uniqs
share rss forum feed

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3

[RI] Cox Business Hotspot AP's

I know this is a long shot, but looking to find out what the model number is for the newest access points leased out by Cox Business for Cox managed Hot-spots. Note, I said AP and not router/modem/gateway. Right now they have a WAP54G, and at -56 dBm there only about a 3Mbps throughput. Looking to see if Cox Business offer any AP with Wifi N for increased signal range and throughput. Or is it possible to buy your own AP? It uses some kind of redirect with a splash screen, so I'm not sure if retail would be compatible. If this is beyond scope, Mod your welcome to move/delete. Thank you.

DDR329

@cox.net

I know there was a post with a picture of the AP's before where the AP was on a strand powered off the plant. If the device is made to be specifically powered off the the cable plant the possibility to purchase your own AP is probably zip and none. This would probably be along the same equipment type as the older plant powered phone NID's of being a sole MSO product.

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI

Not sure what you mean by "powered off the plant". Do you mean Metro-E? Its connected to a standard DPC3010 modem, but I think its configured to use a Metro-E over HFC with a IP that routes to a authentication server on Cox's network with the splash screen for TOS?

But I think your right, needs to be Cox equipment. The problem is that equipment is rather old and the complex is looking for a upgrade. I am just someone who lives in the apartment complex, but I help them with IT related issues around the place, but since they don't employ me in a official sense, I am looking for technical data I can pass along so they may better define their service request. First time they had a technician out I think it was a residential technician and he replaced the modem instead. Second one I don't think knew where to get the equipment, but I am going by hearsay.

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI
reply to Optimus2357

Re: [RI] Cox Business Hotspot AP's (CB)

::Bump::
Anyone know? I called their support center but no one seems to know. I spoke with their Test Desk and confirmed their are AP's, just no one is sure of which. I have a technician schedule to go out, but I am told there is risk of a charge since nothing is technically wrong with the service, we just want to future proof it if we decide later to increase speed. Is there anyway of confirming, either way, that they have new AP's for Hotspots in RI, and if so, what models? Thanks.

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI
reply to Optimus2357

Re: [RI] Cox Business Hotspot AP's

In case anyone comes across this post, there are no new AP's as of 9/6/13, they are on the horizon though.