Premium
join:2000-06-19
Dayton, OH

Gravity

Looks like it might be one to watch...

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufsrgE0B···embedded

»www.imdb.com/title/tt1454468/
--
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarfs aren't happy.

TigerLord
For Value Received
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
Each time I see the trailer at the movie theater I am amazed. It looks beautiful and thrilling. Will see.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to RonS
It kinda reminds me of his other space movie Solaris..
Meaning a cerebral type of flick. That might be interesting to watch.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to TigerLord
Trailers are mean to show the best of a movie/tv show. To draw you in to the movie/tv show.

There was one movie, which I don't recall the name, the best scenes of the movie PERIOID were in the trailer, the movie sucked ass bad.

In this case,I suspect a very weak story, with big stars will make it a draw.

Snakeoil, for a point of reference, Clooney was in that too.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

DoctorStinky

join:2011-11-10
Brunswick, ME
Reviews:
·voip.ms
You do realize this was written, directed and produced by Alfonso Cuarón, the guy that brought us "Children of Men?" I find it hard to believe that it will be "weak" by any stretch of the imagination.

The 2nd trailer (shown at ComiCon):

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4coTNta-YA

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to RonS
The trailer definitely looks good.
But where do they go from where the trailers leave off?
Rescue mission? Astronauts talking about life until they die?

I read a short story by Bradbury called Kaleidoscope where astronauts are in a similar situation and it wasn't that exciting. It was an interesting read, but not exciting, not movie material.

»www.scaryforkids.com/kaleidoscop···radbury/

I don't know what's going to happen in the movie after they separate, but I hope it's different than Bradbury's story.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to DoctorStinky
NM

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:4
reply to Rook008
The previews likely played out like Flight where the action of the movie was in the previews and then the rest was the drama/suspense. I think it is obvious that it isn't an action movie, so I don"t know what we would be expect from the preview for action, I'm betting they don't want to spoil any plot points.

DoctorStinky

Brunswick, ME
reply to RonS
The reviews from the Venice Film Festival are virtually all highly positive. This one's a must-see for me.

lotusracer
Premium
join:1999-11-26
Moline, IL
reply to RonS
yes, the trailer has me eager to see it, partially because they have me wondering where it goes/how it ends
--
Humanity - The greatest natural disaster of all time.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to hitachi369
That's why I said, trailers are designed to show the best part of a movie/tv show, and draw you in.

Flight looked great in the previews and ended up dealing with a drunk Denzil Washington.

Good movie just the same,but not what the trailers offered.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to lotusracer
They launch a rescue shuttle and save them all.

There saved your 10 bucks or more

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
I would still see it; I watched Apollo 13 knowing how it ended but was still riveted by the story telling. But I'm kind of a sucker for space stories.

lotusracer
Premium
Moline, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom

1 edit
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

They launch a rescue shuttle and save them all.

There saved your 10 bucks or more

perhaps a non-organic being called the Seeker will show up and take her back in time 5 years???

Oh yea... and first run movies can be seen around here in a nice theater for only $5.

--

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to hitachi369
Same here, but I'll probably wait for the DVD on this one.
That probably has more to do with me hating to actually go to the movies though.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to lotusracer
5 bucks for first run movies is pretty damn good.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to Rook008
I'll just wait for it to be available on my streaming services.
'coz I'm cheap like that. Rear window captioning still sucks.

lotusracer
Premium
Moline, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

$5 all day and all night on Tuesdays... or any other day before Noon. you don't even have to be a senior citizen. Of course, IMAX or 3D is at a higher, but still reduced fee.
--

RonS
Madm0nke
Premium
join:2000-06-19
Dayton, OH
reply to RonS
We usually go the first Sunday before noon after they are released to see the for $5. Hardly anyone in the theater so we get the good seats so we can prop our feet up on the railing.
--
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarfs aren't happy.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Flight looked great in the previews and ended up dealing with a drunk Denzil Washington.

I haven't seen the movie yet but some trailer at some point I saw made it pretty clear that that's what the movie was about...
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Wow, that's cheap. Around here it's still at least $10 no matter what time I go.
--

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
reply to RonS
2 of my least favorite actors.........think I'll pass.

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
join:1999-05-28
kudos:15
Reviews:
·iiNet

2 recommendations

reply to RonS
I'm surprised the "Sci-fi" forum is blase about this movie it looks awesome the reviews are all highly positive. Suspend your disbelief - it looks like one of those rare films to see at an imax screen rather than streamed or on dvd. What is not to like?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
said by justin:

I'm surprised the "Sci-fi" forum is blase about this movie it looks awesome the reviews are all highly positive. Suspend your disbelief - it looks like one of those rare films to see at an imax screen rather than streamed or on dvd. What is not to like?

Perhaps because people want science fiction and not science drama?
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
join:1999-05-28
kudos:15
Reviews:
·iiNet
Well I haven't seen it yet.
But 9 out of 10 sci-fi movies tend to be rubbish for a range of reasons. I think this is going to be considerably better than the 2013 competition such as World War Z, Riddick, Iron Man 3, Elysium, Oblivion, Pacific Rim, etc etc.

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to justin
said by justin:

It looks good, definitely something best viewed in a good theater. Some denizens of this forum might not be fans of Clooney and/or Bullock.
--
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

DoctorStinky

Brunswick, ME
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

said by justin:

Perhaps because people want science fiction and not science drama?

Sounds like a difference without distinction to me. All Science Fiction is drama to one extent or another. Star Trek in all of its incarnations was really nothing more than personal drama in a futuristic setting. Gravity isn't even futuristic, but is still heavily science-oriented.

Was "Children of Men" drama? That was Alfonso Cuaron's previous effort, set in the future, and very dramatic. An outstanding film, too, and did quite well at the box office.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to SixOfNine
I'm actually a fan of both Clooney (great actor) and Bullock (great actor and perpetually cute) but great special effects aren't getting me into the theater.
Movies with great special effects and a large-scale sci-fi plot (Ender's Game?) and a great story might get me there though.
From what I hear the story in Gravity is very good though, so I'll definitely check it out on Blu-Ray when it comes out.

Basically, I don't much like going to the theater.
--

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to RonS
I'm seeing this Monday in IMAX 3D - I can't wait to see how the zero-g effects look in all their wide screen glory

BTW if anyone books on Fandango, google around for a 16 digit "AMC Stubs" numbers and save the $2 Fandango fee. Here's a number I found that currently works; 1104000000292949 just cut & paste that down the middle of the checkout screen. I suggest using paypal so there is no association between you and that stub number account holder.

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

3 edits
reply to RonS
I saw Gravity last night in 3d imax real sound and got a great seat dead center theatre. most who notice my writing here know I'm usually the last guy to pay to see a movie, but i did it here without hesitation.

try to see this on the most bad-ass theatre you can. there is not much story here as it's all about displaying the amazing zero-g staging with no noticeable CGI so the physics and acting you see are seamless and amazing. unlike other 3d movies, this one uses it where suitable, not as an intentional gimmick. this movie is very life affirming without getting corny or preachy.

my only criticism was how loose object behaved inside vehicles during times of sudden thrust, or sudden loss of air pressure when hatches are opened into space - for a film called gravity, they sort of ignore relative momentum when ever they don't have time for the movie to deal with it. there were a few other "physics in zero-g" issues the story line depended on that i didn't think were plausible in reality, but since I'm no expert on the subject I'll let them go for now.

here is a discussion about some movie physics flaws;
»www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProg···ent_the/

BTW they showed what appeared to be a 3d 48fps 4K version of the next Hobbit movie - eye popping - i wish they would have replayed it 10 times - you ain't seen nothing yet...