Premium Member

Labor Day

Have a safe Labor Day.
Bengie25
join:2010-04-22
Wisconsin Rapids, WI

3 recommendations

Bengie25

3 day weekend! I can stay up late.. Probably in bed by 9pm.. getting old sucks.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

8 recommendations

ITALIAN926 to Lone Wolf

to Lone Wolf
All you Anti-union people out there, be sure to show up to work on Monday.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

2 recommendations

jmn1207

Premium Member

Unfortunately anti-corruption and anti-union are synonymous now, with only a few exceptions.
Bob61571
join:2008-08-08
Washington, IL

Bob61571 to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
I will be working Labor Day, thank you. Some jobs are so important, that we work 365/24/7.

firephoto
Truth and reality matters
Premium Member
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

firephoto to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

This!
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

3 recommendations

Kearnstd to Lone Wolf

Premium Member

to Lone Wolf
Just remember now in the US we honor those who work, By demanding the stores be open causing them to work.

Federal holidays did at one point meant something in America, Now it means discount prices on TVs from Korea, China and Japan.

meeeeeeeeee
join:2003-07-13
Newburgh, NY

meeeeeeeeee

said by Kearnstd:

Just remember now in the US we honor those who work, By demanding the stores be open causing them to work.

Federal holidays did at one point meant something in America, Now it means discount prices on TVs from Korea, China and Japan.

Don't complain. Those low paying, part time, no benefit jobs are about all that's left in the new Amerika.

Mactron
el Camino Real
Premium Member
join:2001-12-16
PRK

Mactron to Bob61571

Premium Member

to Bob61571
We no longer say that. Now we are the "Sequestered".

Happy Labor Day all !

capecoddah
join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah to Lone Wolf

to Lone Wolf
Work! Weekend # 22.
6 more to go (Yes, I AM counting).
Enjoy your stay.

meeeeeeeeee
Newburgh, NY

meeeeeeeeee

said by capecoddah:

Work! Weekend # 22.
6 more to go (Yes, I AM counting).
Enjoy your stay.

Enjoy your work. You and your fellow workers do it well. I enjoyed my stay a few weekends ago.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK to jmn1207

Premium Member

to jmn1207
Yes, it is all the rage now to be pro-large corporations and anti-worker. Allow cheap labor to flood in, allow bogus H1B Visas to undercut skilled labor and the like. Crack down on labor costs as much as possible, and break all unions. Can't have 1st world wages anymore... Oh, but make sure you demand the utmost 1st world prices from the same consumers and workers. We sure don't want in competition in that regard. Pay them cheap, and price products high. 'MURICA!!

meeeeeeeeee
Newburgh, NY

meeeeeeeeee

Yep... and the sheeple LINE UP to buy the crap.
Rakeesh
join:2011-10-30
Phoenix, AZ

1 recommendation

Rakeesh to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
If you like that price floors raise the unemployment rate and trigger inflation, thank a union.

If you like that all of your food has high fructose corn syrup instead of sugar, thank a union.

If you like that twinkies are no longer made in America, thank a union.

If you like that it is so risky to hire people that now the preferred thing to do is contract out work, thank a union.

If you like that millions of jobs have been priced out of the market and are now offshored because they are simply too expensive to remain competitive here, thank a union.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

2 recommendations

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

Yes, because the unions control everything. Multi-billion dollar corporations are all puppets, secretly manipulated by elite unionists with the desire to destroy the country. I think Rakeesh has been smoking the Hashish!

ITALIAN926

4 edits

3 recommendations

ITALIAN926 to Rakeesh

to Rakeesh
quote:
36 Reasons Why You Should Thank a Union

Weekends
All Breaks at Work, including your Lunch Breaks
Paid Vacation
FMLA
Sick Leave
Social Security
Minimum Wage
Civil Rights Act/Title VII (Prohibits Employer Discrimination)
8-Hour Work Day
Overtime Pay
Child Labor Laws
Occupational Safety & Health Act (OSHA)
40 Hour Work Week
Worker's Compensation (Worker's Comp)
Unemployment Insurance
Pensions
Workplace Safety Standards and Regulations
Employer Health Care Insurance
Collective Bargaining Rights for Employees
Wrongful Termination Laws
Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967
Whistleblower Protection Laws
Employee Polygraph Protect Act (Prohibits Employer from using a lie detector test on an employee)
Veteran's Employment and Training Services (VETS)
Compensation increases and Evaluations (Raises)
Sexual Harassment Laws
Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)
Holiday Pay
Employer Dental, Life, and Vision Insurance
Privacy Rights
Pregnancy and Parental Leave
Military Leave
The Right to Strike
Public Education for Children
Equal Pay Acts of 1963 & 2011 (Requires employers pay men and women equally for the same amount of work)
Laws Ending Sweatshops in the United States

Let's get one thing straight...

Employers and Corporations did not feel generous and decide to give you two days off every week to have a social/personal life. (We now call them weekends). Corporations did not just feel like being nice one day and give their employees paid vacations. CEOs didn't get together in a board room and say "Let's give our employees more rights at work" or "Maybe there should be laws to limit our power over an employee".

Virtually ALL the benefits you have at work, whether you work in the public or private sector, all of the benefits and rights you enjoy everyday are there because unions fought hard and long for them against big business who did everything they could to prevent giving you your rights. Many union leaders and members even lost their lives for things we take for granted today.

The right-wing attack on unions is nothing more than ignorance, lack of education, and propaganda.

If republicans would rather support corporations instead of organized groups of workers working to secure a fair work environment A.K.A a union, I ask them to walk the walk as well. Give up every benefit and right that you use that unions are responsible for.

Complete trust and submit yourself to the corporate agenda you fight for. Play by their rules with no influence from democrats or labor unions to try to force rights among the workers of this country. Dedicate your life to their life goal of making your company more money than the year before. Just understand that this may mean sacrificing the union fought rights you enjoy everyday. I mean, you don't want to be a hypocrite, do you? Like bashing unions on your union fought lunch break? Which means if you practice what you preach, you don't get a lunch break.

Corporations use to work employees 80+ hours a week, offer no breaks, hire children, offer horrid, unsanitary work conditions, paid literally next to nothing, and even murder. Not murder with a pen like they do today, but actual murder. They basically did whatever they wanted.

This is what they were like before unions. Don't take my word for it, look it up. (Links at bottom of page). If we rid the world of unions tomorrow, who is to say that they won't go right back to the way they were merely 70 years ago? The GOP governor of Maine signed a bill to repeal child labor laws this year, maybe they are going back to their roots whether we have unions or not.

So conservatives, please practice what you preach and give up all these rights and leave the umbrella of these laws for they were brought to you by unions...

»www.dailykos.com/story/2 ··· ur-Life#
And seriously, you need to take a labor history class to understand how much blood, sweat, and tears hit the ground to give you the benefits people take for granted today.

.... and I already know what the response is going to be: "Unions have served their purpose" The most ignorant response from people that are NOT in a Union. I feel the backwards direction we're heading in due to the reduction of membership in my own union. Benefits and wages, working conditions, labor laws, all systematically being trampled by people with power and influence. Most employers do not care about their employees in any which way. Hell, a lot of employers dont even care about the treatment of their customers. The only thing that seems to matter is stock price and golden parachutes while front line workers, and customers, get treated like crap. Customers and employees are not people, they are merely statistics on a spreadsheet.

Get your head on straight, because even the low percentage of unions workers is still keeping a living wage for most in this country.
Rakeesh
join:2011-10-30
Phoenix, AZ

3 edits

1 recommendation

Rakeesh

Actually that list is rather full of shit, several items in there have nothing to do with unions, and several items in there are basically the same thing listed multiple times. That first entry for example - weekends, and indeed 8 hour work days were originally established as employee incentives to reduce turnover by a rather well known capitalist. It proved to be rather advantageous to his business to the point that the practice spread to other companies as well.

By this time, sunday was already commonly taken as a day off. The federal government codified this less than a decade later. And oh gee, 8 hours a day 5 days, 40 hour work week, you think? Lets add it anyways to pad our list of what is already bullshit. I like how they also put lunch breaks in there as if nobody ever allowed their employees to eat lunch before unions came around, what a joke.

»www.canadafreepress.com/ ··· le/34598

Furthermore, if nobody ever worked weekends these days the economy couldn't do what it does today. I mean take the subject of this website - broadband. Imagine you have an outage on a weekend. Sorry union rules, nobody works on weekends, just wait 72 hours and we'll have you back up.

Fortunately we have plenty of people who are willing to handle it.

Minimum wage is actually a bad idea, by the way. Even the most liberal economists (take Paul Krugman for example) will tell you that in the end all it does is raise unemployment and reduce the purchasing power of the poor. What good is higher income if everything costs more? And if one of your things is to complain about income distribution, minimum wage increases are actually known to make that worse.

Some of these other items are just plain stupid - military leave? Yeah unions in the military, that would work so well. Unless you're talking about reserve leave from a civilian employer, in which case that was codified into law for the purpose of increasing enlistment.

That whole list is a joke.

Oh and I'm not a conservative.

Anyways don't let any of that get in the way of your vision of gumdrop smiles that unions make, ignoring that even during their heyday they were mostly just a tool of the mafia to shakedown businesses. In addition, the original unions were formed by white people who wanted to keep minorities out of the workplace for all but the worst jobs.
CXM_Splicer
Premium Member
NYC

2 recommendations

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

said by Rakeesh:

Actually that list is rather full of shit

That's ok, so was yours

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926 to Rakeesh

to Rakeesh
I read two paragraphs and stopped reading. So off the top of my head, I know that Unions had to originally fight for not an 8 hour day, but a TWELVE HOUR DAY ! Then, they fought for a TEN HOUR DAY, then finally eight. I'll be back later, have to go to work.

hello123454
Premium Member
join:2002-02-02

2 recommendations

hello123454 to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

Typical sheeple...generalize much?

Unions are what killed Detroit and have no real purpose today other than to stop commerce for no reason.

Did unions work in the past? Absolutely...but listing things unions accomplished in the past has nothing to do with what they do today. Labor day was established in 1887 lol so that was brilliant..

Get over it already people..unions are good for nothing now a days
CXM_Splicer
Premium Member
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

How ironic... that's exactly what he said you were going to say!!

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK to Rakeesh

Premium Member

to Rakeesh
Spoken by a true zealot who obviously doesn't know much about any of the examples he just quoted.
KrK

KrK to hello123454

Premium Member

to hello123454
Unions killed Detroit?
Not bad design, crap quality, gas guzzling cars? Wow I learned something today. Evil Unions.