Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Spared a grieving family

I was driving mom and grandma to garage sales (I've got better things to do with my time as garage sales are not my favorite activity) and we came across an estate sale. Among the items for sale at the estate sale was a DirecTV receiver and I politely reminded the host that DirecTV wants their equipment back. I think the equipment in question was a D10 SD receiver.

I probably spared the family from collection agency hell. Not much you can collect off of a deceased individual unless the estate has money and that takes the long process of going through probate. I felt kind of sad thinking this was once somebody's things and a grieving family had to decide to sell them off.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89

Premium Member

They have to call Direct TV.one of My friends when changing from dish they did't want all there boxes back due for some resion so he let take one and take it apart.

amenite
The Soylent - It's People
Premium Member
join:2002-11-21
Ridgewood, NJ

amenite to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
DirecTV never wanted my equipment back, just their access cards which they got. I continue to own all four boxes, the hard drives in them etc, and once my initial contract term was up it was all mine including the dish.

The only thing to look out for is a bricked unit - if there's an account in arrears associated with a box you'll not be able to activate it (without paying anyway, in which case just buy a new one).