how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Kenrob

@verizon.net
reply to obeythelaw

Re: Anyone go with the TIVO Roamio yet?

Yes, provided it's a Verizon "company owned" store and not a private reseller store.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to wmcbrine

Why would anyone want it to communicate with a FiOS DVR? That would be a big downgrade.

wmcbrine
213 251 145 96

join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD
kudos:1
reply to navyson

The TiVo has its own multi-room system. It will not communicate with a Fios DVR.
--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
reply to navyson

What do you mean by "work seamlessly"?
It receives the same channels, but does not interoperate with the FIOS DVR in any way.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

navyson

join:2011-07-15
Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to buckweet1980

Other than no VOD and high upfront cost, are there any other downsides to the Tivo Roamio?

Does it work seemlessly with the multi-room DVR Fios system?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to wmcbrine

said by wmcbrine:

Well, those aren't lucasnz changes to begin with; they're mine. The main differences in his fork were the option to extract transport streams (which I now have), and a separate mobile (iOS-oriented) web UI (which I don't have yet).

Was hoping you'd come by to clear that up. I had a feeling I was "off", but couldn't remember getting mkvs to work properly a while ago until I switched to his branch. Thanks for the correction
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

wmcbrine
213 251 145 96

join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD
kudos:1
reply to Thinkdiff

Well, those aren't lucasnz changes to begin with; they're mine. The main differences in his fork were the option to extract transport streams (which I now have), and a separate mobile (iOS-oriented) web UI (which I don't have yet).

I'm afraid a video walkthrough would be pretty dull for a program that mostly just dumps plain text to a terminal window, but I guess it's something to think about. The documentation is largely outdated, I know.
--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to buckweet1980

It's under very active development:
»repo.or.cz/w/pyTivo/wmcbrine.git
»pytivo.sourceforge.net/wiki/inde···Releases

I don't know of any walkthroughs - you shouldn't really need one. Download the latest release and take a look at the read me, it should tell you whatever you need to install. On OS X, it just works. On modern Linux, it either just works or requires a few "apt-get" or equivalent. No idea about Windows.

Then you go to http ://ip of computer:9032/ and finish configuration. At the same site, you can browse through your video files, pick one, and push it to the TiVo.

As for MKVs, I use the lucasnz branch of pyTiVo. It will automatically convert MKVs into MP4s (with no transcoding if possible) and send the MP4 directly to the TiVo. TiVos don't support DTS, so it will on-the-fly convert DTS to AAC or AC3. I think some of these changes were merged back into the main branch, and it doesn't look like the lucasnz branch has been updated for awhile, so maybe it's time to switch back.
--

buckweet1980

join:2011-12-31
Allen, TX
reply to Thinkdiff

I looked for videos on pyTiVo on youtube but didn't have any luck.. Does anyone know of a good walkthrough video that isn't 4yrs old?

How do you play mkv's and such? The FAQ was last updated on 2008 saying it didn't play them well, this leads to me believe this is a dead product now?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to brutus

+1 for pyTiVo. That alone makes a TiVo better than any other DVR.
--

brutus

join:2003-12-16
Tampa, FL
reply to buckweet1980

said by buckweet1980:

I had many hopes and dreams of the TiVo. Another one was to have it be my media center by supporting DLNA so I can play my movies and such from my media server. That's another thing that I wish they'd add. Time will tell.

There was a company supposedly working on DLNA for TiVo, but that was last year and nothing ever came of it. I just use PyTiVo to push any content to my TiVo since it will transcode anything on the fly that needs to be changed for TiVo to support playback.

celticpride

@verizon.net
reply to brutus

I love tivo!, but i wish we could get on demand,I also would like to see the channel icons in the guide,and i wouldn't mind a color coded guide like verizon has,other than that the tivo is the best dvr on the planet!

buckweet1980

Allen, TX
reply to brutus

said by brutus:

Unfortunately Amazon's app are up to Amazon. Your best bet is to contact Amazon and ask them why it isn't on the new TiVo. There is a thread on TiVocommunity about it. Everyone seems to get a different response from Amazon why it isn't on there. Mine was their licensing doesn't allow it.

Yeah is what everyone is going to have to do to get attention, bummer that those 2 can't make an agreement to support it.

I had many hopes and dreams of the TiVo. Another one was to have it be my media center by supporting DLNA so I can play my movies and such from my media server. That's another thing that I wish they'd add. Time will tell.

brutus

join:2003-12-16
Tampa, FL
reply to buckweet1980

said by buckweet1980:

Went back and looked into it a bit more of the things I 'forgot' about on why I wasn't fully satisfied with the TIVO..

Tivo doesn't support Amazon Prime, only instant video. Meaning I can't stream from the Prime service. Also with instant videos, they have to be downloaded ahead of time. Since I have Prime already due to other reasons the video service is an added bonus and because I have that, there's no reason for me to subscribe to netflix.

Guide doesn't have channel pictures, and it also doesn't colorize based on show type. I know you can change the guide on Tivo to filter for sports, movies, etc, but it's another step when FIOS STB just shows colors in the main guide.. I usually just search for the colors at first when I'm trying to find a movie or sports show.

Unfortunately Amazon's app are up to Amazon. Your best bet is to contact Amazon and ask them why it isn't on the new TiVo. There is a thread on TiVocommunity about it. Everyone seems to get a different response from Amazon why it isn't on there. Mine was their licensing doesn't allow it.

As far as the guide. I don't think I have used a guide in over 10 years since I started using TiVo. I have too much to watch as it is so I never even bother checking live TV. I use sites like thefutoncritic.com/listings to set upcoming recordings for shows I might be interested in.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to obeythelaw

said by obeythelaw:

Now that I have my Tivo setup. Can I call Verizon up and have them remove the whole home DVR, the actual DVR and the standard HD box I had my account? I'm assuming I don't need to have the Whole Home DVR active on my account to keep my Fios TV working?

You don't need the Whole Home DVR, DVR, or STB to use the TiVos. As long as the CableCARD is on the account, the TiVo will work fine.
--

obeythelaw
Premium
join:2003-04-16
Bayonne, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to buckweet1980

Now that I have my Tivo setup. Can I call Verizon up and have them remove the whole home DVR, the actual DVR and the standard HD box I had my account? I'm assuming I don't need to have the Whole Home DVR active on my account to keep my Fios TV working?

obeythelaw
Premium
join:2003-04-16
Bayonne, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to buckweet1980

I find the color codes distracting. However, I agree about Amazon Prime. It's a big fail for Tivo not to have it. I was reading online that the CEO was saying that the ball is in Amazon's court for it and they are waiting for them to make the necessary changes. Not sure if it is true but I don't see why Tivo wouldn't want to include it.

buckweet1980

Allen, TX
reply to buckweet1980

Went back and looked into it a bit more of the things I 'forgot' about on why I wasn't fully satisfied with the TIVO..

Tivo doesn't support Amazon Prime, only instant video. Meaning I can't stream from the Prime service. Also with instant videos, they have to be downloaded ahead of time. Since I have Prime already due to other reasons the video service is an added bonus and because I have that, there's no reason for me to subscribe to netflix.

Guide doesn't have channel pictures, and it also doesn't colorize based on show type. I know you can change the guide on Tivo to filter for sports, movies, etc, but it's another step when FIOS STB just shows colors in the main guide.. I usually just search for the colors at first when I'm trying to find a movie or sports show.

nlk10010

join:2007-06-27
Great Neck, NY
reply to Thinkdiff

Re: .

said by Thinkdiff:

Heh, the checkmark does mean "record this", but that screen shot is from TiVo.com. Thanks for the suggestion, though! I'll set a wishlist on my TiVo to record it the next time it's on

Funny, I was going to ask you how the hell you get TCM-HD. Now I know. In the spirit of tlbepson, I was also going to remark about "Dead of Night", super movie, "Groundhog Day" before there was "Groundhog Day". Thank heaven they haven't tried to remake that (yet).

tlbepson
Premium
join:2002-02-09
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Thinkdiff

>>thinkdiff: Thanks for the suggestion, though! I'll set a wishlist on my TiVo to record it the next time it's on

You're welcome...you are in for a treat. It's wonderfully and beautifully filmed and spooky as well. The 1982 remake was positively ghastly...'-}}

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to tlbepson

said by tlbepson:

Thinkdiff...

Was the checkmark next to "Cat People" in your screen shot a reminder to watch it? That is the BEST movie--not seen it in eons and I can still visualize it. The remake just sucked...'-}}

Heh, the checkmark does mean "record this", but that screen shot is from TiVo.com. Thanks for the suggestion, though! I'll set a wishlist on my TiVo to record it the next time it's on
--

tlbepson
Premium
join:2002-02-09
Washington, DC
reply to Thinkdiff

Thinkdiff...

Was the checkmark next to "Cat People" in your screen shot a reminder to watch it? That is the BEST movie--not seen it in eons and I can still visualize it. The remake just sucked...'-}}

aaronwt
Premium
Woodbridge, VA

1 edit
reply to buckweet1980

Re: Anyone go with the TIVO Roamio yet?

I remember trying the grid guide on my Tivos back in the early 2000's and didn't like it so I switched to the Live guide and never returned to the Grid guide. It's weird seeing it again. I could not use it because the grid guide barely shows any info compared to what the Live guide shows.

It just takes much longer to view the guide when using it in grid mode. Especially with all the channels and content available now.
The grid guide only shows up to five shows ahead while the Live guide can show up to eight.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2
reply to Thinkdiff

Thinkdiff, I pretty much concluded the same as you -- they're very similar and it's a matter preference if one is actually "better" than the other. Changes since 1.8 really made them "equivalent but different in look."

buckweet1980

Allen, TX

1 edit
reply to Thinkdiff

I told you it was over a month ago and I forgot exactly what it was, lol... I was thinking of Netflix when I reallly meant to say Amazon instant video. That UI isn't HD. So yes, Netflix is in HD as you've shown.

Also for the guide, now that I see a picture it rings the bell.. It's the additional time you get to see with FIOS along with pictures of the channels.. I browse based on channel pictures because I'm too lazy learn the channel code names on locals & short name on the cable stations.. Those were the main things I believe. I don't recall having pictures when I had DTV years ago, but I became spoiled when having it with FIOS.

I might try it again in the future when they hopefully get some of the other things cleaned up. I really want TIVO for the mini boxes more than anything. I'm building a new home that has many locations that I want a TV in, but I don't want to pay STB fees for every room. The minis fits the bill, although they have the 250 dollar price tag each to eliminate the STB fees.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to PJL

said by PJL:

Thinkdiff, Tivo's is a nice guide view (I like the style), but not that much different.

I think the TiVo UI "looks nicer", but I agree they basically show the same information - that's why I was surprised by buckweet1980's comments that the FiOS guide is somehow better or shows significantly more information. Back when I had a FiOS DVR, it was running 1.8 and the guide was even worse and showed less info.

said by PJL:

Does Tivo have the second guide view that shows when you hit the guide view twice (the one that shows the channel guide across the top, the programs for the upcoming programs for the selected channel, the thumbnail of the current programming on the channel, a synopsis of the selected program, etc.)? The one guide shot you posted looks somewhat like it I guess. Just curious...

The picture I posted is small, but the TiVo Live Guide shows basically that, in a side-by-side format instead of top bar and middle list format. Here's a better picture:

The FiOS guide shows the channel icon, but the TiVo guide shows the currently airing program on the other channels so you can quickly page through the live guide's left pane to see all the programs on now. It's much faster and shows more useful information than the FiOS version (I don't find the channel logos very useful - prefer to have more program info, but I could see how some people like them)
--

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Thinkdiff

Thinkdiff, Tivo's is a nice guide view (I like the style), but not that much different. Does Tivo have the second guide view that shows when you hit the guide view twice (the one that shows the channel guide across the top, the programs for the upcoming programs for the selected channel, the thumbnail of the current programming on the channel, a synopsis of the selected program, etc.)? The one guide shot you posted looks somewhat like it I guess. Just curious...

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to buckweet1980

Nothing has changed since September, but the actual UI still isn't really what you describe.

Netflix's UI is absolutely in HD. It looks the same as many other HD Netflix device UIs (PS3, etc)

The Grid Guide shows both a synopsis of the show and 8 channels at a time. It only shows the next upcoming 2 hours, but squishing more hours onto the screen seems counter productive. You wouldn't be able to se the names of the shows.

The FiOS guide looks to only show 7 channels at a time, but does have 1 extra half hour. Can you change the number of channels or hours displayed?

That's why I like the live guide better. Shows the same 8 channels, but also the next 8 programs (which could span many hours) on a channel. And also shows the synopsis.

Obviously you've already made up your mind, but your memory of the UI seems foggy
--

buckweet1980

Allen, TX
reply to Thinkdiff

said by Thinkdiff:

Are you sure you got a Roamio...?

The UI is fully HD except for a few settings/info menus (which I agree is a problem, but you'll see those a small fraction of the total time you'll use the TiVo.. maybe only once for some people). The DirecTiVo used a completely different UI, now called the "SDUI". The HDUI came along with the Premiere series. The new Roamio UI still has the same feel as the original TiVo SDUI, but a ton has changed - mostly for the better.

Netflix supports HD (and SuperHD, too I think)

There's two styles of the guide - TiVo Live Guide and Grid guide. Which one were you using? I'm curious because I find the guide to be significantly better than FiOS's. I may agree that DirecTV's new UI gives the TiVo UI a run for its money, but the FiOS UI is no where close in my experience.

It was defintely the Roamio since it had 6 tuners, which was quite nice. While yes many screens on the Roamio are in the HDUI, there are several which aren't. That left a bitter taste in my mouth considering how much I spent, plus how long they've been messing around with fixing it the UI and it's still not fully done with their new flagship box. In regards to Netflix, itself might support HD streams for contect, but the interface is not in HD (unless it was just updated in the last few weeks). Thus going along with my statement not all of the interface is in HD.

As for the guide, the live guide doesn't do anything for me. So I use the grid view. I like to just look at the guide, browse and pick. I want a quick synopsis of what the show might be about and TiVO doesn't give me that like the FIOS/DTV boxes do. It also only shows like 5 grid lines vs FIOS DVR which has many more, and it shows less hours too.. This was over a month ago so I hope I remember everything right It's just the way I browse for TV that I didn't like with TIVO.

Once again a lot of it came down to the fact that I've used FIOS/DTV boxes and have become accustomed to them and like the way they function. Spending 500+ on a TIVO setup (bought Roamio and a Mini) and to have it not function as easily as I was used to left a bad taste in my mouth. If it were 200 bucks I'd get over it quicker.

If anything has changed since mid Sept I'd love to hear.

aaronwt
Premium
Woodbridge, VA
reply to DinoBambino

said by DinoBambino:

said by aaronwt:

I have four year extended warranties from Best Buy on mine. But I only get those to help with the resale in a few years. Since I always upgrade to the new models when they are released. I've never used any of the extended warranties but when reselling them they will sell quicker when the buyer knows they are still going to be covered by a warranty.

How does the Best Buy extended warranty work with a lifetime subscription? Are you able to transfer the lifetime subscription to a new box like TiVo does for their warranties?

Thanks.

Yes, TiVo will transfer the lifetime service to the replacement box.