[Outages] tek you made cbc ottawa with your outages

check the live blog

»www.cbc.ca/ottawa/

it can only get better i suppose
kanatamike
join:2013-07-19
Kanata, ON

kanatamike

How about a direct link to the story? That link you provided just goes to the CBC Ottawa page and the story isn't there.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

it made it to a tweet blog with a promise of a story tomorrow.

Of course someone says "I thought they were just Rogers resellers"
kanatamike
Kanata, ON

kanatamike

Yeah, just found it on Andrew Foote's twitter. Well Marc, here's your chance to bash the crap out of Rogers in the media. And explain how independent ISPs actually work.
mikee
join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON

mikee to youneedhelp

to youneedhelp
Hopefully something can be done about this mess now..... doubt it though. :|

rogersmogers
@start.ca

rogersmogers to kanatamike

Anon

to kanatamike
said by kanatamike:

Yeah, just found it on Andrew Foote's twitter. Well Marc, here's your chance to bash the crap out of Rogers in the media. And explain how independent ISPs actually work.

He can't. Marc has a business relationship/contract or whatever you want to call it with Rogers. He can't even say there name publicly I bet.

Hence why they call it Rcable

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by rogersmogers :

said by kanatamike:

He can't. Marc has a business relationship/contract or whatever you want to call it with Rogers. He can't even say there name publicly I bet.

Hence why they call it Rcable

I believe that when it's something to do with the actual service such as upgrade, downtime (planed & unplanned) and outages they're allowed to publically say Rogers.

rodjames
Premium Member
join:2010-06-19

rodjames to youneedhelp

Premium Member

to youneedhelp
They've been calling it "The Red Network" as of late.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by rodjames:

I have only ever seen Start use that name.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

said by 34764170:

said by rodjames:

I have only ever seen Start use that name.

Here on TekSavvy we tend to use a small letter before "Cable" to represent each incumbent... cCable, rCable, vCable, etc... Just occassionally they'll say Red, or Blue or whatever, in general practice we've been using rCable for Rogers area's.

Even myself a customer has been adopting that though I'd much rather call them Robbers, but for the time being I'm content to follow the TPIA industry practices. And as a customer I really don't have to.
ftp1020
join:2007-01-30
Canada

ftp1020 to rodjames

to rodjames
said by rodjames:

Probably a reference to Game of Thrones' "Red Wedding". In this version, Rogers gets to be the Freys, and those in their territory get to be the Starks.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to kanatamike

to kanatamike
said by kanatamike:

Even if TSI could, it would just be in bad taste to do so. Remember, Rogers is the one feeding them access to potential millions of homes to server internet access too. Bad mouthing said company would be suicide.
f7
join:2013-07-29

f7 to youneedhelp

to youneedhelp
Heard it this morning...Marc's reply was lame....still have not address the issue..
kanatamike
Kanata, ON

kanatamike

Is this available online to listen to? Haven't been able to find it.
redrain85
join:2002-06-27
Canada

redrain85

There's a story about this now on the CBC site, but no audio version as far as I can tell.

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/o ··· ion.html

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

1 recommendation

sbrook

Mod

Certainly not a "lame" reply, but Marc's not in a position where he can say the incumbent is screwing them! But if you read the balance of the story where Prashad says he got service from Rogers on the same cable within 2 days, and TekSavvy says their equipment is functional, is very telling that big Red is definitely messing TekSavvy's customers around!
redrain85
join:2002-06-27
Canada

redrain85 to youneedhelp

to youneedhelp
Unless the CBC follows up on this further, I don't see what difference this particular story will make. It's just a minor news item, a footnote on the CBC Ottawa site. It needs more exposure.

If Marketplace went after Rogers for comment, on the other hand . . .

Hmm
@videotron.ca

Hmm to sbrook

Anon

to sbrook
said by sbrook:

Certainly not a "lame" reply, but Marc's not in a position where he can say the incumbent is screwing them! But if you read the balance of the story where Prashad says he got service from Rogers on the same cable within 2 days, and TekSavvy says their equipment is functional, is very telling that big Red is definitely messing TekSavvy's customers around!

The CBC article makes it sound as if this is not an issue on Rogers side at all.

I'll give it a second read later on, but in all honesty it appears to be a TSI problem with what the CBC states. Not Rogers.
highwire
join:2013-08-27
Nepean, ON

highwire to redrain85

to redrain85
said by redrain85:

There's a story about this now on the CBC site, but no audio version as far as I can tell.

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/o ··· ion.html

I think the story is pretty superficial. I find it amusing that Rogers is called "the provider" - I guess TSI and CBC can't call out Rogers for fear of being sued for libel, but anyone who is mired in this quagmire (like I am) knows that "the provider" is Rogers.

We should submit the story to "The Consumerist", where they can file it as another "Taking It Seriously" story - were companies "take stuff seriously" but don't or can't actually fix anything.

eb
@teksavvy.com

eb to kanatamike

Anon

to kanatamike
Direct Link: »www.cbc.ca/news/canada/o ··· ?cmp=rss

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium Member
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

Tx to youneedhelp

Premium Member

to youneedhelp
They essentially are saying it's the "provider" and if anyone reading this article was dumb enough not to understand this sentence in the article
quote:
"TekSavvy said it's doing everything it can to fix the problem, but that the problem isn't on its end"
Shouldn't be on the internet. They may not be naming Rogers etc, but read between the lines.

edit: Username for Darren Prashad on DSLR is.............. i'm sure he's on here somewhere!

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero to highwire

Premium Member

to highwire
Don't forget who owns what Media conglomerates here in Canada too. Regulatory capture + Vertical integration = less choice.

Which is why you may or may not see stories like the CBC one in the other news outlets.

*Personally I don't mind the CBC so much as I find Kevin O'Leary a despicable snake they'd do better to get rid of. But thats just my opinion. He is after all just another vitriolic businessman.

darrenp
@rogers.com

darrenp to Tx

Anon

to Tx
Wow I never thought one single tweet would turn into a news story and forum discussion lol.

Tx
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Tx

Premium Member

said by darrenp :

Wow I never thought one single tweet would turn into a news story and forum discussion lol.

lol like the guy who tweeted for wed delivered to his work LOL.... power of the internet sometimes. What did you tweet? i may have missed it in the article as i skimmed it since i'm working atm
bbiab
join:2004-05-26

bbiab to youneedhelp

to youneedhelp
Reading the story, the good part is at least everybody on this site knows who to blame.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero to darrenp

Premium Member

to darrenp
said by darrenp :

Twitter can be a useful tool to get words and pictures out, Streisand Effect does happen. But again its just another tool for your box.

Not everyone is into the twitter thingy. I personally like it myself after being a holdout for the first six years. Been using Tweetdeck & Tweetz sidebar for about a year now. I rather enjoy it from time to time. Its a fun way to vent occassionally, keep up with news, hardware releases, broadband issues, CRTC issues, software releases and development projects, & trends, and follow discussions like during a particular favorite tv show or movie release among other things.

Tx
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Tx to youneedhelp

Premium Member

to youneedhelp
Well i see resa1983 comment on CBC. Good to see someone at least explained it in the comments
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by Tx:

Well i see resa1983 comment on CBC. Good to see someone at least explained it in the comments

:)

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

1 edit

dillyhammer to sbrook

Premium Member

to sbrook
said by sbrook:

But if you read the balance of the story where Prashad says he got service from Rogers on the same cable within 2 days, and TekSavvy says their equipment is functional, is very telling that big Red is definitely messing TekSavvy's customers around!

You're assuming that Teksavvy's assertion of being "100% functional on our side" is 100%... accurate. What if it was only, say, 98% accurate.

Just saying.

Mike

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Well, let's put it this way dillyhammer ... the experience that I've had with Rogers as a Rogers customer makes me not trust Rogers one iota. Therefore TSI's claim even at 98% accurate would still give me more faith that they (TSI) are less likely to carry the burden of fault.