Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to Alf

Re: DSL to cable conversion

said by Alf:

I will not use Gmail and email alike for privacy reason. People are giving way to many rights without understanding what they are truly doing.

Unless it's hosted in Canada, I wont use it.

Hosted in Canada or not, makes no difference. Stuff on the internet is routinely passed through the U.S. backbones in and out of the country. Even from destinations inside Canada often gets routed down to the states on its way back to its other Canadian destination. There is NO way around it. Its just how peering works.
--

!- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -!
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = @TwiztedZero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

BTC Kevin

join:2011-10-01
Nepean, ON
kudos:1
said by TwiztedZero:

said by Alf:

I will not use Gmail and email alike for privacy reason. People are giving way to many rights without understanding what they are truly doing.

Unless it's hosted in Canada, I wont use it.

Hosted in Canada or not, makes no difference. Stuff on the internet is routinely passed through the U.S. backbones in and out of the country. Even from destinations inside Canada often gets routed down to the states on its way back to its other Canadian destination. There is NO way around it. Its just how peering works.

TwistedZero is right. In fact all Canadian traffic normally routes down to USA just to pass from East to Western Canada. the internet works based on best route method. Unless we set up Exchanges in every capital city region. and cross link them. This will be the case. Only time traffic remains entirely in Canada is when source to destination is all on the same network or exchange.
Sad but true. So Canadian main server vs USA doesn't matter. USA can just as easily snoop the traffic in route. And on top of that, Canadian Gov't has Intelligence sharing relationship, so this is all mote issue.

Regarding E-mail, it should have been recoverable manually by an administrator. but sounds like the CSR just used the client tools to make a new account with same name. Which created a new mail box record. Lesson learned locally back up all e-mail.