uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:2

1 edit

Wall/stud question

In planning for my structured wiring re-install/upgrade I need to drill some holes in the studs to get the wires down into the wall.

If I recall correctly, the top plate in the attic on this particular wall are double; one on top of the other. I am guessing this means its a load bearing portion of the structure, correct? Can I safely drill down through the top plates to make a few holes to allow me to drop down some schd 40 pvc to get to the media panel that I will be installing?
--
"Treat your men as you would your own beloved sons. And they will follow you into the deepest valley." -Sun Tzu

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
Unless code otherwise prohibits it, you should be good to go.
--
Sarcasm, like revenge, is best served ice cold.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to Hahausuck
How large of holes?

Hahausuck
Premium
I think code was 1" maximum diameter once you figured in all the dimensions, right?

I figure I will have to drop in several conduits, so I might as well run 3/4" pvc conduit and then foam around the top where it passes through the stud. Maybe I am thinking wrong here though?
--
"Treat your men as you would your own beloved sons. And they will follow you into the deepest valley." -Sun Tzu

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
reply to Hahausuck
Sounds about right.

I wouldn't stress too much about drilling too many holes if it's a top plate in the attic.
Just try not to get unlucky and drill INTO a stud underneath That would suck.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

1 recommendation

reply to Hahausuck
That would depend on whether it's 2x4, or a 2x6 load wall. 1" should be fine.
--

Hahausuck
Premium
Thanks.

I think I will cut the rock below the lid so I can see up and drill from bottom to top so I don't run into what alkizmo See Profile is talking about. Knowing my luck that'd happen to me. :P

For reference folks, here is what I am planning:

»www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductD···te=10251
--

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

1 recommendation

Yep. Nice to see what you're boring through first.
--

Hahausuck
Premium
Exactly.

Plus this is the room we are repainting and all of that stuff so its not like a little drywall repair in the closet at the top near the ceiling is going to be a pain. I have to repair the corners anyways as those are beat to hell.
--

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to Hahausuck
said by Hahausuck:

For reference folks, here is what I am planning:

Nice, look at mine!

As you can see, it's very well structured and permanently wired.

Hahausuck
Premium
Are you in I.T. at all by chance? That looks like what I.T. folks do for their wiring jobs.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

1 recommendation

A zip tie or 2 will tidy that right up.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to Hahausuck
said by Hahausuck:

Are you in I.T. at all by chance? That looks like what I.T. folks do for their wiring jobs.

No but I've been setting up networking for my family since I was 12. I developed the habit of not giving a damn what the setup looks like. Nobody else but me would work in it, so I don't have to make it "comprehensive".

Also, it's because my son kept asking every 10 seconds: "Why doesn't the internet work? why the TV doesn't work? what are you doing?"

said by Juggernaut:

I know better than to zip tie anything.
Anything that I've zipped tied in the past had to be cut apart a week later.

Hahausuck
Premium
Forget the zip ties. Wax string and lace that stuff. You'll make sure you do it 100% correctly the second time, because the first time you do it and have to cut it all apart to fix it you will say "why the hell didn't I just do it right the first time, this sucks!".
--

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
said by Hahausuck:

"why the hell didn't I just do it right the first time, this sucks!".

I can never know what is permanently right.

This is our main computer, our HTPC, our router, etc etc.
On the other side of the wall is the computer desk, with just the keyboard, mouse, monitor and a pair of speakers.
Further down that wall (behind the POV) on opposite side, again, is the TV, with speakers and a telephone.

Suffice that I add some speakers one day, things change.
I change my keyboard or mouse, wiring changes.
I need another USB device connected? wiring changes.

So I just don't care.
It's under the stairs, away from sight

Trimox

join:2012-09-24
Anywhere
reply to Hahausuck
As far as code in your area I can not say. But all of your walls are doubled just for structural reasons. Unless it has a rafter, joist, or knee wall on top of it is not load bearing.

Hahausuck
Premium
Well, I will try and get some photos before doing anything then.

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3
reply to Hahausuck
said by Hahausuck:

said by alkizmo:

Just try not to get unlucky and drill INTO the stud underneath

I think I will cut the rock below the lid so I can see up and drill from bottom to top so I don't run into what alkizmo See Profile is talking about.

Wait, what? You're going to cut open drywall to locate studs? You do know there's an entire class of inexpensive devices to accomplish this without opening the wall?

»m.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Hardware···1vZc23h/

H_T_R_N
Premium
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Hahausuck
said by Hahausuck:

If I recall correctly, the top plate in the attic on this particular wall are double; one on top of the other. I am guessing this means its a load bearing portion of the structure, correct?

Double or triple top plate does not necessarily mean it is a bearing wall. I always do a double top and bottom. Helps with crown molding installs and it a multi piece baseboard is going in sometimes I'll do a triple that gets construction adhesive and bolted to the joists below for stability, as some areas frown upon stacked top and bottom plates.

Back on topic.

Fire retardant foam like; »building.dow.com/na/en/products/···lock.htm

or another fire stop sealant\calking. I know where I am if you make a hole in a top or bottom plate it needs to be filled with a rated firestop. But even if required, its not a bad idea.

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

1 recommendation

reply to Hahausuck
While poking around in there make sure there is not a cat in the way of where you propose to install the cabinet.

And are you going to have an outlet in the panel? Need to get wire to that too.

lew_b
Premium
join:2003-05-11
Poughkeepsie, NY
reply to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

Velcro, can be a bit pricey but worth it.
--
Furlough 2013
Roadkill 2015

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to 54067323
said by 54067323:

While poking around in there make sure there is not a cat in the way of where you propose to install the cabinet.

Is this a case of autocorrect gone wrong, or am I missing something?
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
said by Cho Baka:

said by 54067323:

Funniest part is, it is not obvious as to what word is supposed to be in place of the cat, aside from the cabinet.

Shady Bimmer
Premium
join:2001-12-03
Northport, NY

2 recommendations

reply to Cho Baka
A 'cat' would be a horizontal framing member between vertical studs These are sometimes used to stiffen a wall.

Hahausuck
Premium
reply to pike
Kind of hard to see that stud when I'm up in the attic.....

Hahausuck
Premium
reply to 54067323
Yes. I've used the stud finder and there is not a cat in the wall where I want it.

Yep. Going to also drop in an outlet so I will need to also get the wire down the wall for that.
--

Tuscaloosa, AL

1 recommendation

reply to Cho Baka
said by Cho Baka:

Wall cat, a horizontal board aka a fire-break in commercial construction and called a cat in residential construction.

I residential they are commonly located about halfway from top to bottom which would put one right where a structured panel will go.

While they can be knocked out of the way, but being cross-nailed, doing so will leave behind nails on the right and left, which will interfere with the installation of the structured panel. Now most first timers will simply try straighten up and hammer back the nails until their tips are flush with the studs clearing the opening for the panel, however most times this hammering will unseat a few drywall screws on each side of the wall making for more repair work.

The simple and safer method is to cut the nails as close to flush as possible to the studs and then tap back the remaining tips until there is clearance for the panel.

Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to Hahausuck
said by Hahausuck:

Yep. Going to also drop in an outlet so I will need to also get the wire down the wall for that.

With low voltage as close to one stud as possible and power as close as possible to the opposite stud.

You have 16.5 inches width to work with so try to keep a foot or so separation if possible.

Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to lew_b
said by lew_b:

Velcro, can be a bit pricey but worth it.

Velcro can become quite in-expensive once all the Ty-Wraps have to be cut off and chucked to add "just one more cable.'

Hahausuck
Premium
reply to 54067323
Yup