spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dave0831

@telus.com

[Cable] About the Thursday outage

Woodbine/Gerrard M4L, offline since Thursday AM.

About this ongoing Teksavvy problem… Is there any consensus about what the problem actually is? I thought this was due to some kind of event on Thursday morning, i.e. a cable being cut.

I'm also hearing a lot of talk about DHCP and/or provisioning issues, some of which sounds like what was happening to some people over the past few weeks, going back to August 17 or so.

Are the customers who have been out since Thursday now in the same situation as customers who have been out much longer? And might we have to wait weeks for a solution?

Is this affecting only Teksavvy customers, or are Rogers customers affected as well?

Cheers.

Euphor1a

join:2013-08-29
Toronto, ON

I'm in the M4E area, and have been offline since Thursday AM as well. It's my understanding that this is a Teksavvy problem only - I live above a store that has Rogers, and know others in the area that are with Rogers who have had 0 problems.

I've been having similar issues to others - getting DHCP errors in the modem diagnostics. Put in a ticket with tech support over the phone.. (btw, the person at TS that I talked with was very personable and helpful.) Not sure how much longer we'll be out for - doesn't seem like Rogers is bothering to give TS any ETA on when it will be fixed. Both TS and Rogers are likely swamped with requests as it's a busy time of year.

Just being curious yesterday I called up Rogers to ask about their TS-comparable plan of 300GB/mo for $45. They were willing to offer it to me no problem (of course). The earliest date they would give me for activation was Wednesday or Thursday. We're going to wait and see if the issues are fixed by then.. we'll see. I work from home and need to be online ASAP.. but going back to Rogers would be my absolute last resort.

Jeffito

join:2013-09-01
East York, ON

Yeah I work from home a lot as well, so if this is not resolved by Monday I will need to make a move. Just curious when you spoke to Rogers did you need to sign up for a 1 year contract for the 300GB/mo for $45 plan?

Euphor1a

join:2013-08-29
Toronto, ON

It's no contract, and a free modem. $14.99 activation fee. Quite an enticing deal, but if they couldn't even get it activated for me until late next week I thought what's the point.. I'd rather be a TS customer.

Merckx

reply to Euphor1a

I'm at woodbine and Danforth, M4C. I've had no Internet since Thursday morning as well. My girlfriend works from home and is pissed. Rogers is looking more and more tempting everyday. I hate Rogers but I hate having to justify sticking with TS to prove a point to Rogers to a pissed off girlfriend more

Jeffito

East York, ON

Merckx - I am Danforth and Donlands (M4J)... I don't want to switch back, but may have too. Would rather be TS.

kyrio
LURK MORE

join:2010-03-24
East York, ON
reply to dave0831

If you decide to switch to Rogers, instead of going with Start or another 3rd party ISP, I suggest you don't tell them you're on 300GB. Tell them you're unlimited for $45 and you might even want to say you're getting one of the higher bandwidths.

It's obvious that Rogers' staff knows very well about what's going on and that these delays are to get people to leave TekSavvy. They have been bringing in TSI customers by giving them their current prices and plans--something that you hadn't really heard of (with such ease and quantity) until this last month.

One other note: if you do decide to join Rogers, the joke's on. They can increase your prices or change your plan at any time.

johnchiu

@allstream.net
reply to Merckx

I am in the same area. I just switched. A much as I like TSI, I just can't justify having no internet service at home.

But I also filed a complaint to crtc about the dirty business practice of Rogers in this episode. I would suggest you do the and thing too whether you are going to switch or not.

xdrag

join:2005-02-18
North York, ON

said by johnchiu :

I am in the same area. I just switched. A much as I like TSI, I just can't justify having no internet service at home.

But I also filed a complaint to crtc about the dirty business practice of Rogers in this episode. I would suggest you do the and thing too whether you are going to switch or not.

It's unfortunate that TSI has to lose customer because they are bootstrapped to Roger's issues.

However, you are educated on the issue and it's the freedom of competition. This will also help TSI grow and realize they need a plan B incase rogers pulls off another one.

It does very suck to go days without internet and no ETA available. the feeling of disconnect and hopelessness. Hopefully you'll be back someday.

dave0831

@telus.com
reply to dave0831

So getting back to my original post ... is there any sense of whether this is a problem of a couple of days going back to Thursday, or are we in the same boat as the customers who have been down for a couple of weeks, with no end in sight?

Chops8

join:2008-04-03
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by dave0831 :

So getting back to my original post ... is there any sense of whether this is a problem of a couple of days going back to Thursday, or are we in the same boat as the customers who have been down for a couple of weeks, with no end in sight?

This right here... I've made posts as well as others about what the hell is going on in the M4E and extended area, basically the entire beaches and maybe a bit beyond are completely without service, AND NOT ONE REPLY FROM TSi about what's causing this. When I first got on the forum I'm reading horror stories of 15+ days offline? That's insane.

First I thought this was the line cut but no, DHCP maybe? Comstock POI? I have no idea but calling is futile (albeit your staff are friendly under the circumstances).

Honestly the fault doesn't matter at this point, a reliable connect does. The rogers offer I got over the phone is for $45/300GB (and it sounds like unlimited might be possible) is enticing because I can be online before the end of the week. There's no ETA from TSi which is a problem.

I hate to say this but I've been a customer for 8+ years and my loyalty has only gone this deep with one other brand, Fido. It would seriously suck to 'break-up' after our history.

Wednesday rogers gets a call and a new customer unfortunately. One week without internet is about all this modern co-worker can handle.

johnchiu

@allstream.net

I actually talked to the technical support. The entire beaches is with The Comstock POI. That POI arrested having problem since Thursday morning, and it coincided with the time my internet went down. As you have known, there is no ETA. This doesn't give me any confidence and there I switched. I got the 45$ deal with Rogers. Not that I am happy with them. But I have to be sure about having internet at gone. .

Chops8

Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by johnchiu :

I actually talked to the technical support. The entire beaches is with The Comstock POI... As you have known, there is no ETA. This doesn't give me any confidence and there I switched.

Ugh, that sinking feeling in your stomach when your fears come true. Based on reading the forums the POI issues have some crazy outages currently and I can't stick around (to fight the good fight).

said by johnchiu :

I got the 45$ deal with Rogers. Not that I am happy with them. But I have to be sure about having internet.

Another pit in my stomach at the thought of going to rogers but there seems to be no choice in the matter for beaches residents. I know of several other friends in the area trying to stick it out but I think it best I deliver the bad news today over a pint and mention they should switch if they want service anytime soon.

Ugh...

Chops8

Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to kyrio

said by kyrio:

One other note: if you do decide to join Rogers, the joke's on. They can increase your prices or change your plan at any time.

You can and should negotiate a rate lock-in for a year if possible. I've heard it done and it's in your best interest to do so based on the rate increase they've pulled lately. Look at the rate increase as insurance - if there is a next time (with the POI issue), you won't be affected.

The amount of personal time invested in the problem right now is just not worth it. Even if I'm paying $10 more a month in a few years for the same service it's nice to know that you're not on an underserved, under-supported incumbent line.

I've heard rumours the POI issue is a TS problem and while it may be rogers dragging their feet with support, could this not have been avoided? Could customers of an affected area not get first rate support from TS throughout the downtime. At the very least a callback when requested should be basic level of support but even that's not possible.

Venting, frustrated...

xdrag

join:2005-02-18
North York, ON

1 edit
reply to dave0831

True, but that's also the double edged sword of a contract. The reason why you can switch freely now is because you're not obligated to stay.

If you sign a 1 year contract and Rogers has a major downtime, you're stuck. You may also want to switch to another provider for a reason. (Bell/Telus/start) So there's always pros and cons.

Rates may stay the same but you have a contract. Even with a contract, Rogers can still raise their rates. I remember having cable TV and they raised rates even though I had a contract. I believe at that instance, you can call the manager and negotiate on the termination of your contract.

no ISP is perfect unfortunately. I believe beanfield FTTH is quite up there but only offered to a very select buildings in the core.

dave0831

@teksavvy.com
reply to dave0831

Woodbine/Gerrard M4L back up as of 7pm Wednesday.