how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

buckweet1980

join:2011-12-31
Allen, TX

Anyone go with the TIVO Roamio yet?

Thinking of going this route myself and am curious if anyone else has done so.. I've had a TIVO in the past and really liked it. I'd like to go with a Roamio and multiple mini boxes for the other rooms..

Only thing stopping me is the heavy up front costs.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:4
There are other threads on this. You might want to look at them.

KenAF

join:2006-01-23
Arlington, VA

4 edits
reply to buckweet1980
I just got one. It is fantastic. Highly recommended.

The HD interface is more refined than the Premiere (sharper graphics, fonts, etc.) and the interface is blazing fast. The 6 tuners and 3TB (450 HD hours) capacity are great too. The unit has built-in MoCA (networking over coax), wireless 802.11n (2.4GHz and 5.0GHz), and a gigabit ethernet port. It provides 1080p60 output for the UI and all channels.

The multi-room functionality is superb with TiVo Mini extenders. Each TiVo Mini can access all of the recordings stored on the Roamio using MoCA and your existing coax cables (no ethernet or wireless required). The TiVo Mini can also display live TV by accessing an unused tuner on the Roamio. TiVo added dynamic tuner allocation, so you no longer have to dedicate a tuner on the DVR to each Mini; when someone isn't watching liveTV on a Mini, the tuner is free for use by the DVR and/or another Mini in your home.

You can both stream and download recordings directly to four different iPads and iPhones, simultaneously, over your WiFi network, without any extra equipment. Using either the gigabit ethernet port or the built-in MoCA, you can download a high-definition recording to your PC at 140-150Mbps (i.e., a one-hour program downloads in four minutes).

The ability to stream high-definition recordings and liveTV over the Internet (and not just over your WiFi network) to multiple iPhones and iPads, simultaneously, isn't available yet. TiVo says that feature is coming this fall with a software update.

HenryFarpolo
Premium
join:2003-08-31
Andover, MA
I got one the day after it was introduced. No need to repeat what Ken has said!!

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

1 edit
reply to buckweet1980
I got a Romaio Pro a few days ago. the only real issue I had was with the cable card pairing. FiO suses Motorola cable cards. According to TiVo, The Roamio requires a Motorola cable card with the part number
514517-017-00 to be able to pair it. And the card needs to be paired to be able to view HBO and Cinemax.

I know when I had a cable card with part number 514517-002-00 FiOS could not get the card paired to my Roamio Pro. So this past Friday I exchanged the older card for the newer one with the part number that TiVo recommended. I got it paired to my Roamio PRo when I got home Friday evening. So after it was paired I was able to view HBO and Cinemax. Those are the only two premium channels that require the cable card to be paired to be able to view them.
If I didn't have HBO or Cinemax I would have never even bothered with pairing the cable card.

And as KenF mention the transfer rates are much faster. Although I have been getting 190Mb/s transfer rates to my PC using TiVo Desktop. I am using the Gigabit Ethernet connection on my Romaio Pro.

I also had an issue using a green Gigabit Ethernet Switch. The Roamio would periodically drop the connection. Other people have noticed the same thing at TiVo community forum. I replaced my green switch with a non-green one and the problem went away.

OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium
join:2005-01-30
Berwyn, PA
reply to buckweet1980
I would love to replace my current MR DVR, DVRs, etc with this. But, for now, I am going to wait a little while until Verizon introduces the Media Server. If the Roamio is cheaper for a three year period (it is cheaper than my current setup), I will get the Roamio. If it is early next year and the Media Server is still not out, I will get the Roamio.

JackBauer

join:2006-08-24
Schenectady, NY
I'd consider the Roamio - but them charging a monthly fee for the "satellite" streaming boxes. No thank you - not going to buy the box and pay an extra monthly fee for that. Have no problem with a monthly fee for the programming for the main unit, but for the satellite - where I'll very rarely use it at all, no way in heck would I pay a monthly fee. But that's just me - and I guess I do have a fairly uncommon situation. (One TV getting 99% of the usage, but would want the connectivity for the other TV as well)

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to OwlSaver
said by OwlSaver:

If the Roamio is cheaper for a three year period (it is cheaper than my current setup), I will get the Roamio.

I also have the same view so hopefully Verizon will keep that in mind when they price out the monthly price for their Media Server.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to JackBauer
You also have the option of paying for lifetime service on the Mini (aka, the unsubsidized price). It's $150. You can buy a TiVo mini from eBay for around $80 new, so that works out to $230. No monthly fees.

BTW, the monthly fee for the TiVo mini is only a dollar more than Verizon's new CableCARD fees (and much less than a STB), making it a pretty good deal.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

aaronwt
Premium
Woodbridge, VA
reply to JackBauer
said by JackBauer:

I'd consider the Roamio - but them charging a monthly fee for the "satellite" streaming boxes. No thank you - not going to buy the box and pay an extra monthly fee for that. Have no problem with a monthly fee for the programming for the main unit, but for the satellite - where I'll very rarely use it at all, no way in heck would I pay a monthly fee. But that's just me - and I guess I do have a fairly uncommon situation. (One TV getting 99% of the usage, but would want the connectivity for the other TV as well)

I have two TiVo Minis and I'm not paying a monthly fee on either of them. I got lifetime service on them. Plus a TiVo with lifetime service has a nice resale value while a TiVo with monthly service has a low resale value.

I only have one TiVo on monthly service right now, a two tuner Premiere I use for OTA only. But that is only because it's grandfathered into a $6.95 a month price and the resale value is too low. If I had lifetime on it, like 95% of my other TiVos had, I would have sold it.

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
kudos:1
reply to buckweet1980
Tivo looks like a rip off to me 599$ and then you have some sort of contract.

aaronwt
Premium
Woodbridge, VA
said by patt2k:

Tivo looks like a rip off to me 599$ and then you have some sort of contract.

It's certainly cheaper than using the FiOS DVRs. With what I currently have, One Roamio Pro($600 + $400 lifetime service) and two Minis(Each is $100 + $150 for lifetime. so $500 total), to get something comparable with FiOS is around $50 a month. Although it still wouldn't have the storage or other features that TiVo has.

Now with the Tivo I also need a cable card. The break even point in around 33 months. But at the end of that 33 months I would not own the FiOS equipment. I would still need to continually pay a monthly fee. While with my TiVos I could sell them for hundreds of dollars and pocket the money or put it towards new TiVo hardware like a typically do. In the long run owning a tiVo has always been less expensive.

JackBauer

join:2006-08-24
Schenectady, NY
The only real (and major) risk - is the Tivo breaking down before 33 months is up. It's not like they are warranted for 3 years, are they?

aaronwt
Premium
Woodbridge, VA
said by JackBauer:

The only real (and major) risk - is the Tivo breaking down before 33 months is up. It's not like they are warranted for 3 years, are they?

I have four year extended warranties from Best Buy on mine. But I only get those to help with the resale in a few years. Since I always upgrade to the new models when they are released. I've never used any of the extended warranties but when reselling them they will sell quicker when the buyer knows they are still going to be covered by a warranty.

I've owned at least a couple dozen TiVos over the last twelve years and so far have never had any die on me. My GF is still using two of my Series 3 TiVos that I got in 2006. So far there have not been any issues with them and they will be seven years old in December.

obeythelaw
Premium
join:2003-04-16
Bayonne, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to OwlSaver
If one wanted to go the Tivo route, does Fios have to send a tech out to install the cable card? The Roamio with 4 tuners looks like it would suit me just fine compared to the two tuner multi room. I only have one other tv and the tivo mini would replace that. However, what is the Fios media server?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
said by obeythelaw:

does Fios have to send a tech out to install the cable card?

No.
said by obeythelaw:

what is the Fios media server?

Have you read this thread?
»Fios Media Server
The first post in that thread contains a link to a news article from a year ago which contains a good description.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

obeythelaw
Premium
Bayonne, NJ
Thanks for the thread link. It sounds like a great device, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that to hit my area for a while. Good to know that I don't have to waste a day for a tech to pop the card in.

swope1221

join:2008-08-26
Newtown, PA
reply to buckweet1980
The only reason I ever didn't seriously consider tivo is the lack of on demand support. If verizon could somehow ever enable this I would switch in a heartbeat.

buckweet1980

join:2011-12-31
Allen, TX
I picked up a roamio a few weeks ago and kept it for a few days..

Things that upset me about is that they haven't updated the UI on it at all compared to older products I've used back in 2003, which was a DirecTV Tivo. It felt majorly outdated compared to DTV and FIOS DVR offerings. Many of the menu screens are still in SD format while other are in HD. The guide doesn't give you as much information as the FIOS DVR, the Netflix app is in SD only and there are a few other things that upset me about it too.. Those things really left me not impressed. I then sat back and realized that it would take 2.5yrs+ for a payoff of just the Roamio alone when comparing the monthly FIOS DVR fee. Then if you want lifetime subscription for TIVO tack on another 4 or 500 (can't remeber exactly)..

The main reason I wanted to use the TIVO was because of the TIVO Mini devices. Extra boxes on DTV, DISH, FIOS, etc are really expensive. If I had loved the product I'd pay it, but the current state of the system doesn't justify the cost I feel. So I'm stuck paying the monthly fee on the FIOS DVR for now. I'll revisit TIVO in the future when they update things. I wish MS hadn't killed off WMC and 3rd party extenders

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
said by buckweet1980:

I picked up a roamio a few weeks ago and kept it for a few days..

Things that upset me about is that they haven't updated the UI on it at all compared to older products I've used back in 2003, which was a DirecTV Tivo. It felt majorly outdated compared to DTV and FIOS DVR offerings. Many of the menu screens are still in SD format while other are in HD. The guide doesn't give you as much information as the FIOS DVR, the Netflix app is in SD only and there are a few other things that upset me about it too..

Are you sure you got a Roamio...?

The UI is fully HD except for a few settings/info menus (which I agree is a problem, but you'll see those a small fraction of the total time you'll use the TiVo.. maybe only once for some people). The DirecTiVo used a completely different UI, now called the "SDUI". The HDUI came along with the Premiere series. The new Roamio UI still has the same feel as the original TiVo SDUI, but a ton has changed - mostly for the better.

Netflix supports HD (and SuperHD, too I think)

There's two styles of the guide - TiVo Live Guide and Grid guide. Which one were you using? I'm curious because I find the guide to be significantly better than FiOS's. I may agree that DirecTV's new UI gives the TiVo UI a run for its money, but the FiOS UI is no where close in my experience.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

wmcbrine
213 251 145 96

join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD
kudos:1
reply to swope1221
said by swope1221:

The only reason I ever didn't seriously consider tivo is the lack of on demand support. If verizon could somehow ever enable this I would switch in a heartbeat.

It's technically feasible, but Verizon would rather force you to rent their own boxes.
--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

obeythelaw
Premium
Bayonne, NJ
reply to buckweet1980
Since Fios doesn't require a tech to come out to the house to install the cable card, would I be able to go to a verizon fios store to pick up the cable card?

HenryFarpolo
Premium
Andover, MA
said by obeythelaw:

Since Fios doesn't require a tech to come out to the house to install the cable card, would I be able to go to a verizon fios store to pick up the cable card?

Yes, and the setup process is generally quite simple.

aaronwt
Premium
Woodbridge, VA
said by HenryFarpolo:

said by obeythelaw:

The setup process is simple, the problem is getting a tech on chat or on the phone that knows what they are doing. When I had to get my cablecard paired to my replacement Roamio Pro, it took the person on Chat over 1.5 hours to get it done. This is in stark contrast to the first Roamio, when I had a tech that knew what they were doing, and it only took around 15 minutes.

HenryFarpolo
Premium
Andover, MA
said by aaronwt:

said by HenryFarpolo:

said by obeythelaw:

The setup process is simple, the problem is getting a tech on chat or on the phone that knows what they are doing. When I had to get my cablecard paired to my replacement Roamio Pro, it took the person on Chat over 1.5 hours to get it done. This is in stark contrast to the first Roamio, when I had a tech that knew what they were doing, and it only took around 15 minutes.

The cable card self install for my Roamio worked flawlessly and has for several other TIVO devices. You only need tech interaction if the self install process fails.

obeythelaw
Premium
Bayonne, NJ
How does the self install work? Is it something you do on the verizon website or is it all done through the TV interface when you put the cablecard in?

gabmasterjcc

join:2003-09-08
Fairfax, VA
Web or phone. My self install failed and I had to talk to a tech, but it was just removing and re-adding the card to the account.

HenryFarpolo
Premium
Andover, MA
There are three methods;

1) verizon.com/fiostv/selfinstall

2) By phone 1-888-897-7499

3) Using in Home Agent...Search Cable Card.

When you first insert the Card instructions appear on the pairing screen.

You also get instructions at the FIOS store.

obeythelaw
Premium
Bayonne, NJ
I'm setting it up now and when it asks me to choose my cable provider it doesn't list my town. It has a couple that are not too far from me. Should I just select that one?

daghis
Premium
join:2004-07-22
Canonsburg, PA
You probably have the same lineup as your neighboring towns, so I'd say that you could give that a try.