pushed through, and what they have in store. If you are convinced that this is a scam, then take it up to the people who can actually do something to put an end to it. Merely complaining about it online won't do a thing about it.

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy

Premium Member

said by DC DSL:

You left out "Speak with your wallet, or..."

Yes, I purposefully left that out since I knew what you meant by that whereas suggesting that I contact my politicians over the lack of courtesy & respect by a commercial concern still has me deeply concerned that you're serious.
I had hoped you'd come back with a missing sarcasm tag or something.

You've been consistent in your opinion but now your arguing both sides of the coin.
On one hand you say

"If that's the case, this is not a scam. Screw up, yes; scam, no.

So someone or something screwed up and the wrong/poor wording went out. Big deal. This is very common when back-office functions are outsourced, particularly when English is not the primary language where the work is done.

There is no need to rant, or go on about evil plots by greedy companies...at least not with respect to this.

It's not an evil plot."

But now you come back with:
said by DC DSL:

Companies get away with crap like this because consumers simply take it. They take it a step further by working behind the scenes to eradicate consumer protections against deceptive advertising/business practices, complaint resolution, accountability by businesses. Check out ALEC and the litany of anti-consumer legislation they have already pushed through, and what they have in store.

I don't know to reply to the totality of what you're saying.
You've gone from this being an inadvertent, unintentional error to it being "crap like this"
said by DC DSL:

If you are convinced that this is a scam, then take it up to the people who can actually do something to put an end to it.

I have, I've taken it up with the ONLY people that can effect change, Skype.
I'll pass on your suggestion to take up the matter with my politicians though.
said by DC DSL:

Merely complaining about it online won't do a thing about it.

I'll agree with you that the new "home" of my concern over Skype's practices diminishes the message, but if you are so sure of that why not change the forum title to
Raves & Praise?