dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
s_tux_g
join:2012-03-03

s_tux_g

If I would be a person seeking for ISP ... (Web site)

Hi guys,

As for part 1 (Web site), I would like to know some opinion of those of you who had seen the old TekSavvy web site and could compare it with the modern one. I am 45, I wasn't born in Canada but I am a professional software engineer and I don't really understand the purpose of so stupid pictures and even more stupid slogans in my opinion on all TekSavvy web pages. For instance the main page:

Is there any logical explanation? Why it's occupying about 80% of the page and carrying no information at all? What is this for? Is it for idiots looking for the way to spend some money for nothing? If I'd like to contact the company which is a very important part of the company advertisement for example then I had to get a microscope to recognize so small font at the bottom of the page.

What was the goal to replace maybe not so well designed but informative old pages with this "modern" crap? Shouldn't it be something different for the company that claims to be a tech-savvy one and what they've been before?

Thanks!

P.S: I wouldn't like to hear any of fan-boys opinion so, please do not post such. Being 7+ years with TekSavvy I already know they are at vendor/incumbent/whatever-else mercy.

dersh
@rogers.com

dersh

Anon

...that says nothing about spending money. It says you can write 50 words and get $5,000 for students.

Zspeed
join:2013-08-30

Zspeed to s_tux_g

to s_tux_g
I've been following TekSavvy since about 2005. In regard to your website upgrade issue, I don't really have a comment. At first, I was apprehensive, but now its okay, the only beef I have is their extensive use of javascript, I can't get to DSL pricing info page without javascript.... and cookies. And why use the postal code selection thingy.

I just want the direct list of pricing, now I use »www.teksavvy.com/en/why- ··· e-notice

The only problem would then be pricing info for modem, shipping, static IP, mlpp, dry-loop, etc.

Anyways, its not really that much of a pain to allow js and cookies. Would prefer static pages though.
onlinejunkie
Premium Member
join:2002-10-26
Orleans, ON

onlinejunkie

Premium Member

javascript... cookies... really?

how can anyone get around the internet without those two things not enabled.... I would be very surprised to find out that more then 1% would not use these two features.

why use the postal code thing? so they can tell you what service are available in your area. not all area's have the same services.

latest reports on web is that less then 1% do not allow javascript and cookies (usually servers and crawlers).... seems to me that it would be a pain in the ass to not have those two enabled... i mean if its that 'paranoying' that you have cookies, then delete after close browser, but javascript, what is the issue there?

im not trying to be condescending but it aint 1999 anymore... if you say that javascript could get a virus then stop visiting those types of sites, and get a malware / antivirus solution... to complain that the website you go to has javascript enabled is like complaining that government puts signs on the highway to help your expierence in getting to a location
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to Zspeed

to Zspeed
said by Zspeed:

And why use the postal code selection thingy.

So they can tell you what services are available in your area.

rogersmogers
@start.ca

rogersmogers to onlinejunkie

Anon

to onlinejunkie
said by onlinejunkie:

javascript... cookies... really?

how can anyone get around the internet without those two things not enabled.... I would be very surprised to find out that more then 1% would not use these two features.

why use the postal code thing? so they can tell you what service are available in your area. not all area's have the same services.

latest reports on web is that less then 1% do not allow javascript and cookies (usually servers and crawlers).... seems to me that it would be a pain in the ass to not have those two enabled... i mean if its that 'paranoying' that you have cookies, then delete after close browser, but javascript, what is the issue there?

im not trying to be condescending but it aint 1999 anymore... if you say that javascript could get a virus then stop visiting those types of sites, and get a malware / antivirus solution... to complain that the website you go to has javascript enabled is like complaining that government puts signs on the highway to help your expierence in getting to a location

The paranoia with javascript is from the java software exploits and people still seem to think javascript requires java too work.

You are right those who go around no using cookies, no javascript etc.. just turn off your computer and take your modem back no reason to have the internet if you are going to hide under a rock.
f7
join:2013-07-29

f7 to s_tux_g

to s_tux_g
If TKS has update web site with better info...their customer service would have less inquiries..

Operational wise TK needs a better person to run it..in my opinion...
but not as bad as Dustributel...

neuromancer1
join:2007-01-22
York, ON

neuromancer1 to s_tux_g

to s_tux_g
There was many threads protesting the silly and useless new website when it was launched. I'd have to agree it's bloated, pointless and annoying. Teksavvy is now targeting the less Tech savvy market like Apple, Bell, Rogers does. Silly photographs and a pretty site is going to attract the masses. The no frills, professional, great support and service Teksavvy is long gone, I'm sure you've seen the silly commercials, the Teksavvy Harlem Shake You Tube videos and the branded smart cars. All money that could've gone into improving customer support and infrastructure.
kanatamike
join:2013-07-19
Kanata, ON

1 recommendation

kanatamike to s_tux_g

to s_tux_g
Have you never seen marketing before? Do you walk around all day with your eyes closed?
kanatamike

kanatamike to neuromancer1

to neuromancer1
You can't grow your market share without marketing. Marketing costs money. This is a pretty simple concept.

Teksavvy is in business to make money, just like Rogers and every other business. They are not in business to provide customers with the best possible service, because the best possible service is NEVER profitable.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to neuromancer1

to neuromancer1
said by neuromancer1:

All money that could've gone into improving customer support and infrastructure.

Simply throwing money at the customer support issues is not going to do anything and their core infrastructure is fine as is; the issues are with the vendors they're dependent on and they can't simply throw money at trying to fix those issues.

Zspeed
join:2013-08-30

Zspeed to 34764170

to 34764170
said by 34764170:

said by Zspeed:

And why use the postal code selection thingy.

So they can tell you what services are available in your area.

I know, I'm an idiot to put it like so, my bad. I meant why not make the price info easily accessible without having to put a postal code every time. I don't mind it. I would much prefer if the availability checkup was a non-mandatory form. Also a selectable layered google map would be nice, as I could make better moving decision base on network availability in the area. I already have access to Canada Post's code postal maps to make those decision, but its not self-evident for most other potential client.

Moreover, I perfectly know the difference between js and java, actually, I build my own subset of java for redistribution in systems I may need to deploy it. My beef with js is that is adds to page load time particularly when a site uses async js requests (XMLHttpRequest) such as with jquery and mootools, and breaks page content info whenever js is disabled.

Lastly, I tend to use lynx for browsing when I work. Which is prefers static pages. Heck Reddit, Google (Gmail, Maps, etc.) and many major sites, works amazingly well with lynx or any browser with js and cookie disabled. If they can do it, its just proof that sites that fail without those were badly designed, unless they explicitly need the capability from js to actually serve the service they presents (twitter most notably).

Well, I can find everything I need from TekSavvy's site, so I don't have any real issue beyond the above 'cosmetic' examples.