spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

happygirl1

join:2013-08-31
North Garden, VA

[WildBlue] DishNet GB Usage Drain - Please help!

I'm not sure where to post this as there is no "DishNet" section, but I just started 4 (!) Dishnet DSL accounts and some use WildBlue and some Exede. We have not had these accounts even 1 month and 2 of the accounts are completely drained of GB allotted for the month, when no one is even in the house or building to use the web.

This is a large farm estate, with the owners rarely there. I am in an office and use the web 24/7. This office account has normal usage and the rate seems fine (it says I have about 4 GB of 10GB remaining for the month (after a whole month's usage).

However, I just set up the last account on Aug 19 out in the farm manager's home and within 3 days, Dishnet claimed all 10GB for the month were gone (!) These are people who rarely use the internet and only to look at Youtube or send email (these are older people in their 50s who are generally working about 12 hours on the farm so they're not in there all day and night on the internet or gaming or anything). I do not know how it is possible for this to drain like this.

I just paid another $100 to have them come yesterday and move the entire Dish and modem to a different building (the farm manager's stable) and paid for an extra 1GB for the month to just be able to set it up and give the farm manager more GB to have some usage. At this location only the farm manager (not his wife) can use the account to check email or look Google something, look at Craigslist, etc.

As soon as the Dishnet technician left I checked the website for the usage and it claimed we now only had .7GB remaining. How is it possible to use 300MB doing nothing but setting up the modem and testing the speed?

Now I've checked our other 3 accounts and one of them (in the main house) says we only have 2GB remaining. This is an EMPTY house. No one is living in it at the moment. The only usage has been me setting up the routers and testing them and walking away.

It is possible the modems are doing this????? If this is the kind of usage we'd get, these accounts are useless for us. When the home estate owners do come to stay, they will want to use their iPads, etc and actually use the internet!

How on earth is this possible?????

I just put new Apple Extreme and Apple Express routers throughout as we have historically had horrific Wifi and minuscule DSL speed through Centurylink (landline phone company). We are in a remote part of Virginia where we have no other choices and are desperate. We get no Verizon signal there either, so we can't use our phones for this.

Can someone tell me how to check the modems or what we can do? We are on a 700 acre farm quite far from other neighbors so I can't imagine that someone can hijack the signal unless they're so tech savvy they have some giant equipment and have our password to do so. Is this possible from such a distance? We can't even get a signal if we walk out of range of the routers - how could someone be getting it from acres and acres away?

Any help or insight is really appreciated. Thanks!

DrStrangLov

join:2012-03-28

Apple Extreme...can it do SNMP?

I know nothing of MAC/Apple stuff...

»www.netuseapp.com/faq-netuse-traffic-monitor

Q: I have upgraded my Airport Configuration Utility to version 6.0 and I don’t see SNMP configuration options anywhere. How do I enable SNMP on my Airport Extreme or Time Capsule?

A: Apple removed advanced configuration parameters from Airtport Configuration Utility 6.0. Please download a version 5.6 of the utility from Apple’s support page to get a full access to all configuration parameters of your router. SNMP configuration is located under Advanced settings.

Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ
reply to happygirl1

Do I have this right, only thing new is the manager's computer to the network and new routers?

What OS does the manager use?
And how long has it been since his computer has been on any high speed connection?

happygirl1

North Garden, VA

The newest DSL I installed was yesterday (Fri 8/30). I had them move the dish & router they had previously installed 10 days before (!) which they claimed had used the entire 10GB of monthly usage within 3 days (we discovered this because it just stopped working and we assumed something had hit the dish and knocked it off the satellite signal).

As the tech moved it, while the tech was there I added another 1GB for $10 to get this up and running in the new location and so the Dish tech (and I) could test the speed. That is ALL we did (using iPhone app "speediest.net"). According to their online usage which I checked after the tech left, we now only had .7GB remaining. I cannot believe that simply going to Google or running a Speedtest.net test would eat up 300+MB. Is this really how much data gets used doing something that simple?

The only thing that would ever be used in this location is a phone for WiFi. Originally I was trying to give the manager and his wife faster speed in their house - the landline Centurylink is 1.5MG while we are getting 20BM of speed on the Dishnet. There she was using a laptop and he his iPhone.

Where it is now, there is NO laptop connected. Other than the account in my office (on its own dish & modem & router), none of these other 3 accounts have computers connected. This is all purely being done at great expense so the owners of the house and their guests would have access to WiFi on their phones and iPads when they visit (which is only 2-3months a year).

NO ONE has been in the house, which Dishnet claims has only 2GB remaining. I am the only one in there walking through periodically to check on the house and have only used my iPhone to check the connection when setting up the routers and speed testing. I cannot fathom how 8GB can have been used if no one is streaming Netflix or downloading anything. Surely this cannot be normal.

If this drains this much GB no one could ever really use it, as it would apparently get used up just looking at a YouTube video (!)

What I am completely not understanding is how the one in my office (on its own account) is literally on 24/7. I never turn off the computer and it is always "online." I work online all day 5-7 days a week and according to Dish after the entire month's usage period I still have 4GB remaining. I run Quickbook downloads with the bank 3-4 times a day, have tons of email, look up things on news sites, periodically click a video to see what it is. All without problem and still with 4GB remaining.

Similarly, the new one we had installed in the pool house, has a full 10GB remaining and has the same exact set up as the one in the house (in fact I tested this one more streaming HD video from YouTube to see if it would reach the pool!) How can this still have its 10GB remaining for the month while the house has only 4GB, when no one is in there doing anything?

How is it possible that these other modems & dishes seem to have little to none remaining when no one is using them or the usage is minimal????

I have no idea of rates of usage regarding watching something like YouTube.

I am really concerned that either there is something wrong with the modem or the routers are somehow doing something that is creating usage or someone is hacking (they'd really have to have a powerful something to reach across roughly 1/8th of a mile of property) or something is really wrong!

The routers have all been switched to:

Pool House - Apple Airport Express (no computer, only iPhone) - full 10GB remaining in a month

Farm Manager - Apple Airport Express (no computer, only iPhone) - GB draining like nobody's business

Main House - Apple Extreme, plus 2 Apple Express to pick up the signal in certain rooms (no computer, only iPhone) - only 2GB remaining with no one in the house

Office - Apple Time Capsule (really an Extreme with back up hard Drive) (Apple laptop, Dell PC, iPhone) - 4GB remaining and used 24/7

Any ideas?

Thanks so much for your help!!!!

Liberty

Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

If I were in your shoes I would take the modem with 0 use and put it at managers house for a few hours - with his phone NOT connected to the network - no devices at all but leave your router network as it is

I am looking at the super long shot possibility the Exede radio is the problem

Need to give it a few hours after you return modem back to where it belongs (still with no one using it) to allow usage meter to refresh, it can take a few hours
Check to see if any traffic was recorded during the time no one could use it at problem location

I speculate there was no traffic but if there was - you/we have evidence a rogue radio can generate ghost traffic (and a lot of it)

My knee jerk guess is there is cloud traffic occurring with bosses' phone, like maybe his photo library and or music library going both ways

Also, on the bosses' phone, take a peek at:
Settings/iTunes&App store/Auto downloads
turn them off if on

Looking forward to what you find out
btw I am a OSX & iOS user

Liberty

Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 edit
reply to happygirl1

You have a situation, long periods of time with no users and multiple accounts, that is ripe for troubleshooting
(unfortunate you need to do so)

If you are patient enough we can pin this problem down, I promise

My philosophy is problems are an unplanned (and often unwelcome) opportunity to learn something

If you stick it out through this process, together we can get you back on track and I will have increased my knowledge base to be a better tech
I am a Dealer in Tucson Az - you are giving me the chance to track down phantom usage I read so much about but NONE of my subs have experienced, and I have a lot of them
I encourage all my subs to call me first if they have a problem - I even put a sticker on modem with my contact info - I want to hear about all problems so I am a part of the solution - I want to prevent as many as I can to avoid the 'fixing' part...

Liberty

Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to happygirl1

I lied about 'none of my subs have phantom usage' - I forgot about one instance

3 days after installation their usage hit the limit

Upon investigation we discovered his wives windows computer had a herd of viruses grazing in her computer
He took it to the local computer guru in the area who reported back to me that her computer had more viruses & assorted gremlins than any one other computer he had ever worked on before

We can eliminate computer gremlins in your case but iCloud can be a player in this
We just have to try one thing at a time till we find it

happygirl1

North Garden, VA

2 edits
reply to happygirl1

So sorry for the late response, we had a large storm and power outage here last night.

"My philosophy is problems are an unplanned (and often unwelcome) opportunity to learn something"

I totally agree with this! And I'm very grateful to have a tech who understands this and knows Macs and is willing to help.

I didn't even think about swapping the modem that still has 10GB with the one that was drained! I didn't know I could just swap these around. Are they not connected to the "account" and/or satellite dish? Or can I just move them and its the modem itself that is linked to an "account?" I could do that right away to give the Farm Manager 10GB now as no one is in the pool house at all.

I will check his iPhone, but truly this is not a person who spends a lot of time taking photos and horsing around (no pun in intended) - he's working at 5am through 5pm (or later) on haying fields, fencing, managing cattle, repairing equipment and is building his own home a few miles a away on his off time. He and his wife are not tech aware at all, but he does love his new iPhone and texting, and does like to look at YouTube for videos where someone is showing how to solve a problem, etc. (and probably looking at formula motorcycle and car racing - LOL!)

Plus I set up his iPhone exactly the same as mine and mine doesn't seem to be sucking GB from the office DIsh modem.

Here's the first thing that I suspect right away:

Your statement about the 1 instance of phantom usage - where the wife had a herd of viruses! ding ding ding

Before I got him an iPhone, the farm manager and his wife were PC people and his wife literally has about 5 PCs in various forms of "not working" Despite the fact that he was going to buy her a new Mac, she just couldn't wait and once again wooed by the presumption that "it's cheaper" she went to Best Buy and got yet another PC laptop. The reason I'm telling you this, is that I had spend the last month and a half on his PC laptop trying to get his Turbotax files because his laptop had shut down and HD unrecognizable since April 23 when apparently his wife, frustrated with her own computers that wouldn't work, went onto his. She uses a lot of Facebook and I suspect she downloaded something and that these computers all have some heinous virus. I finally had to completely wipe his laptop and reinstall a fresh version of windows.

This is the house that had the last Dish Internet installed on 8/19 and by 8/22 they had used all their 10GB, while claiming they hadn't really been on it at all. I know she is on Facebook, but in fairness to her, her father is dying and she has rarely been at home, but is in the morning communicating with family members and friends on Facebook.

The Dishnet guy tried to tell me that just being on Facebook could drain the 10GB by "refreshing" which sounds insane to me (I can't stand FB so I have no idea what goes on there to know).... It makes far more sense to me that she has reinfected her new laptop with whatever was wrong with all the others and this is the cause.

As mentioned above, I had Dish come on Friday and remove this satellite and modem from their home (so she no longer has access) and put it in his Farm office out by the stables so only he could use this with his iPhone. He no longer cares to use his laptop and will likely only use it for Taxes in the future - there's nothing on it but that and he likes the iPhone for everything else.

The only thing that alarmed me was that "buying" another 1GB of use was depleted by .3GB just from the installation process (!) Is this possible?

I have no idea what is a reasonable gauge of GB usage for normal email and web surfing. I can only compare it to the others on the property, which had the same setup, same testing (actually more!) and all have different amounts remaining according to Dushnet's online usage meters.

The poolhouse still has a full 10GB (even though I tested it a zillion times and ran HD videos from YouTube a few times to test how far the signal would go.

HANG ON!!!!

I just logged into look at the Dishnet account now (Sunday) to give you exact stats and it now says that the house account has only 1.899999GB remaining and the billing period is 8/28-9/30 - IT JUST STARTED! The house is empty with no computer.

No one has been there all weekend. How can the modem have suddenly drained 90% of the new month's 10GB by magic?

This is completely insane, but I cannot have 4 expensive satellites that are magically taking the monthly allotment when there's no one there to use it. In Oct I will have an estate FULL of people and guests who expect to have WiFi and if this gets drained constantly it would cost thousands to keep adding 1GB at $10/GB.

What the heck is happening???? I'm running over there run now to shut these down until I hear back from you.

Thanks

happygirl1

North Garden, VA

1 edit
reply to happygirl1

Well you're not gonna believe this, but I went over there and in the 15 minutes it took for me to drive over there, the house account online now said it only had 1.5GB left - how could that change in 15 minutes in an empty house???? it went from 1.89999 to 1.5 with no one there and in 15 minutes.

I called Dish and finally got a nice tech to help me at least straighten out the confusion they caused with our account numbers, so I was able to match the modem to the account. Most frightening is the account that now says it drained 8.5GB since 8/28 (!) is in the main house in the library where there is NO ONE living. There are no computers in the home. The only thing ever done on that account was me setting up the Apple Extreme and speed testing the signal, and 2 Apple Express' in the bedrooms - that was weeks ago using an iPhone. When I left Friday (when first posting here) that account said we had 4-6GB (can't recall) - which is still crazy since no one has been in the house since installation.

Something is obviously wrong. I changed all the network passwords and shut them off at the surge protector in the house and the pool (which hasn't had a drain problem). I changed the password in my office account, and turned it off when I left. I will shut it off every night when I leave from now on.

But this is crazy. I use that office account 24/7 and never had it off and it correctly has me still having about 3-4GB and the monthly billing renews in 2 days, so that's 6-7GB of usage in a month for constant use!

How can these others be draining when no one is even in the house? LOL!

Is it possible the Extreme & Express and doing something to talk or refresh themselves or pinging the network that could cause this?

Thanks!!!!

Hope you are having a good labor day weekend.

james1979
Premium
join:2012-10-09
Quinault, WA
reply to happygirl1

said by happygirl1:

I just started 4 (!) Dishnet DSL accounts and some use WildBlue and some Exede.

I assume that you didn't mean DSL, right?

How is it possible to use 300MB doing nothing but setting up the modem and testing the speed?

Good question. When my Exede-12 system was installed in Sept. 2012, a little over 300 MB had been deducted from my (then) 7.5 GB cap. No speed tests were performed; just installing the system "cost" me a little over 300 MB. Exede has changed their meter and supposedly only measure data through the LAN port on the modem. Your story is therefore interesting, particularly since it matches my 300 MB figure.

And for the rest of your post, I'm having some trouble understanding your situation and your question. If you are using OS X 10.7 or higher, iCloud is known to cause problems with satellite Internet by keeping all of your devices in sync. (That's a nice idea, but not for satellite.) I'm still running iCloudless 10.6.8, so I can't give you specific advice on how to disable or configure iCloud, but it's easy enough to search for. (And iCloud has been mentioned on this forum before too.)

happygirl1

North Garden, VA

Hi James - I don't know whether DSL is the wrong term - that's just a catch phrase to me for what is theoretically "high speed" internet rather that dial up. Where we live there are only these choices: dial up, or the whatever passes for meager "high speed", which most of us call DSL. I don't know the difference from DSL or broadband or high speed or whatever (LOL)... all I know is that Dish was offering the ability to get 10MG of speed in the area where no one can get more that 756k-1MB via the phone lines. Tell me the right phrase and I'll use it to avoid confusion. Thanks!

The only question I have about the iCloud issue is that no one has any Apple devices all syncing with each other. The farm manager has an iPhone, but no other apple devices (other than the express wifi router). I can turn off his iCloud settings since he's not syncing with any other device.

Bear in mind that where all this is taking place is out in a farm building where he is busy doing farm work - he's rarely got time to sit and horse around on an iPhone. But he is using the phone for texting, calls and once in a while looking things up on the web or YouTube (I know this can use bandwidth but surely we must be able to use the internet some!) I suspect his wife and daughter in law were sucking the initial GB with their Facebook nonsense, which is why I moved the system to his farm office back by the stables. We'll see how this goes from there.

Ironically *I* am the only person with an iPhone that I sync with my own Apple computers at home and do use iCloud for this, but the Dish modem I'm using (the one that's been used on a computer 24/7 in the office) has a full 3GB on the account left for the month and the billing cycle ends tomorrow (9/4) - meaning I'm online all day, using the web, sending email, syncing Quickbooks with the bank, reading news sites online, like Yahoo, LATimes, WashPort, NYTimes, etc. and this seems to be using our GB quite accurately - 7GB used for the entire month's cycle with full use happening on the modem.

However in the room that just drained down to 1.5GB in 2 days since the billing cycle start date of 8/28 (!!!) the Library, there is no one in that building and no computers, no iPhones no nothing. Just the Dish modem and the Apple Extreme router and 2 Expresses to pick up the signal in other parts of the house. The family doesn't come into residence until mid Oct. The house is and has been empty for months.

Hope this helps. I know our situation is confusing because we have so many devices and systems

Thanks!

Hltrancher

join:2012-11-05

1 edit
reply to happygirl1

Thought I'd do a long post too.

Sounds like your service is all from Viasat Exede, (Viasat company, Exede product), rebranded/sold as Dishnet. The box that sits in the buildings is the satellite modem. DSL is only DSL service from the phone company through the phone line. You don't have Wildblue, I'm guessing a dish or so may be labeled with Wildblue, they changed the name to Exede when they launched, some dishes were printed up with Wildblue, but they are the same. Term to use when talking about the service, I guess Dishnet, (rebranded Exede satellite Internet to clarify to someone that doesn't know).

As probably mentioned before, unhook everything on the ones that are draining and not being used, but leave the Dishnet modem on, just nothing connected to them in any way, and see if the usage continues. Then add one wireless device at a time and check. May not hurt to post this question on the Apple forum as well, excessive usage with satellite. I think I saw something posted before.

High quality video will very quickly use data, turn the youtube settings down. Also, a web browser with something like noscript installed helps to keep pages from doing things, as well as helps prevent viruses on PCs.

I'm afraid very few around here have Apple stuff, although I have used them (I can figure out anything if it's in front of me, I use Linux personally, so no viruses to speak of either), so specific advice I can't give, other than possibly your modems having phantom usage or bootlooping, the data is either being used by someone (any teenagers around being sneaky?), or an unknown program/backup service or device is using it. I guess I keep most people with cheap PC stuff and cheap routers, and everyone gets along. Internal hardware is identical to Apple stuff, manufactured by the same companies, so the main differences are support, design/materials, and the Apple ecosystem. If a person is willing to pay the price, it's only personal preference. PCs are very reliable (except for certain companies/models that are badly designed) with little knowledge, and if someone doesn't have that knowledge, it just requires a little bit more setup and quick instruction. It's been years since I've seen a bad virus in the area, and months since I've seen an annoying piece of malware. They really aren't that bad, even the super cheap ones (as you sort of alluded to in your post). I have been the sort of tech in the area, rare trips, though I own and operate a small 900 acre ranch by myself.

Did you ask about or consider a second DSL line? Or maybe a third? You wouldn't have the speed, but you would have the capacity (instead of the speed, and not the capacity...). General web browsing should be very similar, and it should be enough to stream decent quality video. With satellite, you're turning down the quality anyway to stay under the cap, so I doubt there would be much difference. I'm guessing the problem was mostly when multiple people were on. The slower speed should only be more annoying when doing video, or uploading large files, and with the limits you aren't doing much of that anyway. They make routers that you could connect the two lines to. Load balancing dual WAN, then the two lines are managed automatically, you don't get double the speed though, it just routes traffic. I'm about 15 miles out from the village, too far out for DSL (I'm only 8 miles from a Verizon tower, and have 4G, over 20meg all the time, 20GB for $70 per month), but even here some 40 years ago they ran in two lines to the house, the other one would just need turned on with no additional work, if DSL were available. So your area might have done similar, or if you already had multiple lines in. In any case, you could still have one DSL line for anyone wanting to stream video, gaming, backups, etc. Depending how far apart the buildings are, you could share.

Liberty

Tucson, AZ
reply to happygirl1

Quick note to say I have not abandoned this 'project'
Life has thrown higher priorities at me
Will return to this, this afternoon

Bob

james1979
Premium
join:2012-10-09
Quinault, WA
reply to happygirl1

DSL is implemented through telephone. You appear to have the Exede-12 Internet satellite service marketed and serviced by Dish - right? (But 4 accounts? I would think that some of those dishes are for Dish Network satellite TV.) Yes, "Dishnet" is going to be fast, but it's easy to use up your data allowance with videos or just many people looking at photos on Facebook, etc.

If you want to track down where all of the data is going, I would follow the Dr's suggestion of a network monitoring tool. I am using Airport Utility 5.6.1 where SNMP is allowed. Apparently Apple has disabled that in later versions, so you might have to download an older version of Airport Utility to monitor your network.

Since the situation is just going to worsen once the family moves in, you might consider a DSL account (it's unclear if one already exists) as a backup (and/or for the staff to use ). Also, this seems like an situation where the recently announced Exede Evolution plan might be come in useful in some way: »www.exede.com/evolution And there is a topic about it on this forum. (You might be able to switch over without paying an early termination fee.) It sounds like the 5 GB would disappear pretty quickly, but everyone would still have basic high speed Internet. (Well, 12 Mbps / #_of_users .) If you went the Evolution route, the only reason to have slow DSL would be as an backup ISP for weather related satellite problems.

Edit: You may be getting 20 Mbps now (I often do), but the goal for the Exede-12 service is 12 Mbps, so don't expect 20 Mbps to last indefinitely.

ViaSat

join:2012-02-08
kudos:1
reply to happygirl1

happygirl1, there are several things that can drive up usage unexpectedly in the background. Have you ruled out all of these things?
- Viruses or malware on any/all of the connected PCs (have they all had recent virus scans with up to date anti-virus software?)
- Peer to peer applications running on a connected PC
- Streaming Internet radio or video left running in the background
- Closed circuit security cameras uploading constant streaming video
- Internet servers connected to the local area network
- Wi-fi router secured with a password against outside use (it sounds like you ruled this out, but I'm including it because it happens commonly)
Check for a PM here from me as well. Thank you.

happygirl1

North Garden, VA
reply to Liberty

Thanks Bob, I'm really looking forward to your input.

Liberty

Tucson, AZ
reply to happygirl1

Quick note to say I have not abandoned this 'project'
Life has thrown higher priorities at me
Will return to this, this afternoon

Bob

happygirl1

North Garden, VA
reply to happygirl1

Everyone:

Thanks so much for your input in trying to help me.

I thought since our situation is so unusual and confusing I'd try and lay this out more clearly:

This is a 700 acre farm estate in rural Virginia. There is a main house (mansion), a pool house, 2 guest cottages, a log cabin, another mountain cabin, barns, stables, farm manager house, and more. These are all not close enough to each other to use the same dishes for TV or internet.

We already had 2 Dishnet accounts for TV - both completely maxed out on what Dish allows for TVs & HD Duo boxes (they only allow 6 boxes, ergo 12 TVs per account). We have 12 HD Duo boxes, several TV dishes and 24 TVs spread throughout the compound.

We already have 3 dedicated "DSL" telephone landlines via Centurylink. In our area, the max DSL they can provide is 756k-1.5M - which is next to useless. Regardless we have been paying for these for years and aside from the MASSIVE number of telephone lines we have throughout the compound, this company cannot seem to figure out how to give us more lines or any speed. I had a work order for a new DSL line for the Log Cabin in since March 1 and they just called this last week to say they now hope to get it in by Xmas (!) I finally cancelled it Friday.

This is why when Dish started advertising they could offer high speed in our area we moved heaven and earth to get these in. They only allow 1 internet access on 1 account (I have no idea why it is beyond annoying), so I added 2 new internet dishes to the existing 2 accounts and had to open 2 new accounts under other names and addresses and emails to get the total of 4 internet dishes.

The Internet dishes are placed thusly:

1. The Office - this is on one side of the property and allows WiFi access in my office, the owner's office, and a guest cottage above us.

This one was installed on July 15 and has been great. It has an Apple Time Capsule as the router. I use it 24/7 with a PC and my iPhone and an Mac laptop all happily updating and clouding and whatever for the past 6 weeks without a care. The usage on that (according to the Dish site today) is 3GB remaining and the billing month starts a new tomorrow. In other words in a month of constant use, I only used 7GB.

2. The Pool House - this is about 500-1000 feet from the office and the main house. It was set up on its own account also on July 15 and has also had no problems. It allows access only to the pool house and the pool outside. There have been no people hanging out there to use anything and there is no computer equipment. I have speed tested in there, set up the Apple Extreme router, tested HD YouTube videos and in 1 month I still have 9.8GB left of the 10GB allotted. No problem. Expected use will only be iPads or iPhones of people hanging out around the pool or in the pool house. There is no reason the Main House (next) should not have the same 9.8GB remaining, as it has actually had even less testing and similar set up.

3. The Main House - this is about 500 feet from the office (although they are physically connected by underground tunnels) and the Dish and modem for this are on the other side of the house, with the modem in the Library using an Apple Exteme (same as the pool house). It was installed on July 31. It allows Wifi access to the library, 2 bedrooms and a guest cottage across the lawn via 3 additional Apple Expresses.

There are NO computers in the house now or ever. Expected use is iPhones and iPads of the owners and guests. I speed tested the same as usual with my iPhone a couple of times and that was it. This house has been and is currently EMPTY. I go in there periodically to check things in the house and never use WiFi (I do that in the office).

There was no problem on this account until this past Thursday (8/29) when the drama with the farm manager's set up (see below) caused me to look at all of the usages, and then I saw that this account in the Main House had only 2GB remaining. Since that date (over this weekend) that again dropped to 1.8999999 and then within 15 minutes of my driving over there it was down to 1.5GB. This is why I am freaking about this modem. There is no one in the house, near the house, no equipment that can be updating itself or iClouding or anything. But somehow in a month magically 8.5GB are gone.

4. The Farm Manager's house - this house is clear on the other side of the property as are the barns and stables, equipment sheds and the part of the mountain that has the log and mountain cabins. I'd guess about 50 acres away.

This was the last account set up and dish & modem installed on 8/19. The farm manager who oversees the farm work and his wife live there. They are the only people who have computers on the property (other than the one I have in my office without a problem). They *have* had problems with their PCs and viruses etc etc etc. They are fairly clueless about technology and basically the wife spends time on Facebook and emails. The husband rarely uses his laptop other than for taxes. He loves his new iPhone. This iPhone is not syncing with his PC or anything else. It is just an iPhone on its own. He may likely have iCloud turned on but all it would be syncing is his small number of contacts and maybe a handful of photos.

This account is what started the freak out.

It was installed 8/19 and by 8/23 the wife said it sucked and she had no speed. I went over there and could get nothing either. I called Dish and that's when they told me that that monthly allotment of 10GB was gone. After flipping out at the whole idea, and the family denying they did anything (the wife's dad is dying and she has rarely been home, but only dealing with emails and updating family on Facebook - but who knows what she was really doing), I yanked the system out of their house leaving her back on the Centurylink 1MB DSL line.

I had Dish move this dish and modem to the manager's office by the stables. There he is the only one using it and only has his iPhone. The router is an Apple Express.
I paid $10 for an extra 1GB while the installer was there (it was a Dish guy not a sub) and when he left .3MB was gone simply from the set up.

It is entirely plausible to me that the wife's PC has virus issues and that they have some sort of set up that is constantly updating. It is also plausible that their son and daughter in law (who can only get dialup) came over and used data which they are denying. This is why I moved the account to the stable area.

I had no idea of GB usage burn since I assumed you would have to be doing something I think of as excessive (streaming movies, playing online games like World of Warcraft, etc.) so 10GB a month seemed reasonable (I assumed no company would offer that if it weren't reasonable)...

No one is playing online radio or doing any of this. We have regular radio and TVs everywhere. I doubt the farm manager's family even knows there's such a thing as internet radio. I don't think I've heard anyone turn on a radio ever anyway. People are too busy working and making loud noise with equipment and boiling in the humidity - LOL.

Regarding the equipment we have, there is confusion on this, as some is Exede and some Wild Blue, at least that what I can see on the bottom of the speedtest.net screen. I only knew about Exede from the techs who said it was the best they had and that Dish had bought Wild Blue and Hughes Net etc. In our area these companies have had a horrid reputation (esp Hughes) so I would have never been interested had I known.

As an update today, I have left the Library/Main House modem and power shut off since this weekend. Today I was in the office online all day and I just checked Dish online and it says there are still 3GB remaining for the month. The Pool House I turned on this morning and it still says it has its 9.8GB remaining.

I am praying to God that whatever was going on in the Library and the Farm Manager was indeed human and maybe I've put a stop to it by changing passwords and moving the one from the Farm Manager family.

Otherwise I'm at a loss.

Thanks so much for all of your input.

Spice300
Premium
join:2006-01-10
reply to happygirl1

Wildblue modems are blue. Exede modems are black. Wildblue modems are not being installed anymore, and since your 4 satellite systems were installed recently, they should all be Exede systems.

Dish Network does not own Wildblue nor HughesNet. Both Wildblue and Exede are owned by Viasat. Viasat bought Wildblue Communications, and after they launched their newest satellite, Viasat-1, with a download speed of 12 million bits/second, they named the service Exede to avoid confusion with the older, slower Wildblue systems. Dish Network is a reseller of Exede systems.

Do all the wireless routers use the same password? If so, maybe the manager should get a unique password for his router and not be told the password for the other three routers. If they were using the Internet via the wireless router at the main house (whether they realized it or not), this would stop it.
--
Wildblue Value Pack, beam 31, Riverside gateway

happygirl1

North Garden, VA

Thanks for the clarification on ownership Spice. I was told by all the techs (I've had 7 so far in the last 6 weeks) that Dish bought Hughes and Wild Blue and made it sound like Exede was a newer satellite/modem technology that was best that they just now had. The techs likely don't know the real story of the licensing deal.

I believe all our modems are dark gray (I'll look later today when I get into the office), all I know is that when I do a speed test, the bottom of the screen shows the IP and the system name and some of the above 4 say Wild Blue and some say Exede. Otherwise I'd have no way of knowing what they really installed (as far as I know). Plus every time I've asked for Exede, it's a big deal - they even sent one guy away because he didn't have that equipment, so they are certainly still installing things that are not Exede.

I did have all the same password because I wanted everyone to be able to access WiFi anywhere in these locations, but since this happened last week I have changed them to all be different and more complex, just in case the farm manager's grown kids were doing something or in case someone hacked the password.

As mentioned just above in my last post, these locations are vastly far from each other and the signals don't go that far. I can't be in my office and walk outside and maintain a signal even if I'm 20 feet from the modem/router. The reason we have 3 Express routers in the House is to try and pick up the signal in some of the rooms, but you can't go in the backyard or front yard or driveway or whatever and maintain a signal. The place to too huge. If we could do that we wouldn't have needed 4 systems.

Spice300
Premium
reply to happygirl1

Ok, it is unlikely that a person is using the Internet at the house. Are you absolutely sure there is no equipment in the house, like a digital video recorder or surveillance system, that is automatically accessing the Internet via WiFi? Changing the password would stop such machines from accessing the Internet, if they are not given the new password, but would also prevent them from working the way they are intended.
--
Wildblue Value Pack, beam 31, Riverside gateway

happygirl1

North Garden, VA

I promise you we have absolutely nothing in the house like that. Bear in mind that the whole reason we are getting these systems is because we had such meager internet via landline (756k-1M) and absolutely no signal that would allow the owners to even be able to use their iPads from their bedroom (one of which is directly below the Library room where the modem is.) And such poor speed the owner could never see a YouTube video without it freezing and buffering for really long periods of time. We were also using Netgear routers. The Apple Extreme and Express are also new with the Exede/Dish stuff.

So we would have never be able to use a system that uploads or whatever. We have security throughout the compound but it is linked through the phone landlines, not anything else. This area gets little-to-no cell service or WiFi, so no one and nothing there depends on cell or WiFi connections.

Getting the Dish satellite internet speed is a Godsend to us (but not if its gonna swallow the entire month's worth of 10GB in a couple of days). Until we get this sorted I have shut off the power to the modem in the Library so nothing can happen. I'm looking now to see if the Apple Extreme and the Express are somehow doing something in communicating with each other that would be using our 10GB. I can't imagine they would - they are just routers throwing a signal through the space, but you never know.

Liberty

Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to happygirl1

Now that you have the modem/tria that is/was chewing thru bandwidth at unsustainable rate to a different user pool - lets see a longer trend in it's usage

We also want to monitor the new setup at the 'wife's place'
My knee jerk thought is she has some flavor of malware
If the usage begins to surge it would underscore that theory
If usage there is reasonable, we need to shift our attention back to the modem dish combo currently at the managers office

The fact your site has transient users and other users who may or may not be remembering what all they have done on net makes this a challenge to nail down

If I was there I would identify over time which sites have the most and least usage, regularly
Use a sharpie to identify each modem with a name or number
Swap low usage modem/sites with the high usage modem/sites - see if the high usage stays at site or follows modem
(don't depend on memory, document what, where & when)

WB modems have 2 cables connected to them
Exede has one

Spice300
Premium
reply to happygirl1

Written by happygirl1:
(but not if its gonna swallow the entire month's worth of 10GB in a couple of days)
Absolutely, an idle modem should show no usage.

seagreen
Premium,Mod
join:2001-05-14
out there

1 edit
reply to happygirl1

A couple of questions for you.

1) What about TVs? Does the house have Dish TV service? Are there one or more DVRs in the house? Are the TVs or VCRs connected to an ethernet cable? Could somebody be recording on-demand TV programs?

We have DirecTV and I can log in to the DTV website and remotely order a on-demand program to record to the DVR. I don't have to be in the house to do that. That program comes in to the DVR via my Internet connection; not via satellite.

2) Smart phones use a lot of data updating themselves constantly & without their owners' knowledge but 10 GB does seem like too much. For the moment, let's assume the iPhone doesn't have a virus; are there any android phones around?

happygirl1

North Garden, VA
reply to happygirl1

Dear all:

Thanks so very much for all your input. What I've done is moved the farm manager's setup to his barn/stable office where only he has a connection from his iPhone (and he has to be in there to get the signal). His wife & family have no access (unless of course they used his iPhone). Changed the password. In the past 7 days he's still only at .7GB remaining so nothing's been used (but we did lose the .3GB during the install/move by the technician).

In the Library, (where there was zero possibility of anyone - not even any client in there to connect) I created a new network yesterday, with a complex password and will watch it like a hawk.

I created an Excel chart to monitor daily all 4 accounts. The one account that truly gets 24/7 usage is my office and that seems to use a reasonable .2GB/day, so 6GB for a 30 day period. If the others do that, I'm happy. When I have lots of family and guests, I can always pay the extra $$$ to add GBs for that period, but that happens only 2-3 times a year. (I'm assuming of course that Dish allows you to buy more than 1 GB extra in a pay period and that I could add 10 or whatever at the time)....

I'll keep you posted if there are any more issues!!!!

Have a wonderful weekend!

DrStrangLov

said by happygirl1:

I'll keep you posted if there are any more issues!!!!

OK, happygirl1, now take a break, and enjoy!

happygirl1

North Garden, VA

As a former music exec, I truly regret that I didn't get to be at the marketing meeting when this video was first presented - LOL!!! priceless....

DrStrangLov

said by happygirl1:

at the marketing meeting when this video was first presented...

Sidebar - VIDEO: Norway duo's genius electro-pop spoof....The duo, who go by the names Bård and Vegard Ylvisåker, put together their brilliant take-off of manufactured pop to promote the new season of their talk show on TV Norge.

8,402,362 hits in five days