Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cssoz

join:2013-07-24
canada

[Cable] Having 2 cable modems in same house

Hi,

I am just wondering if i can have 2 cable modems running on the same level or even the same house?

- Would it have a conflict on bandwidth usage and speed
- also if i can move my cable modem from my room to another, does it affect receiving signals? if it's not the same outlet from when i activated my Internet?

Reason for that is i was wondering i can get order a 150 package along with me 45 one in near the future.

Thanks in advance

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath

You can move the cable modem around the same house. Should not affect services.

Depending on the cable company/ISP depends on if you can have a 2nd or even 3rd modem in the home. You would just need to create a 2nd account and pay for two different accounts. They would be on their own plan, etc.

cssoz

canada

said by TBBroadband:

Depending on the cable company/ISP depends on if you can have a 2nd or even 3rd modem in the home. You would just need to create a 2nd account and pay for two different accounts. They would be on their own plan, etc.

Would i be able to have 2 different accounts on Teksavvy and yet both use Cable Internet with no navigate affects on services?

Because in my area M1L0E9, DSL speed is slow to the point where it reminds of my early 2000s

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

Rogers won't install 2 cable modem services at the same address. You'll have to get them to set one up as a separate unit at the same address, meaning 2 bills and a pain whenever dealing with Rogers in the future (They'll always ask which unit).

Otherwise, you can have two connections, but they aren't able to be bonded, so you'll effectively only see the top speed of the fastest connection if you load balance yourself.

In the past I had DSL and cable and 2 USENET accounts for downloading, but stopped doing that when cable got reasonable speeds. When I did it, I had to have two different USENET providers as well and set up my routing so that one provider always used one connection and the other provider always used the other connection.
--
Tom

dm1336

join:2011-08-07
Scarborough, ON
reply to cssoz

You can move the modem around the house but the more splitters that are between the modem and the line running into your house the weaker the signal will be and you could experience issues with your modem.

There are a lot of things that can effect the signal of the modem but generally if you can have it on its own cable line then you should be fine.

Expand your moderator at work

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to dm1336

Re: [Cable] Having 2 cable modems in same house

said by dm1336:

You can move the modem around the house but the more splitters that are between the modem and the line running into your house the weaker the signal will be and you could experience issues with your modem.

There are a lot of things that can effect the signal of the modem but generally if you can have it on its own cable line then you should be fine.

Just leave your modem where it is, and just get another router to bridge your wifi signals to or run CaT5e to another unit in another room.

Some places with multiple cable outlets might have all the extra outlets shut down and only one active one, you'd have to pay something to enable more I think. Not certain about this myself.
--

!- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -!
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = @TwiztedZero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

cssoz

canada
reply to cssoz

thank you guys~! for answering~! ill look into it.

kevinds

join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:2
reply to cssoz

I'm with Shaw, Rogers may be different, but I have two cable modems, sitting within an arms reach of each other,

No issues, bonding them is more of a challange, which I am working on overcoming lol
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

mikee

join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON
reply to cssoz

yes you can have two modems, my dad has distributel, and i have teksavvy cable, different isps but both coming through TPIA (rogers)

cssoz

canada

said by mikee:

yes you can have two modems, my dad has distributel, and i have teksavvy cable, different isps but both coming through TPIA (rogers)

oh =] thanks for that information, so my guess is i have to have a different ISP =\

mikee

Gloucester, ON

i doubt it im sure you could have both with the same isp, its just in my case my dad has been with distributel, i hated distributel because it would lag then i decided to get my own isp for myself lol

cssoz

canada

said by mikee:

i doubt it im sure you could have both with the same isp, its just in my case my dad has been with distributel, i hated distributel because it would lag then i decided to get my own isp for myself lol

u lagged maybe because of using same ISP with same signal or frequency

mikee

Gloucester, ON

No I lagged because other family members would always be using skype, uploading, etc. It would lag the games I play, or when I want to download its all being saturated by family members.

So then I figured I would just get my own ISP in the same house & it worked fine.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:22

1 recommendation

reply to TLS2000

said by TLS2000:

Rogers won't install 2 cable modem services at the same address. You'll have to get them to set one up as a separate unit at the same address, meaning 2 bills and a pain whenever dealing with Rogers in the future (They'll always ask which unit).

I thought the same thing, but Peter Rocca (owner of Start) said that this was incorrect: Rogers will allow multiple cable services at the same address without any unit trickery, and they will even install the splitter for each modem for you.
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.2 released!