how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

AESCA

join:2009-03-07
Lafayette Hill, PA

How to get the cheapest HD without contract

Hello, I'm hoping some folks here know their way around Verizon Fios costs to enable me to save $.

I don't watch enough TV to warrant all the channels I currently get. I just want to have the lowest price Fios TV bill that lets me watch the Eagles and the Phillies in HD and I want to do it without a contract.

Currently I have an old Triple Play bundle at $129.99 (I know I could get it for less with a new contract but I don't want a new contract.)
TP includes: digital voice for $30., Extreme HD for $64.99, Internet 25.25 for $35.

I could get rid of one set top box I never use and would save $7.99

I think I am stuck with having the HD DVR rental at $16.99 or I wouldn't be able to record games for later.

If it weren't for the sports teams I would probably just rely on movie downloads and watching TV programs online from Hulu Plus, Amazon, etc...

Since I wouldn't be able to dump the Fios TV without losing sports, is there any way to pay less for Fios TV than I do already?

Thanks!

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
You can downgrade to Prime Triple Play that will save you $20/mo and does not require a contract. Of course it has fewer sports channels and you can compare plans and price at your myverizon online.

AESCA

Lafayette Hill, PA
said by bohratom:

You can downgrade to Prime Triple Play that will save you $20/mo and does not require a contract. Of course it has fewer sports channels and you can compare plans and price at your myverizon online.

Thanks for the info!

AESCA

Lafayette Hill, PA
reply to bohratom
said by bohratom:

I noticed that the Fios Internet with that plan is 15/5. I currently have 25/25. Is 15/5 going to make watching movies/shows from Amazon or Hulu Plus via my Xbox not as good?

billhere

join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA
If your Xbox is wired directly to your router, 15/5 may be good enough for watching movies. A wireless connection, though, will probably give you less than that speed to your Xbox.

AESCA

Lafayette Hill, PA
My Xbox is linked directly to my router.
On another subject, I've been thinking about a way to get rid of TV altogether and my Xbox would be my way to do that with something like Playon (I think).
Though I would probably try to find a way to get Verizon to give up and give me the local stations only - I heard that can be done - and for less than their usual HD packages.

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to AESCA
15/5 is perfectly fine for watching movies via Amazon prime - this is what I had for 2 years and never had a problem with Amazon HD. I now nave 105/35 and Amazon streaming never uses more that 18 MBit/sec down as shown by my streaming device. More detailed look in the router shows this is a burst speed every 10-15 seconds or so with 0 speed in between.

AESCA

Lafayette Hill, PA
said by JoeSchmoe007:

15/5 is perfectly fine for watching movies via Amazon prime - this is what I had for 2 years and never had a problem with Amazon HD. I now nave 105/35 and Amazon streaming never uses more that 18 MBit/sec down as shown by my streaming device. More detailed look in the router shows this is a burst speed every 10-15 seconds or so with 0 speed in between.

Thanks for the info!

billdacat26

@lmco.com
Lafayette Hill, PA. is right under all the major broadcast towers.... A pair of cheep rabit ears is most likely all you need for HD. ( I think there are something like 40 stations in the Philly area). You can put together an HTPC and do away with your DVR rental.
We call thei OTA (over the air) and it's free!

billhere

join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·GoDaddy Hosting
reply to AESCA
My daughter cut the cord with her cable company over a year ago and installed an outdoor antenna. She can choose among over 100 OTA stations and also subscribes to Hulu and Netflix for shows and movies that aren't available OTA. She's not a sports fan.

I had a set top box on my living room HD for about a year, but I finally got rid of it and switched to OTA for that set, saving about $16 per month.

AESCA

Lafayette Hill, PA
said by billhere:

My daughter cut the cord with her cable company over a year ago and installed an outdoor antenna. She can choose among over 100 OTA stations and also subscribes to Hulu and Netflix for shows and movies that aren't available OTA. She's not a sports fan.

I had a set top box on my living room HD for about a year, but I finally got rid of it and switched to OTA for that set, saving about $16 per month.

Good to know. Thanks!

AESCA

Lafayette Hill, PA
reply to billdacat26
said by billdacat26 :

Lafayette Hill, PA. is right under all the major broadcast towers.... A pair of cheep rabit ears is most likely all you need for HD. ( I think there are something like 40 stations in the Philly area). You can put together an HTPC and do away with your DVR rental.

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

AESCA

Lafayette Hill, PA
reply to billdacat26
said by Anon80:

Is there a way to drop Fios TV but keep internet and phone? I once read in another post that Verizon will say that if you stop getting all three the cost for internet and phone will increase enough to make it almost as expensive as getting all three.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
Yes, you can drop FIOS-TV and keep just internet and phone. Savings will depend on which package you have, but it will still be cheaper than the triple play.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

SoCalDude

join:2008-07-30
Ventura Co.
reply to AESCA
said by AESCA:

said by bohratom:

I noticed that the Fios Internet with that plan is 15/5. I currently have 25/25. Is 15/5 going to make watching movies/shows from Amazon or Hulu Plus via my Xbox not as good?

15/5 is provisioned for 25/5 as long as you have TV with it. I currently have a double play with prime + 15/5 and get the extra 10mbps of fluff.

AESCA

Lafayette Hill, PA
Thanks for the info!