spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jangona
join:2001-07-27
Boynton Beach, FL

jangona

Outdoor internet antenna

I've got 2 houses on a piece of property about 1 1/2 acres, houses on diagonal opposites of property. One house has cable internet, with Linksys router. I need to get the signal wireless to the 2nd house. Someone suggested an outdoor antenna, but I'm not sure what I need exactly.

I want the signal to be reliable, but don't need to spend more than necessary to do it.
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen

Premium Member

For starters, you'll need a clear line of sight (window to window preferably) between the 2 dwellings. Then you'll need two GOOD wireless routers/bridges to setup near each window. The latter may also require cat5 ethernet connections back to wherever you want to use the internet connection.

There are many different kinds of external antennas that can be sourced in order to provide the wireless link between the buildings.
jangona
join:2001-07-27
Boynton Beach, FL

jangona

I've got a clear line of sight, that's no problem, and i have good Cisco routers in the first house (1 on each floor, hard-wired) because the house has steel between the floors.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

billaustin to jangona

MVM

to jangona
There are a lot of threads discussing what you want to do.

I would start here: »www.ubnt.com/airmax#airM ··· Hardware
A couple 5ghz Nanostations should do the trick.

atcotr
@rr.com

atcotr

Anon

I recommend a pair of 5GHz Nanostations as well. Plus an access point for the second house. Any $50 wireless router that isn't Belkin, Netgear, or D-Link will do for that. I say 5GHz for the bridge because that way the wireless routers on the ends won't have to compete for 2.4GHz channel time. The distance between the houses is relatively short for this product, so make sure to set the transmit power on both to minimum and adjust up from there.