Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

[General] Nationwide Downtime?

Ny Home Fusion has been down more than 48 hours; cantenna says no signal. Just got off the phone with tech support, who read to me a bulletin stating HF users may experience an extended outage due to unspecified maintenance work. No ETR, but their computers are supposed to detect how many hours that service was not available, and adjust individual billing accordingly

//greg//
--
Former DirecPC/Direcway/HughesNet customer and forum participant since 2001

chris92

join:2008-09-20
Coal Valley, IL
Interesting, Yesterday around 3pm to at least 7pm CST I would get an LTE signal, but any webpage would give me a 504 Gateway timeout. Happened to my friend's iPhone 4 on 3G too. It was working after 10pm though

adminvzw

@myvzw.com
reply to grohgreg
My HF never went down and still up.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY
Quite possibly I was fed a line of crap. Mine's down hard five days now. Cantenna green on the network side, slow blinking red on the tower side. Router slow blinking orange 4G/LTE light. Saw no point in trying to get it fixed over the holiday weekend, using my iPhone as a hotspot instead. Will dump this back on Verizon this morning.

//greg//
--

adminvzw

@myvzw.com
I would cause HF isn't down nationwide, never was lol.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY
You'd best have a heart to heart with your Home Fusion phone techs then. The guy I talked to would not submit a trouble ticket because of this maintenance downtime I mentioned in the opening post. He told me if it was still down after the long weekend, call back and he'd see if the notice had expired. And for the record, I'm still down since last Thursday. Tried to get through to Home Fusion tech support again yesterday, but there were just too many callers backed up. After burning up too many cell phone minutes, I just gave up. Going to try again today.

//greg//
--

tdumaine
Premium
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA
said by grohgreg:

You'd best have a heart to heart with your Home Fusion phone techs then. The guy I talked to would not submit a trouble ticket because of this maintenance downtime I mentioned in the opening post. He told me if it was still down after the long weekend, call back and he'd see if the notice had expired. And for the record, I'm still down since last Thursday. Tried to get through to Home Fusion tech support again yesterday, but there were just too many callers backed up. After burning up too many cell phone minutes, I just gave up. Going to try again today.

//greg//

no heart to heart needed, more betting "your" tech overstated. HF is NOT down nationwide

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY
You're overstating. The topic is "downtime", not outage. And the opening words clarified "HF users may experience an extended outage due to unspecified maintenance work". Nevertheless, I remain down, but finally got through to HF tech support. Looks like I can expect another 3-5 (working) days of personal outage before anybody shows up.

//greg//
--

tdumaine
Premium
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA
said by grohgreg:

You're overstating. The topic is "downtime", not outage. And the opening words clarified "HF users may experience an extended outage due to unspecified maintenance work". Nevertheless, I remain down, but finally got through to HF tech support. Looks like I can expect another 3-5 (working) days of personal outage before anybody shows up.

//greg//

Downtime, outage, same thing, and you titled it nationwide

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY
No, there's a difference. In the world of telecommunications, the word "downtime" is associated with scheduled maintenance. "Outage" is what occurs (a) when service is denied because of downtime, or (b) following some kind of hardware/software failure. The bulletin referred to in the opening post notified phone techs of potential service interruptions during a nationwide 4G scheduled maintenance.

But semantics aside, I think mine is no more complicated than a failed cantenna. It's mounted on white vinyl siding and is fully exposed to extreme re-radiated heat from the afternoon sun. The entire week leading up to the "failure" saw air temps around 100F. When bounced off vinyl and into a cantenna only inches away, the temperature is intensified. It was 103F last Thursday. My HF was working in the morning, but failed in the afternoon. Might be a coincidental failure, but ya gotta admit the circumstances look heat-related.

//greg//
--

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY
reply to grohgreg
Took nearly two weeks to get a tech here, but the problem was indeed the cantenna. First installer was apparently a cowboy; lots of non-standard hardware and shoddy installation techniques that potentially led to cantenna failure. With the exception of one cable segment (between the grounding block and the power inserter) and the modem/router, literally everything else was torn out and replaced with new. Initial installer was here and gone in maybe 30 minutes, repair installer was here the best part of three hours.

//greg//
--

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1
reply to grohgreg
Glad it's working now for you. I hope you report the person that helped you and said there was an outage.
--
Are YOU just a turkey voting for xmas?

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY
reply to grohgreg
Forgot to include that the speed test app on my iPad subsequently yielded
Test Date: September 11, 2013, 11:00:46 CDT
Ping Time: 78 ms
Download Rate: 27.64 Mbps
Upload Rate: 16.19 Mbps