BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to glowboyVT

Premium Member

to glowboyVT

Re: Tuning Adapter works even when not plugged in ?

I think you are missing something...like perhaps you wern't actually tuned to an SDV channel but thought you were. Can't say for sure but that's more than likely the deal.
glowboyVT
join:2013-08-24

glowboyVT

I don't blame you for doubting this. I would have doubted it too. I did in fact tune in SDV channels previously using 1020 WESH and 1286 SyFy. If I get time this weekend I will dig into my cabinet and perform a controlled test using verified SDV channels as published on the BHN website.
tim tim tim
join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

said by glowboyVT:

I don't blame you for doubting this. I would have doubted it too. I did in fact tune in SDV channels previously using 1020 WESH and 1286 SyFy. If I get time this weekend I will dig into my cabinet and perform a controlled test using verified SDV channels as published on the BHN website.

The way SDV works is if there is already a stream started by another user in the serving group then you would "leach" on to that stream (not requiring 2way of your own).
Typically, this doesn't work with tivo units BUT since you JUST unplugged it and already had the most up to date channel plan (channel plan is updated every time a new stream is started to let every other 2way device in that serving group know what frequency to tune to to get that specific channel) maybe you were able to leach on to existing streams.

this is just my theory on how it may have worked.
glowboyVT
join:2013-08-24

glowboyVT

tim tim tim: That could be it how it was able to work when I had it unplugged, and there may be a 2nd explanation too. When I unplugged the tuning adapter's AC power adapter from the wall receptacle, the capacitor within the power adapter "brick" may have held (stored) a charge for a few minutes allowing the unit to still work once I moved it within my cabinet.