how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Delta

join:2010-08-15
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

Any alternative to dropbox for online storage?

Is there any free cloud base storage that does not expire after a year? I currently use dropbox but all my bonus storage will expire soon, and I will be back to the basic 2GB limit.

I don't need something fancy, just a free storage that allow me store large file for sharing on the net

DSA

join:2013-04-27
Brantford, ON

I use copy, 15GB free.
»www.copy.com/browse/copy/

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Delta

Theres a bunch of stuff on fiverr.

Kind of sounds funny but it apparently works.

Google Drive, Box, etc.

--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

McArthur

@leaseweb.com

1 edit
reply to Delta

I too started with DropBox but 2GB just isn't enough for my need. You can increase that limit with referal and if you own a samsung phone, but the bonus storage will expire after a year so I suggest you try COPY.

Copy Starts you out with 15GB and if you use a referral link you and I both get an additional 5GB, making your initial free space 20GB.

You must also install the Copy app either to your PC or android device, even to your phone, to get the additional 5GB otherwise the bonus will not be added. During installation you can specify a folder you want to synch online and any file you drop in there will be available online.

If you choose to register using the URL bellow, you will help me increase my limit further by 5GB and it does not expire

COPY REFERRAL LINK : [referral link removed »Site FAQ »What are the Rules on Posting? ]

One Trick I noticed that makes my life easier, is that I don't need to copy my entire collection to that folder, I can simply create a shortcut to my collection and drop the shortcut inside the COPY folder in my PC and the collection gets synchronized automatically.

I only made a couple of referral and I was able to reach 40Gb very easily which is enough for me.

The app itself is very small and unobtrusive, and allow you to turn off the "start at boot". I suggest you do that in the settings so you only start it when you choose to do a manual sync, which is when you add more files to your collection

enzymes

join:2003-11-29
Brampton, ON
reply to Delta

Try mega.co.nz

50GB and free. »mega.co.nz/

BrianON

join:2011-09-30
Ottawa, ON
reply to Delta

New Microsoft SkyDrive accounts offer 7GB. Was a period where older accounts could opt in for 25GB of storage which is what I did.

MikeyPC

join:2013-07-17
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Delta

I went with Google Drive. Bought myself a chromebook, got an extra 100GB and then returned it So I now have 125GB on my Google account.

I didn't return it because i just wanted extra storage, it didn't suit my needs.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2
reply to BrianON

Best I've found so far. Unlimited and no BS:
»www.sendspace.com/

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:12
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Delta

I hate cloud storage products that do automatic syncing. I've lost a major file because I deleted a file on a tablet that was taking up too much space ... so, it deleted it from my PeeCee too!

I like the idea of offsite online storage ... but I want to have control of it!

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:24
reply to Delta

Google Drive

Delta

Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

1 edit
reply to Delta

Thanks for all the reply!

I just tried COPY myself and it seems to do the job, got 15GB from start. I sent a referral to my girlfriend for another extra 5GB.

I installed the Synch utility to get the bonus and then disabled it in the settings, so it will only synch when I want.

Anyone interested you can use the link bellow ..and we will both get another 5GB bonus

»www1.copy.com/home/

[mod note referral code removed »Site FAQ »What are the Rules on Posting? ]

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:12
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

Thanks for the info on being able to disable sync! That makes it a whole lot more useful. It's one thing to share files between a system with a terabyte and a tablet with 16 Gig total through an online repository ... it's another totally to sync them!

kingb71

join:2000-10-09
Mississauga, ON

1 edit
reply to Delta

There's spider oak which is encrypted & secure: »spideroak.com/signup/

[mod note -- referral link removed »Site FAQ »What are the Rules on Posting? ]

JohnYYC25

join:2011-01-26
Calgary, AB
reply to Delta

You could get a cheap VPS from DigitalOcean and install ownCloud on it.

I myself use dropbox for a few documents and CloudStation on my Synology NAS for everything else.

Delta

Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

1 edit
reply to sbrook

I found at least two ways to disable the sync: 1) From inside the Copyagent utiliy, either unselect "start copy when I log into this computer", or 2) simply log off altogether from inside the copy synch utility window, and synch will not occur until you manually re-enter your login credential and password.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
reply to Delta

General post....

Don't post individual referrals links to your preferred free service.

It's a great way to lose posting abilities in the future.

Pharos

@ccc.de
reply to Delta

I got 3 accounts with 200GB each from box.com on a referral promotion early on, all still free now. However, I expect they may be cutting me off one of these day as I probably use a lot of bandwidth, its nice that they still keep me on though. For work, I use amazon and ovh, as a bonus they offer a lot of finer grained options in regard to how you make deployments and carry out cdn optimization.

But mega.co.nz is probably your best option right now with 50GB free, there are still some browser compatibility issues but that will be soon ironed out I believe. Also, api access is already available, and there's many app already being baked out. I'm actually working on making a small command line utility to easily sync/upload/backup different files or entire directory trees for myself using mega.co.nz. Their strategy of appealing to cloud storage providers, whether small or big, is a very compelling one.

MaynardKrebs
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

3 recommendations

reply to Delta

said by Delta:

Is there any free cloud base storage that does not expire after a year?

www.nsa.gov

javierg9

join:2011-09-21
Toronto, ON
reply to Delta

Dropbox is a stable, mature system that simply works. Pay the $100/year for the extra 100 GB (or if you prefer only $9.99 per month) - your data is worth it

d0rhk

join:2008-07-17
reply to Delta

How has no one mentioned BitCasa?

Unlimited storage for $100/yr or something silly.

I use it and it's legit. Over 1TB on it at the moment.

spock

join:2012-07-08
reply to Delta

I heard from a buddy at work that the NSA is starting a new cloud service soon called "iPrivacy?" Supposedly you get 1TB of free space and a free rectal exam.

myriad007

join:2002-03-02
Scarborough, ON
reply to Delta

Amazon AWS & Gladinet Cloud Desktop. Though I pay for 150GB of Dropbox storage also.

MJB

join:2012-01-29

a raid external hard drive... cloud sucks can be hacked

Cubytus

join:2007-08-24
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Vonage

I have tried a few.

Mega is a piece of crap (like any DDL). No clients are available, doesn't support resume, so if you lose connection during a large transfer, you have to restart from zero.

SpiderOak: I am subscribed to the 100GB. I got 30 additional GBs due to various malfunctions. Currently, it has been 6 months without being able to sync. Their support department is clueless about the issue. They gave me an additional free year, but it won't be of much use if it cannot sync.

ownCloud: seemed interesting, but very tricky to get working right. Use patience and a lot of their forums.

I would avoid Dropbox as all your documents are stored in plain text, and even worse, is on US soil. Same goes with Google, and they also build a profile of you. Talk about privacy.

The least bad of them all is still ownCloud, but you have to find your own online storage.

kevinds

join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:2

ownCloud is neat, as long as you have a server to host it on, and knowledge to do it

Finding a place hosting ownCloud for you instead, has the same issues as all the other services.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

Cubytus

join:2007-08-24

Well at least you can choose a server that won't be located on US soil!

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:22
reply to Delta

Dropbox does not store data in plaintext, it's encrypted. Dropbox still has the keys, though, so that doesn't protect against the NSA.

Dropbox's bonus storage space never expires (there is no one year limit).
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.2 released!

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by Guspaz:

Dropbox's bonus storage space never expires (there is no one year limit).

That'd be the referral bonus storage. The bonus storage you get for buying a Samsung device lasts for a year. I just dropped from 102gb to 52gb.
--
Tom

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:22
reply to Delta

Not just the referral bonuses, but any other bonus, be it for things like dropquest, or other achievements.

The Samsung storage is more like a promotional free trial of the pro service, isn't it?
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.2 released!

oceros

join:2013-07-20
St Thomas, ON
reply to Delta

is there any local network versions of this type of software - for windows - that are staying LAN only?

i just shove stuff to a network share but a lan-only dropbox might have its uses