quitaccount
DSLR sucks cocks
Premium Member
join:2000-11-13

quitaccount

Premium Member

motion detector security light question

Click for full size
I asked this over in the home improvement forum and didn't get a definitive answer.

would it be OK to install a switch between the hot in and switched hot out on a motion detector to keep the lights on at all times? I know I can bypass the lights by turning the breaker off then back on, but that is only for one night until the built in photocell resets it in the morning.

here's a (pretty crappy) diagram of what I was thinking. would this hurt the sensor in any way?
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful

Premium Member

I think that should be OK since it is just parallel to the photo-sensor which also acts like a switch.

quitaccount
DSLR sucks cocks
Premium Member

quitaccount

Premium Member

that's what I was thinking. just wanted some assurance

even if I do fry it, it is after all only a $20 part LOL.

thank you for your reply!!

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

1 recommendation

leibold to quitaccount

MVM

to quitaccount
If you want to play it safe, you could use a toggle switch (SPDT):
L1 connects to black(hot) from the junction box and the black control wire from the motion detector (input).
L2 connects to the red control wire from the motion detector (output).
C (common) connects to the black wires from the 2 light.
In position 1 the lights are permanently on. In position 2 the lights are motion controlled.

If you want to get really fancy you can get a toggle switch with a center off position which allows to turn the light off completely.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful

Premium Member

miniature rocker switch / center off $1.32

»www.parts-express.com/pe ··· =060-674

quitaccount
DSLR sucks cocks
Premium Member

quitaccount

Premium Member

I actually have a few SPDT toggles at work. that sounds like a better idea---maybe I had too many beers due to the holiday weekend and didn't think it through enough LOL.

i'll be grabbing one Tuesday and hooking it up that evening. thanks for the help and ideas!!
54067323 (banned)
join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

54067323 (banned)

said by quitaccount:

I actually have a few SPDT toggles at work. that sounds like a better idea---maybe I had too many beers due to the holiday weekend and didn't think it through enough LOL.

If this install is outside you will want to use a properly rated switch in a rain tight housing with a proper rain tight cover.

The last thing you need to do is create an electrical hazard with a wet switch.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to quitaccount

MVM

to quitaccount
Click for full size
3-way switch override
said by quitaccount:

I actually have a few SPDT toggles at work. that sounds like a better idea.

Using a 3-way switch is probably overkill but can't hurt.

That is how I set up our bathroom light/fan timer using a 3-way switch to allow fan to be run continuously.

Here is a schematic if you want a pretty picture.

/tom

quitaccount
DSLR sucks cocks
Premium Member

quitaccount to 54067323

Premium Member

to 54067323
said by 54067323:

said by quitaccount:

If this install is outside you will want to use a properly rated switch in a rain tight housing with a proper rain tight cover.

The last thing you need to do is create an electrical hazard with a wet switch.

all our stuff is for outdoor use.

the switches are 1/2" hole mount, direct exposure rated. I even have the rubber covers for them
54067323 (banned)
join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

54067323 (banned)

said by quitaccount:

the switches are 1/2" hole mount, direct exposure rated. I even have the rubber covers for them

And "listed" for that application?

quitaccount
DSLR sucks cocks
Premium Member

quitaccount

Premium Member

they're listed as (I believe) service disconnect switches for incandescent/fluorescent/neon signs. rated for 120-250v either 15 or 20 amp.

i'm only running 3 60 watt lightbulbs on it, so 1.5 amps. they are usually controlling 2 to 3 15000v/30ma neon transformers or a few ballasts.

...........which reminds me. if anyone needs a neon transformer for any projects, just PM me. I have a $h!tload of used ones that are still good, up to 15000v 60ma.
FTF only---they're WAY too heavy to ship.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to quitaccount

Premium Member

to quitaccount
And just because no one's mentioned it in this thread, a "3-way" switch is just a SPDT switch.

/M

quitaccount
DSLR sucks cocks
Premium Member

quitaccount

Premium Member

the ones I have are only on/on. so I guess it's a 2 position in my case I have no need for an "off" position anyway. it's either on by the motion sensor, or the photocell that feeds the circuit.
quitaccount

quitaccount

Premium Member

Click for full size
here's a diagram of how I have the switch wired. there is a photocell out to the left of what I sketched which will control the light when the bypass is activated for special occasions (Halloween, Xmas, ETC) and possibly all winter. I tested it tonight, and it seems to work perfectly with no fried sensor

thanks all for your input and help!!

tschmidt
MVM
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

Great when a plan comes together.

One thing I noticed is you are switching power to the motion sensor. That's fine and saves the watt or so the sensor is using. However: the sensors I've had turn on the output for a bit when first powered up. If that behavior is acceptable great, if not leave the sensor powered all the time and switch the output for manual control.

/tom

quitaccount
DSLR sucks cocks
Premium Member

quitaccount

Premium Member

will the way I have it hurt the sensor at all after time? if powering the sensor all the time is better I can just jump the two wires together.

this one does power the lights for a few seconds on initial power up, but if it won't kill the sensor I may just leave it as it doesn't really bother me.

tschmidt
MVM
Milford, NH

1 recommendation

tschmidt

MVM

The way you have is wired is fine, after all the sensor is wired in after a photocell.

I was just commenting on a potential usage issue.

/tom

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

1 recommendation

mackey to quitaccount

Premium Member

to quitaccount
said by quitaccount:

will the way I have it hurt the sensor at all after time?

I'd be very worried about backfeeding the SSR (or whatever they're using) like that, especially with no incoming power.

This is what I'd recommend:

/M

tschmidt
MVM
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

said by mackey:

I'd be very worried about backfeeding the SSR (or whatever they're using) like that, especially with no incoming power

The Triac or back to back SCRs are not being driven since the input is disconnected. The circuit as quitaccount See Profile implemented it is not going to cause a problem.

/tom

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold to mackey

MVM

to mackey
That matches what I had recommended.

Since this particular motion sensor has a neutral connection (many don't) a current can flow through the sensor regardless whether line voltage is applied to the input or to the output (backfeed).

While I don't expect necessarily any harm to come from it, I would not backfeed the motion sensor since it is not a normal operating condition for which it would be designed.