uniqs
share rss forum feed

WarningU2
Premium
join:2002-10-27
Burlington, ON

1 edit

[INTERNET] Router Recommendations / Poll

I'm just curious about what router would be recommended by the folks that inhabit this forum (who I consider very technically savvy).

I currently have a Dlink Dir-655 that has been reasonably good for the last 5 yrs but lately it has started dropping and requiring numerous resets.

Getting a replacement is a daunting prospect. I've researched and it seems that a Linksys EA4500 is well reviewed but then there are others that say its throughput is limited. DLink seems to be panned by most.

I have a bridge (DAP 1522) near my TV and receiver for internet access also from DLink which provides one button setup to the Dir-655 so I'm not sure how it will work with a Linksys router.

I was just curious what is the router preferred by the folks on this forum ? I am currently using a Arris TM822 modem from Cogeco.

MrPink

join:2003-08-15
Peterborough, ON

I have had this router for ~6 months now. Bulletproof performance. No drops, excellent coverage, ac capable and a snap to set up. Would recommend.

»www.legitreviews.com/asus-rt-ac6···iew_2207

Jackorama

join:2008-05-23
Kingston, ON
reply to WarningU2

Sorry, can't be of help because I have the Arris TG862 modem/router combo.

I noticed today that the wireless connection speed would be jumping back and forth between 29.0 Mbps to 58.0 Mbps on my laptop, but I was downloading fast and using the net with no problems. Other than that the Arris TG862 seems to be doing what I want it to do so far.

Can't complain, cheaper price and faster speeds then what I was getting with Bell. Well...maybe just that I think you should not have to pay the $2.95 a month to have a wireless connection with Cogeco. But, still can't complain with cheaper and faster service.
--
"Whenever they invent something that's moron proof, someone comes by and invents a better moron."

"Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?"

"Those of you who think you know everything are annoying those of us who do."

jmarlatt2

join:2006-09-20
Chatham, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to WarningU2

Would highly recommend an asus rt-n66u or the ac version loaded with Merlin's custom firmware. Rock solid and haven't had to reboot in months other than firmware upgrades.

29 devices connected at my house, 8 by wire and the rest are wifi. Solid router, upgraded from the dir-655 myself.

WarningU2
Premium
Burlington, ON
reply to WarningU2

thanks the asus router wasn't even on my radar and it is well reviewed.

Gixxer

join:2008-08-27
St Catharines, ON
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
·Bell Fibe
·Cogeco Cable
reply to WarningU2

+1 on this ASUS router as well, have one rocking at home and zero issues. Came from a DIR-655, which this router shits all over.

I also have a DAP 1522 and use it as a wireless bridge with the 66U, can't remeber if I manually confirmed it or used the button pushed which the router has.

To clarify I don't use the AC version, I took the risk and beta'd with the DIR-655 at draft and don't want to do it again with AC, not to mention AC getwork gear is retarded expensive. $100 for a network adapter vs. $10.

»www.canadacomputers.com/product_···d=044938

»ncix.com/products/?sku=68505&vpn···oid=1190

--
I love fish sticks. I love putting fish sticks in my mouth.

maxboha

join:2012-05-12
reply to WarningU2

Got two D link routers for covering my whole home (big house)

dir 827 + dir 845l

But for the price point, i would agree on the asus AC one

Max

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to WarningU2

said by WarningU2:

I currently have a Dlink Dir-655 that has been reasonably good for the last 5 yrs but lately it has started dropping and requiring numerous resets.

Have you updated the firmware and hard reset it to factory defaults, then reconfigured? And disabled all the crap that's turned on by default like the DNS hijacking?

Are you getting the dropouts on the repeating access point DAP-1522 or the host DIR-655?

said by WarningU2:

Getting a replacement is a daunting prospect. I've researched and it seems that a Linksys EA4500 is well reviewed but then there are others that say its throughput is limited. DLink seems to be panned by most.

First of all it's important to clarify what your priorities are. Signal reliability, signal strength, bells and whistles or speed in closer quarters?

If signal reliability and distance are key, I haven't seen a router that can get a better consistent signal strength on the 2.4 GHz. than the DIR-655. The EA4500 definitely won't beat it, I've compared those two.

For current day D-Link routers, they all share the same interface as the later firmware DIR-655's and the primary differences between the low cost DIR-826L and the higher cost units are additional features that most people don't use, like USB ports, media sharing, etc.

Since you have a repeater I'm assuming that distance is your issue so don't be sold on all the 5 GHz. BS as it's disrupted by walls and doesn't go as far as 2.4 GHz.

WarningU2
Premium
Burlington, ON
reply to WarningU2

Have you updated the firmware and hard reset it to factory defaults, then reconfigured? And disabled all the crap that's turned on by default like the DNS hijacking?
No ... well not for this issue. I have in the past disabled the extra features QOS and hijacking etc when I had issues. I haven't tried resetting back to factory defaults now because ... well I haven't changed anything on this setup in a long long time. I did reload a backup of the settings and there was no change. Still dropping yesterday. BUT ...

Its not dropping the connection today.

Are you getting the dropouts on the repeating access point DAP-1522 or the host DIR-655?
On the DIR655 ... showing a lot of packets lost on the wireless but from what I've been told that is likely due to congestion.

Today though it's not dropping. Wife reports her laptop is working just fine. And I have noted that while I was having these issues my Ultimate Pro 30 wasa upgraded to 10 MBPS up ... probably just a coincidence. Or ?

Since you have a repeater I'm assuming that distance is your issue so don't be sold on all the 5 GHz
Actually the DAP1522 is to provide Ethernet ports to the TV, receiver for internet radio. The dir655 router is solid for distance. Been in the far backyard a good 20 meters from the router (upstairs in my office) and I have had 3 bars. In the house its solid bars all the way to the basement.

Thanks for all the information on a router preference

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

There was a recent firmware update that resolves a number of security issues but who knows what other stuff it might resolve.

After a firmware update you should always do a hard factory reset and not load in a backup configuration. My suggestion is to give that update a go, complete a hard wipe and manual reconfiguration (also allowing you to re-evaluate your settings) and see if it helps.

dan991199

join:2007-10-01
St Catharines, ON
reply to WarningU2

if you can wait just a bit longer, i would STRONGLY suggest getting an almond+

it is going to blow away anything on the market currently.

video is here:
»www.kickstarter.com/projects/203···art-home

WarningU2
Premium
Burlington, ON
reply to urbanriot

I am currently running 1.32 NA - found there is a 1.37 update but when I applied it ... nothing happened. 1.32 NA is still showing.

Gixxer

St Catharines, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
·Bell Fibe
·Cogeco Cable

1 recommendation

reply to dan991199

said by dan991199:

if you can wait just a bit longer, i would STRONGLY suggest getting an almond+

it is going to blow away anything on the market currently.

video is here:
»www.kickstarter.com/projects/203···art-home

Looks like something a hipster would use, I'll pass.
--

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to WarningU2

said by WarningU2:

I am currently running 1.32 NA - found there is a 1.37 update but when I applied it ... nothing happened. 1.32 NA is still showing.

... try again? And do a hard reset to factory defaults (holding reset pin) or you could put in factory recovery mode and force it to take the 1.37.

gooner

join:2013-07-05
St Catharines, ON
reply to WarningU2

I'm using the Netgear WNDR3700 now. I have two computers (wired), a tablet and two phones (WiFi) connected to it, plus a USB drive. Seems to work fine without any issues.
I had the same D-Link router (not wireless) for close to 7 years and it did the trick, however from what I've read of newer wireless D-Link's, I wouldn't consider them again.

If I didn't get a Netgear, I would have gone for an Asus.

WarningU2
Premium
Burlington, ON
reply to WarningU2

Picking up the ASUS router tonight on my way home. Had to be reset again and even lost my connectivity hard wired this time too. Appears to be fine now but my back is getting sore having to bend over and unplug this darn thing every day or so. Figured out its just over 3 yrs old. Seems too short a time for a router to toss its cookies or is that normal for these things to start acting up?

WarningU2
Premium
Burlington, ON
reply to urbanriot

thanks urbanriot but I think I'm just going to get the asus and be done with it. The odd thing is that the systems options in admin of the router ... doesn't detect there is new firmware but if I look up the A version on the dlink site there is a 1.37 update. I'm presuming the update function doesn't work on the systems panel?

Ok so stupid questions ... never really thought about this but why A versions and B versions ... and if you are running A can you run B?

dan991199

St Catharines, ON
reply to Gixxer

wireless A/C
the power of a proper *nix based router/firewall with the same power consumption as a regular table top router...

don't be a contrarian just for the sake of being one....

Gixxer

St Catharines, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
·Bell Fibe
·Cogeco Cable
reply to WarningU2

said by WarningU2:

thanks urbanriot but I think I'm just going to get the asus and be done with it. The odd thing is that the systems options in admin of the router ... doesn't detect there is new firmware but if I look up the A version on the dlink site there is a 1.37 update. I'm presuming the update function doesn't work on the systems panel?

Ok so stupid questions ... never really thought about this but why A versions and B versions ... and if you are running A can you run B?

That's one of the main issues with the DIR-655, there's so many router revisions and firmware incompatibilities. The best thing I did was finally getting rid of it.
--

Gixxer

St Catharines, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
·Bell Fibe
·Cogeco Cable

1 edit
reply to dan991199

said by dan991199:

wireless A/C
the power of a proper *nix based router/firewall with the same power consumption as a regular table top router...

don't be a contrarian just for the sake of being one....

I'm not doubting what the router is capable of, it just seems that in order to own one I would need to also own a fixie, wayfarers, super tight jeans, plaid shirts and avoid everything mainstream as if it's bad or something.

The Dark Knight (Yes that's what the N66U is called) is proven, it works well in fact and it looks sexy.

Almond+, I have literally just heard of it yesterday and I'm not going to put my network in the hands of a start up. They tout exquisite design but their router looks like a spray painted cardboard box with holes punched into it. Maybe if it had a more elegant professional design I would take them seriously.
--

dan991199

St Catharines, ON

just because you've only just heard of them doesn't mean they are new. the almond has been around and has proven itself for a year now (rated #1 router on amazon). As for the worry that you need to be a hipster to use one, I would say you have much larger self confidence, and self perception issues you need to explore.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to WarningU2

said by WarningU2:

No, different hardware revisions require different firmware.

WarningU2
Premium
Burlington, ON
reply to Gixxer

So I ended up purchasing the RT-AC66U ... the guy at tiger direct recommended it for an extra 20 bucks. I haven't installed it yet because I don't want to be tired and rushed... likely do it this weekend unless the DLINK tosses its cookies completely. ... thanks everyone for their help. Its been invaluable. I will post back my impressions of Dark Knight (2) when installed

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10

I see Shibby's Tomato is now available for the RT-AC66U.

Mike

WarningU2
Premium
Burlington, ON

No idea what you're referring to ?

Expand your moderator at work

MrPink

Peterborough, ON
reply to WarningU2

Re: [INTERNET] Router Recommendations / Poll

Tomato is a third party firmware patch for routers. I googled Shibby's Tomato and the site seems mostly to be in a foreign language. What was written in english was over my head anyways lol. Unless you need it and understand what it does I'd just leave the router as is.

WarningU2
Premium
Burlington, ON

thanks ... yeah I was just doing the same and coming to the same conclusion but thanks Mr Pink (from R Dogs I presume? )

MrPink

Peterborough, ON

correct you are sir...

TheShib

@start.ca
reply to WarningU2

Shibby is the software engineer who has made some really great add ons to the Tomato Kernel for routers. The rt-ac66u is a good router because it can take advantage of these tweaks. This is a link to the site. Yes Shibby is russian but the docs are english and it easily understandable. Here is the link:

»tomato.groov.pl/ (no Kim this is not spam ..lol

Also the generic Tomato install is here:

»www.polarcloud.com/tomato

Your router is "capable" of running these, if you are so inclined.