spc
Search similar:

uniqs

deliverer
@rr.com

deliverer

Anon

[Internet] Issue in North Texas - Bad peering point

This has happened a few times in the last week. Traffic is getting slow/dropped. Can you either get with nlayer and resolve or route via a different peering point?

As an example, I can not get to the American Airlines website right now. I have also logged a ticket with the helpdesk as well as with gtt.

C:\Users\wbutler>tracert www.aa.com

Tracing route to e3217.b.akamaiedge.net [72.246.205.41]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.3
2 44 ms 22 ms 28 ms cpe-72-190-32-1.tx.res.rr.com [72.190.32.1]
3 9 ms 8 ms 10 ms tge7-2.mckntxwf02h.texas.rr.com [24.164.208.177]

4 10 ms 11 ms 31 ms tge0-8-0-2.dllatx20-tr02.texas.rr.com [24.175.37
.222]
5 14 ms 15 ms 14 ms agg27.dllatx10-cr02.texas.rr.com [24.175.36.184]

6 18 ms 19 ms 18 ms agg21.hstntxl3-cr01.texas.rr.com [24.175.49.8]
7 20 ms 19 ms 14 ms ae-2-0.cr0.hou30.tbone.rr.com [66.109.6.108]
8 20 ms 18 ms 19 ms ae-0-0.cr0.dfw10.tbone.rr.com [66.109.6.39]
9 16 ms 17 ms 18 ms ae1.pr1.dfw10.tbone.rr.com [107.14.17.234]
10 3646 ms 23 ms 93 ms xe-2-0-3.ar1.dfw1.us.nlayer.net [69.31.63.1]
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.

twccrap
@mindspring.com

twccrap

Anon

Is this problem fixed? Lot of sites that use akamaiedge.net for content delivery are hanging... like att.com, verizon.com and lot more. I am surprised TWC did nothing with this problem well over 17+hours
twccrap

twccrap

Anon

Just called them, they are unaware of it and the support person said they got bunch of calls in with this issue but don't seem to have an estimate on ETA. He was asking me to run the usual script i.e. "power cycle modem", "unplug cable", etc... and I hung up!. Time to find another provider... been with them far too long I suppose.

aggiejy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Wimberley, TX

1 edit

aggiejy to deliverer

Premium Member

to deliverer
I have the same issues here near Austin.

All sites that hang seem to be due to a domain that resolves to an Akamai CDN.

Random example:

»connect.facebook.net/en_ ··· S/all.js
(CNAME for connect.facebook.net.edgekey.net)

www.apple.com
(CNAME for www.isg-apple.com.akadns.net)

graphics8.nytimes.com
(CNAME for graphics478.nytimes.com.edgesuite.net)

etc...

It's been like this for over 24 hours. Sites that don't use Akamai load fine. So frustrating. Judging by Twitter, it seems to be a Texas TWC issue, ranging from Dallas to San Antonio, and perhaps further.

Edit: I'm using Google DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)... when using TWC's DNS, it works. So it seems to be an odd mix of TWC/GoogleDNS/Akamai. Google DNS works fine on these requests from other ISPs (tested on my server). Strange.

chamberc
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

chamberc

Premium Member

said by aggiejy:

I have the same issues here near Austin.

All sites that hang seem to be due to a domain that resolves to an Akamai CDN.

Random example:

»connect.facebook.net/en_ ··· S/all.js
(CNAME for connect.facebook.net.edgekey.net)

www.apple.com
(CNAME for www.isg-apple.com.akadns.net)

graphics8.nytimes.com
(CNAME for graphics478.nytimes.com.edgesuite.net)

etc...

It's been like this for over 24 hours. Sites that don't use Akamai load fine. So frustrating. Judging by Twitter, it seems to be a Texas TWC issue, ranging from Dallas to San Antonio, and perhaps further.

Edit: I'm using Google DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)... when using TWC's DNS, it works. So it seems to be an odd mix of TWC/GoogleDNS/Akamai. Google DNS works fine on these requests from other ISPs (tested on my server). Strange.

Good point about the dns servers. I changed from opendns to check it and the problem was corrected.
mousepad123
join:2012-12-29

mousepad123 to deliverer

to deliverer
Ok, going to let you in on something:

I've NEVER had this problem with anyone except Time Warner Cable.

If you have a home-built router, like a Smoothwall or IPCop, check it's time. Also check the time on the computer itself. For some reason, sites like Google, Youtube, and anything serviced by Akamai CDN never showed up until I fixed the time.

chamberc
Premium Member
Addison, TX

chamberc to deliverer

Premium Member

to deliverer
Any one reported this lately? Been happening a lot today. It's so weird as I can reach some sites but not others using Google' or opendns. Use twcs and the timeouts disappear.

deliverer
@myvzw.com

deliverer

Anon

I opened a ticket 2 days ago and have not heard anything from tier 3. I removed opendns on my network which corrected it. I want and should be able to use opendns though.

chamberc
Premium Member
Addison, TX

chamberc

Premium Member

Right
kludge
join:2003-01-04
Plano, TX

kludge to deliverer

to deliverer
I have exactly the same problem.

I too have narrowed it down to sites that are hosted at (or have a route through) the dfw1.us.nlayer.net subnet: 69.31.63.x.

It is only from TWC. If I use a proxy, the same site is reachable.

TWC's DNS gives a different CDN cache but it still should be able to reach the public CDN.

I think this problem has been going on for weeks (or months) now. It is intermittent. Sometimes the same site will be down for awhile and then start working, but what is really happening is Akamai starts serving the content from a different CDN address, that is accessible.

For example, on Friday www.discovercard.com resolved to 23.8.32.161 (e5587.b.akamaiedge.net), which was inaccessible - the route was through *.dfw1.us.nlayer.net.

Now e5587.b.akamaiedge.net resolves to 23.4.80.161, which is accessible. The route goes TWC > *.dt8-dallas.as6453.net (really owned by Tata??) > *.dllstx09.us.bb.gin.ntt.net > elsewhere.
Snowknight26
join:2011-04-06

Snowknight26 to deliverer

to deliverer
I noticed Akamai having issues these past few days goo. Was going to call Tier 3/4 support if it continued throughout Tuesday.

deliverer
@rr.com

deliverer

Anon

What say you TWC? I thought this was a forum you replied to? I'm still waiting on my tier 3 callback. It was supposed to be within 24 hours. Epic fail as nothing as of yet. Are you really this inept? Obviously yes.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by deliverer :

What say you TWC? I thought this was a forum you replied to? I'm still waiting on my tier 3 callback. It was supposed to be within 24 hours. Epic fail as nothing as of yet. Are you really this inept? Obviously yes.

This isn't an officially monitored TWC forum... see the direct forum for that.