Click for full size
UPS ONT
Click for full size
UPS
Click for full size
ONT
It got installed this morning!!!

Here my new profile:

No more 15 down and 1.7 up. See attached pictures for the UPS and ONT installs. They have to run the outdoor Ethernet cable back outside to 2nd floor to get to the Gateway. The whole job took about 4.5 hrs. The tech came before 9 am.

donkey

join:2008-04-08
Montreal, QC

I'm jealous, nice geek pr0n!

mrdylanblue

join:2013-02-27
Brampton, ON
reply to hlo207

Nice!

Welcome to the world of ftth.

SLAMtech

join:2009-12-03
kudos:1
reply to hlo207

Glad to hear everything went good. I also see they ran the cat5 like you wanted up and out it looks. Hopefully Bell will start rolling out more and more brownfield ftth in ontario soon...

hlo207

join:2012-11-16
North York, ON
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe

The tech (Neville) said he usually recommend people put the Sagemcom at the ground floor instead of basement which he said is usually the worst place. When I told him I want 2nd floor, there was no argument whatsoever. He just grab the box of outdoor cables, along with his tools upstairs, drill the hole, and start pushing the outdoor cat5 thru the hole.

hogtownhog

join:2013-08-23
Toronto, ON
reply to hlo207

Nice!

Just out of curiosity, what's your closet major intersection?

hlo207

North York, ON

Yonge & Finch. Let just say I am within 300 metres ground distance of the Bell CO on Finch Ave E.

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
reply to hlo207

Did you pay for this upgrade? I thought FTTH wasn't coming for a long time.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada

is this a house or an appartment? did u have copper before? is the fiber optic connected via ariel over head wire from the bell utility pole to your house or is it burried underground to your house?
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

hlo207

North York, ON
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe

Reply to geokilla:
Upgrade/install is free but you must order the FTTH packages. For my area it has to be the 50/50 or 175/175. They won't run the fibre if you want the slower Fibe packages. I will now pay what I was paying for Fibe 15/10 + the unlimited bandwidth. I lost the unlimited but still have 175 GB. Good enough for now.

In the block bounded by Finch, Sheppard, Yonge, and Bayview: they have been running the new think fibre optics lines since end of June. If your neighborhood is above ground as well, take a look at my older post »[Internet] Fiber Optic upgrade in North York (SE if Yonge/Finch) and look for those "features" on the poles.

To Paolo:
Its a house, a 25 years old house to be specific. It was copper until yesterday. The Bell R.O.W. is at the property line at the backyard, all Bell wires (copper + fibre) are above ground on wooden poles. The poles on the street carries electricity and Rogers.

donkey

Montreal, QC

They left the copper line intact? Or it a bell thing to tear it out when you get Fiber? Just curious, thanks.
--
WestLink Cable is a SCAM

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to geokilla

said by geokilla:

Did you pay for this upgrade? I thought FTTH wasn't coming for a long time.

For people with buried wiring, it won't be coming for a while. Yonge and Finch area has a lot of houses served by aerial wiring.

hlo207

North York, ON
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to donkey

said by donkey:

They left the copper line intact? Or it a bell thing to tear it out when you get Fiber? Just curious, thanks.

Bell tech cut and remove the old copper line during the fiber installation. The fibre NOT has a UPS with 10 hrs of power in case of power outage so you can still use the phone. Even if I sell the house, the new owner will be stuck with the fibre optics whether he/she wants internet or not.

donkey

Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Acanac
·TekSavvy DSL

1 edit

Ouch, those dirty buggers! thanks for letting me know!

If they ever start to offer fiber in my neck of the woods, I would DEMAND they leave the copper in place! Now it's BELL FIBE or nothing! (or cable)
--
WestLink Cable is a SCAM

hogtownhog

Toronto, ON

said by donkey:

Ouch, those dirty buggers! thanks for letting me know!

If they ever start to offer fiber in my neck of the woods, I would DEMAND they leave the copper in place! Now it's BELL FIBE or nothing! (or cable)

Policy last time I was updated is that as soon as a new service is being installed, all of the customer's services will be moved over to fibre. You will be on copper or fibre, not both.

As for customers on buried copper, as far as I know the retrofitted FTTH equipment will be on poles.

jumpingryan

join:2008-07-27
Pembroke, ON

For my place, all lines are above ground, expect the run to the house.

I don't have DSL right now in any form because it isn't available (about 1 KM away from the end of the run), but if they ever did, I would dig in the fibre and/or provide conduit at my cost....

I currently run turbo hub and I have no interest in cancelling that either (we need a backup and for when we travel), so really Bell would be gaining a service to a residence, and not losing anything expect maybe the overage charges.....

I just wish bell would do that sort of stuff.... actually work with the customer to provide service!

Ryan

hogtownhog

Toronto, ON

said by jumpingryan:

I don't have DSL right now in any form because it isn't available (about 1 KM away from the end of the run), but if they ever did, I would dig in the fibre and/or provide conduit at my cost....

I currently run turbo hub and I have no interest in cancelling that either (we need a backup and for when we travel), so really Bell would be gaining a service to a residence, and not losing anything expect maybe the overage charges.....

I just wish bell would do that sort of stuff.... actually work with the customer to provide service!

Ryan

If you want the service wire (from pole to house) run through conduit I'm sure the technician would be happy to oblige (I sure would) as long as the conduit is thick enough and has a pull cord inside.

If you wish to bury any other part of the network I don't think Bell would oblige. And if they would it would probably be prohibitively expensive.

jumpingryan

Pembroke, ON

said by hogtownhog:

said by jumpingryan:

Ryan

If you want the service wire (from pole to house) run through conduit I'm sure the technician would be happy to oblige (I sure would) as long as the conduit is thick enough and has a pull cord inside.

If you wish to bury any other part of the network I don't think Bell would oblige. And if they would it would probably be prohibitively expensive.

For me, it seems there is more to it as well. Apparently my lines are " powered" at my end to get service to my neighbours and my house (around 15 of us within 1.5 KM of line run). Unfortunately that kills the DSL ability. My only chance is reportedly a fibre upgrade to the pole, or maybe a 7330....

For thickness of the conduit, I will size to spec request, probally upsize one... I would figure 1 or 1.5 inch.

Maybe someday I will be happily burying conduit! LOL (either Bell or Cable - Cogeco). Either is about 1.5

R

btech805

join:2013-08-01
kudos:10

Yeah hes referring to a load coil, it operates the same way a hydro transformer works to send the dial tone further hut unfortunately they do kill the dsl signal. Ive noticed in alot of rural areas our cable crews have been out cutting load coils and running fibre fed repeaters so you may be in luck shortly...

jumpingryan

Pembroke, ON

said by btech805:

Yeah hes referring to a load coil, it operates the same way a hydro transformer works to send the dial tone further hut unfortunately they do kill the dsl signal. Ive noticed in alot of rural areas our cable crews have been out cutting load coils and running fibre fed repeaters so you may be in luck shortly...

That is fantastic news for those that get the upgrade, and hopefully it applies to me soon!!!

I have actually been watching some of the new Bell construction going up in my area.... and I have posted photos of new 7330's being put up amongst other stuff.

Do you have any idea what the load coils look like? As my street is an end of the run..... is there one, or many?

R

btech805

The easiest way to describe them is a small cylindrical "can" that comes off the bell line near a terminal or splice box and is vertical and attached to the pile itself below the bell line, you'll see the cable leave the bell line and into the can

Edit: there would probably only be one if your neighbors can get bell but you can't

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to btech805

said by btech805:

It may not be load coils, but instead AML.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

elec999

join:2005-12-19
reply to hlo207

Lucky you

btech805

reply to HeadSpinning

An aml is easily switchable though to dedicated pairs and phone #s, I cant see why bell would prevent them from getting dsl because theyre on an aml line, we're trying to phase as much of those out at possible

jumpingryan

Pembroke, ON
reply to btech805

said by btech805:

The easiest way to describe them is a small cylindrical "can" that comes off the bell line near a terminal or splice box and is vertical and attached to the pile itself below the bell line, you'll see the cable leave the bell line and into the can

Edit: there would probably only be one if your neighbors can get bell but you can't

I can probably figure it out where it is by the location where the internet stops....

Might snap a picture tomorrow if I can find it.

SLAMtech

join:2009-12-03
kudos:1
reply to hlo207

Just outside of London Bell ran about 15 km's of fibre and placed a 7330 in literally the middle no where to feed farmers and rural folks. They have been taking out most of the load coils and it should be up and running very soon. Sharon dr and carriage road is the location. Bell does have equipment in the rurals to feed highspeed and is actively placing more so just because no one hears about it or sees it doeant mean it aint happening. There is a lot of area to cover.

btech805

Yup just ran that to the next village over from me, no 7330, it's still co based combo cards but it's a start compared to they had nothing before, and my town still has just dial tone but I saw the other day a cut load coil on my pole line and everything is working still.

Like SLAMtech said, there's a lot of area to cover. My town is fed 17 kms away from the co so it's a lot of fibre to run

MJB

join:2012-01-29

why can't bell wire fiber to older neighborhoods? o really bell you that lazy

mrdylanblue

join:2013-02-27
Brampton, ON

Not that they don't want to, but it requires more work. It requires more through planning to find the least destructive method of running optical cables.

MJB

join:2012-01-29

k