spc
Search similar:

uniqs
schnifn
join:2013-08-31
Columbus, OH

schnifn

Ultra TV plus Cable Card

When I signed up a few months back for Ultra TV with WOW they told me I couldn't use a CableCARD with that service. I have a HDHome Run which I would love to use to stream tv to my laptop, but apparently with Ultra TV that's not possible?

Does anyone have a good explanation for why that is the case?
adam1991
join:2012-06-16
united state

adam1991

Call back and ask again.

There's zero reason why they shouldn't accommodate you.
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Matt7 to schnifn

to schnifn

My understanding from other posts i this forum over the years... Wow does not like to mix ultra tv and non ultra tv equipment which may be why they won't let you have a cable card.

Can't hurt to ask though.
Body Count
join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH
Netgear CM1000
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

Body Count to schnifn

to schnifn
You can use a cableCARD with UltraTV. In fact you can use DTA, CableCARD or ClearQam with UltraTV.

Thing is though they need a strong signal in order to work. With UltraTV only your media gateway needs a strong signal. Your media players feed off the gateway, not your incoming line.

If you add a CableCARD, that too also needs a strong signal coming in from the main line.

So what you do is this. From the main line get a high quality 2-way splitter. One feeds your CableCARD, the other feeds another splitter. The other splitter has your UltraTV setup on it. Place your MoCA filter before your UltraTV splitter. If you have two media players, most likely you'll have a 3-way splitter. Most 3-ways have one output that has less dB loss. Plug your gateway into that output. Your players feed off the other two.

Does that make any sense? WOW_Dan specifically said you can use DTA, cableCARD or ClearQam with UltraTV. Can't find the thread he said it in but if you search for it you can find it.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Denver, CO

Just_Dan to schnifn

Premium Member

to schnifn
said by schnifn:

When I signed up a few months back for Ultra TV with WOW they told me I couldn't use a CableCARD with that service. I have a HDHome Run which I would love to use to stream tv to my laptop, but apparently with Ultra TV that's not possible?

Does anyone have a good explanation for why that is the case?

With Ultra TV, the you can also have a DTA, CableCard, or ClearQAM television. Only the older Cisco/SA boxes aren't able to be mixed with the Ultra TV platform. I would say you should call back and ask again, maybe there was some confusion the first time.

Chad
@gblx.net

Chad

Anon

I purchased a Tivo Roamio over the weekend and plan on replacing my Ultra TV with the Tivo (with a cable card) and a standard cable modem. Right now the Media Center is in the bedroom along with one Media Player. The second Media player is in the living room. I plan on putting the Tivo in the living rooml. Can you tell me if the Media Player coax is going to the Media Center? Or is it just on the cable line wired into my house. I'm trying to figure out if I need to rewire coax or simply disconnect all the ultra tv equipment and plug in the Tivo and new cable modem.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

said by Anon80:

I purchased a Tivo Roamio over the weekend and plan on replacing my Ultra TV with the Tivo (with a cable card) and a standard cable modem. Right now the Media Center is in the bedroom along with one Media Player. The second Media player is in the living room. I plan on putting the Tivo in the living rooml. Can you tell me if the Media Player coax is going to the Media Center? Or is it just on the cable line wired into my house. I'm trying to figure out if I need to rewire coax or simply disconnect all the ultra tv equipment and plug in the Tivo and new cable modem.

Well I can't speak for how your home is wired without being on site, but if the ultra tv equipment is already hooked to those outlets then it shouldn't be a problem.