spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MMAOmegaRED

join:2007-10-30

[Cable] Shady Rogers tech in Ottawa

I saw another thread about Rogers techs disconnecting an Ottawa customer so I thought I'd share this story from this summer.

A Rogers tech came to my building and cut 4 of the cables in the buildings box. 3 of those lines were Rogers customers I was the only TS line cut. My building super showed me the lines it was clearly deliberate. I had no internet for over a week and it was infuriating when I had that same tech in question 9 days later in my living room acting like he just saved the day. This guy was a real scum bag and told me how his buds scam Rogers and gave me his name and a number to call to partake. I was so drained from dealing with phone support day after day and my anger was spent otherwise I would have screamed at him. My super told me a couple of days later he was the same tech seen the morning my line was cut making me regret not taking action.

kanatamike

join:2013-07-19
Kanata, ON
kudos:1
Nothing is stopping you from taking action now. They'll know who was sent out to your apartment that day.

MMAOmegaRED

My building super was convinced not much would come of this but he did report it to Rogers and I could clearly see on his work order that it mentioned a tech cut the lines. I also notified TS support.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
You or your super can make a complaint to the Executive office in writing and they will definitely investigate.

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans

join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bright House
reply to MMAOmegaRED
If you can find solid proof, then this falls right under mischief in the criminal code(s.430). Several parts of that same law cover different areas, but it all comes down to blocking, or removing the lawful enjoyment of property, access to, or blocking data.

JohnYYC25

join:2011-01-26
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

reply to MMAOmegaRED
Seems the day has come when we need to have surveillance cameras watching our demarc points. Pretty sad if you ask me.

xdrag

join:2005-02-18
North York, ON
reply to MMAOmegaRED
said by MMAOmegaRED:

My building super was convinced not much would come of this but he did report it to Rogers and I could clearly see on his work order that it mentioned a tech cut the lines. I also notified TS support.

I think you should have taken action sooner. This might be happening elsewhere outside your building as well.

These guys are probably contracted techs. They cut some lines, the customers call rogers to report an issue and the tech get work orders to fix the same lines he cut.

It's probably happening around the area. Especially since you're a TSI customer, it'll be harder for you to get support unless you also have cable TV. Another day maybe he'll stop cutting lines but mess with cable signals or add a bad splitter. Tougher to catch then..

definitely some criminal activity. don't turn a blind eye to criminals, they come back to bite you. (think spiderman and uncle bob)

we all hate rogers for one reason or another but this isn't right..

Take some pictures of the lines. It's very hard to gain access into a building's cable lines unless they know what they are doing. Most of the time, it's locked.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
the more likely scenario is that there was a work order from Rogers to disconnect the line or that the wrong one got cut. they actually just cut the lines too and not just unscrew them.

MMAOmegaRED

No, in my building Rogers puts a locking cap on apartments which have no service. The cut lines were done in a deliberate manner because no attempt was made to reconnect them. There were spare cables in the room which made it easier to fix. Of the 4 apartments affected 2 techs were dispatched I'd say mission accomplished for the scamming techs.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
reply to MMAOmegaRED
Sounds like a "make work project" lol

Easy fixes, easy money.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to jmck
This seems like a dumb solution... Eventually the line will become short enough where you can't just put a new F-connector on it to resume service
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
quote:
This seems like a dumb solution... Eventually the line will become short enough where you can't just put a new F-connector on it to resume service
F81 Baby yea

--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile

1 recommendation

Every connector you put on the cable creates an impedence discontinuity and a point of failure. The Barrel connector represents 2 discontinuities and 2 points of failure. Even though a connector is designed for 75 ohms, it usually is not as consistent as it might be across the connector. It causes signal reflections and therefore signal degradation in terms of level and signal to noise ratio.

So the goal SHOULD be as few connectors as possible ... but cable companies fail in that department!

coolspot18

join:2012-10-23
reply to MMAOmegaRED
Post his name and number!

trog

join:2001-03-25
Scarborough, ON
reply to MMAOmegaRED
Is there a possibility that the cables had not been correctly marked as being in use for a TPIA connector, and he was merely following up on an audit of attached cables vs cables flagged as actually being in use?

humanfilth

join:2013-02-14
cyber gutter
reply to MMAOmegaRED
File a police report via the police fraud squad. Consider it a malicious act(you say it shows to be deliberate), as if someone came along side a house and cut the telco/cableco/fiber service lines.
Demand restitution along with the charge as that may encourage the police to actually do something about it and not just tell you to go away as its outside your unit, even though it is in a secure building that your unit floats in.
Just a note: There are people who will do some type of damage(that they get to respond to) in order to access a unit/home to case the joint for nefarious deeds.

Reminds me of this thread on redflagdeals.
»forums.redflagdeals.com/bell-tec···1323061/
The building is 100% 'contracted' to Rogers(which can be deemed predatory services as you have zero choice on a Telco provided line) and someone cut all the Telco(cat6) lines in the basement that go to the units.
Link to the pictures post.
»forums.redflagdeals.com/bell-tec···16609217
--
Knowledge and curiosity are not crimes and those who are curious should not be treated like criminals.. »www.eff.org/https-everywhere

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
Wow just Wow at the pic's
Repositioned here from there for oompth.

Sure do look nasty.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Inssomniak
Then where would you cut the line? Before or after the F81?

If before, evenually, you are going to still run out of cable, if after, a new coax cable by anybody (no new end required) would go between the F81 and the "tap" post
--

csampson

join:2013-09-01
reply to MMAOmegaRED
OP where about in Ottawa are you if you don't mind me asking? My line suddenly went dark and I'm getting no signal to modem. There was a new installation the same time to my neighbor across from me. The paranoia is creeping in...

TSI Jonathan
Premium
join:2011-08-24
canada
kudos:10
Our pattern tracker currently shows that we have 4 RF tickets open for Orleans (1810 St.Laurent POI). We are investigating and will be submitting a master ticket as soon as we have enough to send it.

csampson

Do you need a certain amount of requests before you can send out a ticket to get a tech in the area?

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
reply to MMAOmegaRED
Rogers does these things ... they get called different things like "Area Tickets", "Master Tickets" ... as more customers report the same problem in the same area, they get added to the Master Ticket instead of a new ticket created.

Essentially it means if a group of customers in a given area are out, then a higher priority is assigned ... the more out the greater the priority.

csampson

Thanks for the explanation .

btech805

join:2013-08-01
Greely, ON
kudos:11
reply to MMAOmegaRED
Most rogers techs are contracted and are paid by the job, ive seen this a few times, and if they aren't cutting their own lines to get more work orders, then they're cutting bell entry lines at houses or pulling jumpers on the riser cables in apartment buildings. Simple fixes for us bell techs but just something that should never happen
--
My opinions are my own and do not represent the opinions or wishes of BCE or any of it's subsidiaries.

csampson

reply to MMAOmegaRED
I've been without internet for a week now. My buddy who I recommended TS to just lost his modem signal yesterday. He sends me a picture of him holding cut cables outside his box. Do we need to set up security cameras at this point? This whole situation is disgusting.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Might have a slightly better chance of catching the person... Especially if they are also a cable-tech
--

rodjames
Premium
join:2010-06-19
Gloucester, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·loclhost.ca
reply to MMAOmegaRED
Click for full size
Click for full size
DSL is just as bad. Here's the Bell pillar here on my complex:

youneedhelp

@bell.ca
this used to happen all the time in quebec with videotron and bell. remember you do NOT own those wires/nor does the company that would cut them but legally this goes nowhere. but at some point they stopped cutting bell/cable wires when they hooked up the other service. i think they agreed to kiss and make up at some point but it was common for a while many years ago