spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

AlexFolland

join:2012-06-06
Toronto, ON

[INTERNET] Acanac to Start: Anything else to do?

I signed up for Start cable internet just now, including a modem purchase. I haven't yet told Acanac I want to cancel with them, since I want to ensure I have my new connection before my old connection is gone. I don't have a telephone, so it's essential that my internet connection remains alive since it's my only form of telecommunication. What should I do now?

DavePC

join:2013-08-18
Scarborough, ON
I'd say over lap your services, If it's really important.

If you want the free transfer however, there generally is a 24 hour downtime, between transfers.

AlexFolland

Toronto, ON
I could handle a 24-hour downtime on the date I gave Start (2013-09-20) because it's a Friday, but I would have to have a total guarantee that they would be able to give me service before the Sunday. Also, when I have that downtime, I would have no way of being contacted or contacting them unless they showed up at my door, so I'd need a guarantee that they'd be there.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
With that provider because the disconnect submission is sent after the cancellation there is no way to provide any guarentee of exactly what day that will happen in advance. If it's critical I'd concur with DavePC and suggest that you get an installation instead and overlap it by a week.

AlexFolland

Toronto, ON
said by rocca:

With that provider because the disconnect submission is sent after the cancellation there is no way to provide any guarentee of exactly what day that will happen in advance. If it's critical I'd concur with DavePC and suggest that you get an installation instead and overlap it by a week.

OK! I've started an email conversation with a "Cassie" at sales@start.ca and asked how I should pay the $50 installation fee, since I've already placed an order. Can Start just charge my account now? That would be simplest. I hereby authorize that to happen exactly once.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
they'll probably get back to you about it, but you can always just make any sort of payment through their website and then let them know:

»www.start.ca/services/payment

AlexFolland

Toronto, ON
They've replied back and everything is going smoothly. I've now sent my cancellation request for 2013-09-20 to Acanac, and an "Ian" at sales@start.ca has assured me that as soon as my Acanac service is cancelled on the 20th, I can plug in my new Start modem and my Start service will start. Start.

Edit: Yuck @ image smilies. I wish there was a way to disable them so my post would show cute text smilies instead.

AlexFolland

Toronto, ON

1 edit
Once again, Acanac shows its incompetence. I opened a ticket with them yesterday saying this:

"I am switching to another ISP. Please cancel my cable internet account and service effective 2013-09-20 (September 20, 2013). Please continue to provide this month's paid service until that day.

Thank you!"

They responded with this then CLOSED the ticket:

"Hello,

Would you please provide us with your reason of cancellation? Please let us know if there is any problem.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,
Acanac Inc."

I can't even respond to the ticket now because it's closed. Not only did they not deal with the ticket's actual business, but they asked a question AND closed the ticket. It's incompetence like this that makes me hate Acanac.

Hopefully I can actually set the cancellation date in time. I've PMed Fergless (Acanac employee) in hopes that they can help me.

Edit: Apparently, I was wrong! I couldn't respond to the ticket before (and I did try!) but now I can. Fergless told me so. I don't understand. Anyway, I responded and hopefully they will get around to giving me a confirmation on the date.

rosenqui
Premium
join:2004-05-28
Kanata, ON
reply to rocca
said by rocca:

I was under the impression that Rogers would not allow 2 TPIA services at the same address over the same coax. I'm on Acanac too and was planning on switching but want to minimize downtime.

Will they process a new activation for Start if Acanac is already active at my address? If so, great - I don't mind paying for both for a month to ensure that downtime is zero or minimal.
--
Adventures in Canadian cord cutting - »www.canadiancordcutting.com/

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
Yes there is no problem having two TPIA installs at the same residence.

rosenqui
Premium
join:2004-05-28
Kanata, ON
said by rocca:

Yes there is no problem having two TPIA installs at the same residence.

Will they do a 2nd TPIA install over the same coax line? I'm ~200' from the road, so running a second coax isn't practical. I realize that technically there's little difference between Rogers running a second line and me using a good splitter inside the house to hook up a second cable modem, but other TPIA vendors have been telling customers that Rogers won't install a second TPIA service on a single coax.
--
Adventures in Canadian cord cutting - »www.canadiancordcutting.com/

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
Yes, the splitter is placed inside the premises.

rik3452

join:2013-08-22
Windsor, ON

4 edits
reply to AlexFolland
Honestly, I would be sooo darn thankful, (aka: kissing the ground), that I'm finally escaping from "Assanac", that nothing else would matter. -seriously. -acanac is horrible.

On the other hand, it's also good to have lots of isp's competing, even if they ALL have to answer to bell/rogers/telus/cogeco gov't camp, no-thanks to our very own (so-called) representative crown CRTC.
... it's ok though, 'cause it all sort-of helps keep the rates down, even if it's just a little ?

AlexFolland

Toronto, ON
reply to rocca
Hmm. It seems that now, Start requires me to have a telephone number. I don't actually own a telephone, nor subscribe to telephone service. I've been using Acanac all this time without having a telephone subscription of any kind. Is there a way I can transfer to Start without one, too, or a way I can get a telephone line easily? I wouldn't want any incoming calls except ISP-related ones, and no telemarketing types either.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
It can be a cell #, and no worries we don't telemarket.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to AlexFolland
Although email and the online contact from on Start's website can be used for getting support from them, IMHO, support should always be done in real time. It's just simpler and more efficient. Results to any troubleshooting can be recorded in real time. With email support, there's always going to be the delay between reading and sending emails.

It's your prerogative though, if email contact is the only form of contact you would like with Start.

AlexFolland

Toronto, ON
reply to rocca
I don't have a cell #. That is included in "telephone service".

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
Maybe you can provide a friend/family phone # who can answer the phone for the installer and acknowledge that "you're home" - but we can't submit an order without a #, and when the installer calls the number it has to be answered or it will be cancelled.

AlexFolland

Toronto, ON
Okay. I've provided my roommate's number to support. I hope this works! ;o

AlexFolland

Toronto, ON
reply to AlexFolland
This has been a mess. The 20th went by with no confirmation of that date being a transfer date. Then, when I emailed about it, I was asked to reconfirm the disconnection date, since I had said that Acanac told me the "term would not be renewed" on September 30th. I told Start that Acanac had said this and asked if that was the disconnection date. However, it's been 5 days since I said that and I have not yet had a response.

The critical date is approaching, so now I've told Acanac to renew my term on that date and told Start that I would do this because I can't afford to not have an internet connection on October 1st.

I will try again for an ISP switch to Start at some point in the future. It just can't take more than a few days, starting on a Friday and ending on a Monday. I need to have an internet connection on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
Unfortunately the only way you'll get seamless with a switch away from that provider is by doing a new install with a new modem and overlapping. (or waiting until May when the rules for transfers change)