uniqs

RedCaliSS
Premium Member
join:2004-08-21
Murrieta, CA

RedCaliSS

Premium Member

[Praise] Home Depot sure has changed

Not sure how many remember how horrible shopping at Home Depot use to be but lately they have done a complete 180.
Had to run in to my local Home Depot yesterday, on a saturday no less, ugh!!
Place was packed and I was thinking to myself, this is going to take forever.. was I wrong! They had every checkout station manned, free water bottles at the exit (it's been over 100 here) plenty of help, was having problems finding a simple $1.50 item to fix some screens, plus a few other odds & ends for some "honey-do's".. I was in and out in under 20 minutes... Home Depot had employees wandering around overly eager to help.... I remember at one time it was near impossible to get any help even walking up to a store employee..
Was planning on having to spend about $80 on stuff, walked out only spent $40... The gal at the register gave me a 1/2 off discount on the 6 sprinklers I bought when I told her they were cheaper down the street at Ace...
I had a small bag of stuff and this employee (a kid, not much older then 17) offered to carry my stuff to the car for me... I'm old, but not that old!!
Was really impressed by the service...

We all know how busy home improvement centers can be on a weekend, especially a long weekend like labor day.. I drove by Lowes about 3 blocks away, place was empty compared to Home Depot

*Disclaimer* I'm NOT an Employee of Home Depot.. if you remember how crappy they use to be, and stopped going like I did, you may want to check them out again.. Being a home owner I'm always looking for ways to save and have alot of household projects....
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada

TheMG

Premium Member

Can't say I've ever had any problems/complaints with Home Depot in the many years I've shopped there.

Of course, YMMV depending on location.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd to RedCaliSS

Premium Member

to RedCaliSS
Home Depot is under different management now. The founders had been moved aside in favor of a corporate style management but the service suffered greatly. That regime is now gone and hiring more helpful staff is encouraged...just in time as Lowes was kicking HDs butt.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to RedCaliSS

MVM

to RedCaliSS
Never had a problem either - in fact generally had too many asking to help me. Though the management at the local stores are probably very good - my SIL w3ass the manager at one of the stores. She has been working for HD for 10+ years.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to RedCaliSS

Premium Member

to RedCaliSS
In NJ, Home Depot was great when they first came in (maybe late 1980's ??) then they got pretty bad.

Now they are good again.

Everything runs in cycles, I guess.

I don't do much DIY but I still tend to go to local plumbing supply stores, local electrical supply stores, for things because those guys instantly can figure things out (like who made a certain faucet) just by a quick look.
billydunwood
join:2008-04-23
united state

billydunwood to RedCaliSS

to RedCaliSS
I have always had good experience at Home Depot, but at our stores down in SoCal, there area always so many employees just standing around the aisles or standing at the doors saying "hi". I understand greeting the customer is important, but is there a need to have 8 employees just standing around? It makes me seem like its a waste of money
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd

Premium Member

The founders encouraged store managers to hire construction workers with disabilities/retired, etc to bring some building/installing expertise to the customer, so the customer could envision doing the project at hand. That was smart staffing. That all went away when they expanded too rapidly and the stores became difficult to manage...too few good store managers and too few experts hired in those stores. When the second gen managers took over the focus was selling specific products HD wanted to push instead of listening to the customers.

M A R S
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Long Island

M A R S to RedCaliSS

Premium Member

to RedCaliSS
I too think HD has gotten better. Lowes SUCKS BIG TIME. I hate them. The people working there are clowns and the prices are higher, less selection. It just all around sucks.

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium Member
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX

Thespis

Premium Member

said by M A R S:

I too think HD has gotten better. Lowes SUCKS BIG TIME. I hate them. The people working there are clowns and the prices are higher, less selection. It just all around sucks.

In my area, the opposite is true but I will admit that HD is getting better. I go to Lowe's because they usually have a better quality of lumber, especially 1x4 and 1x6. HD usually has "banana boards" loaded with knots.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert to RedCaliSS

Premium Member

to RedCaliSS
I agree, I've seen HUGE improvements @ HD. From more employee presence in the aisles, to more organized shelves, to additional self-check out stations.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by Robert:

I agree, I've seen HUGE improvements @ HD. From more employee presence in the aisles, to more organized shelves, to additional self-check out stations.

Probably a generational thing, but I don't see additional self-service checkouts as a plus.

Robert
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

said by PX Eliezer1:

said by Robert:

Probably a generational thing, but I don't see additional self-service checkouts as a plus.

Probably. My mom hates me because I can go into a store, and be out in 20 minutes with a pair of shoes, socks, shirt, pants, and belt.

HD is the same, I want to be in and out, and the self-service checkouts are great for that

ImOld
@rr.com

1 recommendation

ImOld to PX Eliezer1

Anon

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

said by Robert:

I'm almost 80.

I love self-service.

What generation might that be that you are refering to?
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by ImOld :

I'm almost 80.

I love self-service.

What generation might that be that you are refering to?

Maybe job generation, for one thing.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to RedCaliSS

Premium Member

to RedCaliSS
These stores, most of them, pay minimum wage or just above that, yet they want people with strong product knowledge. You can't always hire knowledge and experience, you have to nurture it into existence. Retails needs to start paying a living wage and providing insurance and not hiring only 30 hours or less a week to avoid health insurance. Prices might go up, but not by much and our shopping experience would be worlds better. We need to invest in our citizens.

HD is generally a good company, they are involved in a lot of charitable work and have high standards, but paying people 8 to 10 bucks an hour for what they demand of people is crazy. Them and all the other retailers.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

Costco pays their people decently and has medical insurance too.

I know several Costco employees. A good outfit to work for.
02778712 (banned)
join:2013-07-08
MA

02778712 (banned) to M A R S

to M A R S
said by M A R S:

It's the exact opposite here. Lowe's use to suck but is very good these days. HD use to be good but sucks now. There's no such thing as help in a HD around here. It's so much of a hassle to use competitors coupons that I just won't go there anymore. I'd rather go to Lowe's who makes me feel like they want my business. It just happened in the last year and a half too. Prior to that I use to go to HD exclusively. I use to spend like $3,000 a year with them but now that money goes to Lowe's.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to PrntRhd

Premium Member

to PrntRhd
said by PrntRhd:

The founders had been moved aside in favor of a corporate style management but the service suffered greatly.

And here lies the problem. Corporate-style management is never good when they are pushing the bottom line and not caring about anything else.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool to RedCaliSS

to RedCaliSS
Home Depot is terrible. You can never find someone to help you find something in the store.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

Except for the majority in this thread from scanning the responses...
02778712 (banned)
MA

02778712 (banned) to brianiscool

to brianiscool
said by brianiscool:

Home Depot is terrible. You can never find someone to help you find something in the store.

Even if you do they are clueless.

LowesDepot
@rr.com

LowesDepot

Anon

And this thread perhaps proves a point. In my area, going into a big box store means being inundated with "May I help you?" as you navigate the aisles. Most of the day there are more employees than customers. I really don't know how they justify the staff. Since I live in a farm area of low population and probably most of you live in large population areas, that difference could explain the differing degrees of perceived service.
02778712 (banned)
MA

02778712 (banned) to RedCaliSS

to RedCaliSS
In the THD I use to shop at a lot here the employees hung out in groups talking to each other. Normally 3-4 working customer service with another 2-4 talking in front of customer service. They greeted you when you walked in since half the store was there but after that you're on your own unless you want to walk back to customer service.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool to LowesDepot

to LowesDepot
We should ask the Mexican's that hang out outside the stores. They probably know there way around the store than the employee's.

LowesDepot
@rr.com

LowesDepot

Anon

said by brianiscool:

We should ask the Mexican's that hang out outside the stores. They probably know there way around the store than the employee's.

Can't do that here. I know it's hard to believe since I have seen the situation in other parts of the country, but there are none here.
90115534 (banned)
Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA

90115534 (banned) to RedCaliSS

to RedCaliSS
Yes Home Depot has changed.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to RedCaliSS

Premium Member

to RedCaliSS
Lowes kicks Home Depots ass here.

Robert
Premium Member
Miami, FL

1 edit

Robert to brianiscool

Premium Member

to brianiscool
said by brianiscool:

Why? Home Depot has made each of their store's layout available online (e.g. »hdcontent.homedepot.com/ ··· 6976.pdf).

Xstar_Lumini
join:2008-12-14
CANADA

Xstar_Lumini to RedCaliSS

to RedCaliSS
Here in Tororonto, Canada they are great.. and huge! I love Home Depot.
Expand your moderator at work