Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

CMoore2004
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Jonesville, MI
reply to bradyr

Re: [Connectivity] What's the max speed per upstream channel?

Thanks for the info. Perhaps they don't do 50/10 here because they only have the two upstream channels. When I chatted with them to see what the speeds were supposed to be they said 50Mbps/5-10Mbps.

netcool
Premium,VIP
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO
kudos:107
said by CMoore2004:

Perhaps they don't do 50/10 here because they only have the two upstream channels. When I chatted with them to see what the speeds were supposed to be they said 50Mbps/5-10Mbps.

Jonesville is one of the few areas that has not had its Blast tier updated. It's currently provisioned for 25/4 sustained with powerboost up to 37.5/6.4. So the numbers you are seeing make sense with that in mind. Unfortunately these one offs tend to cause a lot of confusion.

bradyr
Columbia College IT
Premium
join:2008-10-27
Sonora, CA
reply to CMoore2004
two upstream channels, even one 64QAM and one 16QAM is plenty to cover 10Mbps upstream. it becomes more of an issue on the downstream side. 4 channels downstream is more than enough to cover 50Mbps.

however you can run into speed or congestion issues when you have a lot of subscribers on a particular node and on top of that a lot of nodes combined on a single downstream port at the CMTS.

comcast head-end techs just recently resolved a months long issue with my node where it was combined with 5 other nodes at the CMTS, causing that particular downstream port to be at 96+ percent capacity. Upstream was never an issue due to each node having its own dedicated upstream port at the CMTS.

CMoore2004
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Jonesville, MI
reply to CMoore2004
It wouldn't have been so confusing if they just posted the speeds somewhere. Especially when they call to offer 50 Mbps. But at least I know now. Thanks!

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
reply to CMoore2004
I have a Arris TM722g emta. I only have 4 down loads and 2 upstream channels I my speed tier is 50 down and 10 up but I always around 60 down and a little over 11 up, @ channels can support 10 up.
--
Caddy