uniqs
share rss forum feed

isaf00

join:2008-09-07
Chapel Hill, NC

Occsional high latency

Click for full size
Click for full size
Over the past few months I've been getting horrible latency at random times of the day that lasts for a few hours. It goes away after a few hours but seems to happen every other day. Each time it happens I've noticed this drop in bits around 6 MHz. The modem had been replaced back in March I believe because the previous one was refused to sync anymore.

vengance01

join:2009-03-06
Encino, CA

I also notice your not syncing @ your max for upload. Might be cause for concern.

isaf00

Chapel Hill, NC
reply to isaf00

The upload used to sync at around 5mbps. I took a look at DSL Diagnostic page and noticed that the impulse noise protection seems rather high.

vengance01

join:2009-03-06
Encino, CA

I also see your using coax. I would have them come out and run a new cat 5 from your nid. I am betting it will clean up your issues.

isaf00

Chapel Hill, NC
reply to isaf00

Well I've had U-Verse since 09 and other than my 3800 (since the install) dying last February and the replacement 3801 being defective I haven't had any other problems. The install was done by a guy who now teaches new techs. It was all professionally done with new coax run out to each STB and the RG. Even the techs who brought the replacement RGs both commented on the quality of it and were able to guess who installed it.

I guess my point is that I'm just wondering why this new cabling would go bad after almost 4 years with zero problems.

Paralel

join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US
kudos:4
reply to isaf00

AT&T uses lower quality coax. It's some weird tri-shield stuff (not normal RG-6 with two shields, but also not RG-6 Quad [Four shields] which are both industry standards), and it's copper clad steel, not solid copper center conductor. Also, unless they switched out your wall plates, etc.. I can guarantee those are not up to spec. either.

So, overall, even if it's new coax, it's still a subpar situation. You'd be far better off with a Cat 5e UTP drop.

isaf00

Chapel Hill, NC
reply to isaf00

Well that's rather disappointing but I cant say I'm surprised. The only good news is that there are no wall plates used (long story). I'll probably replace it next time it acts up.

brookeKrige

join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA
kudos:3

Does existing coax home run complicate option of doing a test at the NID (with short run of cat5)? Have to disconnect existing coax at the NID 1st, then reconnect it afterward the test?