spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Big Frank

@pacbell.net

Non Residential Fiber Optic Questions.

I am in an M2 Industrial Park with ten units on ea side.
Currently have AT&T DSL Express at 1.5MB/s and local phone
I cant get more speed because they tell me CO is 17,020 feet from my loc.
AT&T has been harassing me by phone and mail that they want to upgrade me to U-Verse fibre optic, at same speed for some reason.
Note that there is a wiring closet at front of building and upon looking, I see nothing that appears to be FO. I cant believe I am the first, after all these months.

Questions:
The original twisted pair are embedded in the concrete floor and placed at time of construction.
So, the 17,020 foot run is being replaced only up to my building, not to my unit and the last 25' is irrelevent to speed attained??
Apparently I need a FIOS modem, but if they are not upgrading the last 25', I am still going to have the twisted pair in my office with no F/O cables, so why cant I just use my current DSL modem? Or do I need the new one even tho the final cabling rub is not F/O.
They want to send someone out and say it may take 1-2 hours - to do what? To plug in a modem?
My hookup is just fine now for what I do, curious as to how long before DSL goes bye bye?

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

If you are getting mailers/calls from AT&T to upgrade to "U-Verse Fiber Optic" but at speeds no greater than 1.5 Mbps down, you are not getting any new fiber optic at all.

You are still on a copper pair from your DSLAM, which likely is located at your local Central Office. At 17kft, you are doing pretty good getting 1.5 Mbps. The change will be made at the CO off of the old ATM DSLAM to the new U-Verse PTM DSLAM (Alcatel-Lucent 7330)

You might be connected off of a remote DSLAM somewhere between the CO and the business location, in which case at some point on that loop there was fiber laid part way, and then copper the rest. However, if you were on a fiber-fed remote, you should have much faster speeds available, probably at least 12 Mbps, possibly all the way to 45 Mbps

The installer may need to reconfigure some wiring slightly -- and your U-Verse xDSL may be provisioned over a different phone line or a dry loop than the current DSL, so that would require work. But yes, then installing, plugging in the new modem, and do the Internet Registration script to allow access

AT&T is working to move as many customers off of the old ATM DSL platform to the PTM U-Verse platform, be it IPDSLAM ADSL2+, FTTN VDSL2, or FTTP BPON/GPON.

Once you are converted to the U-Verse platform, there is no going back to the old DSL platform

Big Frank

@pacbell.net

Ah, so there IS such a thing as "legacy DSL twisted pair" U-Verse??
Doesnt automatically HAVE to be F/O?
That would explain some things

Still would like to know if the last 25' is twisted pair, other 17,000 feet is F/O with the correct F/O boxes installed, I def need a $100 F/O modem in my office with the twisted pair plugged in, correct?

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

U-Verse requires a U-Verse modem. That is where the $100 fee is. No U-Verse modem is a "Fiber Optic" modem -- all of them are xDSL modems (at least the customer-purchased $100 are).

You will be getting either a Motorola NVG510 (ADSL2+ IPDSLAM U-Verse) or a 2Wire/Pace 5031NV (ADSL2+ IPDSLAM or VDSL2 FTTN U-Verse)

Most likely you will still be on twisted Copper Pair from the DSLAM located at the Central Office all the way to your Modem

If you were getting a FTTP (Fiber to the premise/building) installation, you would not be buying a modem, you would be renting a modem at $7/month. None of the modems used for FTTP are customer purchased. And even then, those modems still connect via copper -- it takes a copper Ethernet feed from the Fiber Interface (ONT) to the modem

As far as legacy DSL U-Verse, no there is no such thing as that. The Legacy DSL is a different product, ADSL(1) based on ATM transport/PPPoE authentication.

(Almost) all U-Verse is a form of xDSL, with ADSL2+ or VDSL2 being the 2 predominant flavors, both using PTM transport/certificate based authentication.

That being said, Legacy DSL and U-Verse xDSL both use (at least part of) the same copper loop from the DSLAM location (be it at the CO or a field deployed remote DSLAM) to your residence/business/premise location

Big Frank

@pacbell.net

O.K., got it.
Thnx a lot
That ATT guy on the phone was clueless - lol

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

FYI plan ahead that on install day, your current Legacy ATM DSL service will probably go down sometime the morning of the installation, and you will not have the U-Verse Internet active until the installation completes -- so plan that you may be internet-less for a few hours on installation day

The morning of your install the local Central Office tech gets an order to move your pair off the legacy DSLAM @ the CO and move it to the U-Verse DSLAM. Your existing modem does not work with the U-Verse DSLAM, so once that is done, you do not have internet until the U-Verse installation tech arrives to install the new modem and verify (and reconfigure as needed) wiring to support U-Verse

Many residential and business customer installs I've done let me know they were a little upset that no one advised them that they would be out of internet for any length of time on install day (understandably so).

brookeKrige

join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA
kudos:3

At 1.5Mbps, assume this u-verse cannot sustain voice, so must still have POTS, using a uverse-grade phone filter (replacing the DSL phone filter)?

The slight wiring reconfig mentioned, sounds like it's all external, none of it is in the building? Then all in-the-building stuff including swapping filter and gateway could have been a self-install, sounds like? (Moot, as sounds like they are doing the inside "install" no charge).

Because it's a customer visit, will they take opportunity and "try" to setup two pairs now, regardless if current tier or offerings could use em? (edit: To avoid future $99 charge for 2nd pair install).

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

Business class service does not have a U-Verse VoIP option (at least not yet) - so Voice service is POTS if the business has it

Typically there would be a whole house splitter placed at the business MPoE (be it an IT, RW terminal, multi-unit NID, etc). Hook the voice iw back up as it was on the filter splitter port. And then either run a new cat 5 home run to the modem location or reconfigure an existing spare pair in the current IW, and connect that to the data/unfiltered port

There is no present requirement to set up a second pair on a single pair order

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Big Frank

said by Big Frank :

Apparently I need a FIOS modem ...

AT&T has no FiOS® modems; only Verizon and Frontier have those.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
reply to brookeKrige

Business Customers on U-verse are not given an option for U-Verse Voice. They are given regular POTs. U-Verse voice is only a residential product and not a business product.