how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Sulev

join:2007-09-12
Lewisville, TX

Too many devices?

I started some years ago on a Verizon 25/25mpbs plan.

My Verizon-supplied router/WiFi access point is a Verizon 9100EM router. I think thats some Actiontec device, but I don't recall where I found that information.

Over time my network (and the number of attached devices) has grown like Topsy. Now I find myself with connection problems that I can only resolve by powering down the router and then restarting the router. At that time the problem moves on to another device. SO I'm suspecting that my poor little router is not up to the task anymore.

Before I spend the $80 to upgrade to the Better router VZ advertize on their pages, I'd like to try and confirm that it will resolve my issues.

Let me try and describe my network.

My VZ router has one SSID broadcast on Channel 6. There are no collisions with neighboring systems if I check using a WiFi monitoring tool on my Android phone.

On the VZ router I have 3 Ethernet connections.
1. My Windows Home server used for backup, file storage and stuff like that.
2. An Ethernet connection to my den on the other side of the house.

This connection has an 8-port switch with the following device attached.
2.1 My Samsung TV
2.2 Samsung Blu-Ray player
2.3 Wii
2.4 Family computer
2.5 Logitech Skype Camera for the TV
2.6 A Zuni Connect WiFi router acting as an access point with the same SSID as the VZ router. This is intended to give a better signal in a part of the house that had poor WiFi reception. As with all devices like this, once set up and connected, they "disappear" from my visibility and I can't see any status on them. It seems they act like a switch and is essentially invisible to me to monitor or configure without going through a factory reset. The Channel for this is set to be on a different channel than the one used by the VZ router (Broadcasting on channel 11.)

3. A Rosewill T600N Wireless router, also configured as a Wireless access point.
This router has two configured SSIDs, one on 2.4GHz and one on 5.0 GHz.These SSIDS are different from the one used by the VZ router and the AP described above. It also uses WPA2 instead of WEP. (I know, I'm just too lazy to go around finding and updating all the devices that are able to connect to the WEP configuration.)

I'm mainly using the Rosewill router to provide connectivity for my desktop. This I do in two ways.
1) I connect wirelessly using a Rosewill N600PCW PCI adapter that connects to the 5.0 GHz signal/SSID
2. I have a "Ethernet" connection from my desktop's Ethernet port to a Trendnet Gaming adapter that in turn connects to the 2.4 GHz SSID broadcast on channel 1.

In total, there are anywhere between 18 and 25 devices connected to the network. These include iPads, iPods, handheld gaming devices (Nintendo), my Kindle, out Android phones (3), a wireless printer, and probably a few other things I'm forgetting.

If I look at the status page of my router, even immediately after a refresh some devices are listed as offline, strangely enough.

Somewhere in the mix I have a Chromecast device that I'm having issues connecting

So, the long and the short, if anyone is still reading, will I get better connectivity using a newer main router the Verizon Gig-E? Or are there other things I can do to improve my connectivity?

Springbok

join:2002-09-13
Colleyville, TX
Those are not very many devices. But the problem you are describing sounds like some devices obtain duplicate IP addresses. You can have one and only one DHCP server active at any given point in time, so are you sure DHCP is only enabled on one of you routers and WIFI access points?

propcgamer

join:2001-10-10
reply to Sulev
Sounds like you need to go over the configuration of your 3 routers.

I'd also ditch using the verizon router's wireless and simply use your wireless-n router.

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
kudos:1
reply to Sulev
yep you are better off spending +80 for your own router.

RT-AC66u or RT-N66u are great routers I am running AC-66u with DD-WRT and it's great.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to Sulev
The Asus RT-N56U router works great also. I use one in router mode and one in AP mode. I have over sixty devices on my network with no issues. It's been many, many years since I had as few as 25 devices on my network. Those few devices should really not be an issue for the FiOS router.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to Sulev
We have the following on our Verizon router and have no issues because of it

5 PC's
3 Mac Book Pros
1 Mac Mini
1 iMac
4 iPhones
1 Android Phone
1 Android Tablet
3 cable boxes
1 Sling box
2 HP Printers
3 Xbox 360's
1 PS3
1 Wii
1 Samsung TV
2 Samsung Blu-Ray players

Total = 30 Devices
--

Fiber Optics is the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR Fiber Optic Forum

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
reply to Sulev
said by Sulev:

My Verizon-supplied router/WiFi access point is a Verizon 9100EM router. I think thats some Actiontec device,

The 9100EM is/was manufactured by Westell, not Actiontec. Westell consumer division is now owned by Netgear.
said by Sulev:

At that time the problem moves on to another device.

Not clear what problem "moves on to another device".
said by Sulev:

I'm suspecting that my poor little router is not up to the task anymore.

The 9100EM is a very capable router. It should have no problem handling your devices. The only downside of the 9100EM is that it is a 802.11g only router.
said by Sulev:

Before I spend the $80 to upgrade to the Better router VZ advertize on their pages, I'd like to try and confirm that it will resolve my issues.

Have you tried to get VZ to replace the router?
said by Sulev:

ISomewhere in the mix I have a Chromecast device that I'm having issues connecting

See this thread on the VZ forums.
»forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Inter···p/605865
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Sulev

join:2007-09-12
Lewisville, TX
The problem I'm experiencing is that one or more devices just won't connect. Today it was first my Skype video camera (Ethernet attached). Then later in the day I noticed that my smartphone would not connect to WiFi.

Yesterday my main desktop had connectivity problems until I disable the Ethernet port and connected only via WiFi.